Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bushfires and fuel reduction

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

ACT Greens minister Shane Rattenbury on his responsibility for hazard-reduction burning from 2012–2016:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/i-m-a-greens-minister-and-ordered-hazard-reduction-burning-20200109-p53q3h.html

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:38 pm

Good on him, though perpetuating the misdirection that when people refer to the Greens influence on fuel reduction they're referring to the political party.

I note that the head of the fire fighters union is strongly against a federal royal commission. That's one more reason IMO to hold one.

States are responsible for forestry management. States employ the fire fighters and "control" the councils. If there's been fault on the part of the states in insufficient fuel reduction and/or other preventative measures, it's unlikely to come out in a state inquiry.

the amount of misinformation coming from everywhere trying to justify their positions is ridiculous.

Global Warming makes things hotter and drier and can have other impacts on weather patterns.

Fires don't burn without fuel.

Since Global Warming isn't going away any time soon, regardless if the whole world gets on board and starts reducing CO2 emissions, we need to get smarter at looking at prevention cos it's pretty fkn clear, and has been for decades, that once a fire gets going you can't stop it all you can do is try to protect towns.

If the states are already doing best practice fire prevention then the bush is futterly ucked if we get some real hot weather

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:34 am

stui magpie wrote:
I note that the head of the fire fighters union is strongly against a federal royal commission. That's one more reason IMO to hold one.

You omitted his major point though which is: they need to audit and table all of the past recommendations about fire management.

Once they've done that they need to assess what was recommended, what was implmented and what wasn't

A RC may well mean just more recommendations of what already exists just for the recommedations to sit there. A genuine RC may well be the toicket however given so much hysteria how is one to be objective and not just be a political tool of the Morrison Muppett goverment? A Royal Comision into the Greens bush fire strategies is like a Trump trial: outcome is already known: Yes Minister 101 'Don't hold an enquiry unless you know the results Minister"

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:53 am

We need a genuine review by whatever title that can cut through the bullshit.

The Black Saturday RC recommended Vic burn X% of area each year, I forget the numbers. That never happened, instead Dandrews says it's more important to burn strategically than hit a numbers target. I personally would have thought both but never mind.

Is that OK or should it have been done different?

I'd like to know about claims land has been locked up and green tape preventing HR burns, I'd like to know what HR work was done against how much should have been done.

Given we're going to be getting hotter, drier, longer fire seasons, what needs to be done as preventative measures, what resources are needed, what restrictions need removing etc.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:15 am

watt price tully wrote:

A RC may well mean just more recommendations of what already exists just for the recommedations to sit there. ]

I reckon this would be the most likely case, so a waste of money and time that would be better spent actually doing something constructive.

Quote:
We need a genuine review by whatever title that can cut through the bullshit.

Agree and there should've been a dedicated apolitical national institution formed for this years ago. Instead, we have ridiculous decisions like this one:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/16/coalitions-axing-of-of-funding-to-climate-change-adaptation-body-condemned

Makes me inclined to believe that we are f**ked.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:04 am

Sometimes it’s hard to pick the right thread so I’ll just put this here.

NSW koala sanctuary's touching tribute to US pilots killed saving it from devastating bushfires

The New South Wales owner of a koala sanctuary that almost burned down in Australia's deadly bushfires earlier this year has revealed a touching tribute to three pilots who died defending his property.
American pilots Ian McBeth, Paul Hudson and Rick DeMorgan died in one of the most heartbreaking days of Australia's fierce summer, when their air tanker helicopter crashed near Cooma, south of Canberra, while battling the blazes.
At the time of the tragedy, James Fitzgerald's Two Thumbs Wildlife Trust sanctuary had been under threat from the flames.

"Having people in that plane die was very difficult because you can't fix it – you'd like to fix it, but you can't."
Six months on from the three pilots' deaths, Mr Fitzgerald has unveiled a tribute to the men who saved his sanctuary – naming three surviving koalas after them.

"If you've had a member of your family go to the other side of the world and died helping people, if those people don't recognise it, they've kind of died in vain in a way," Mr Fitzgerald said.
"We're making sure we say we're going to remember them."

More of the story here: https://www.9news.com.au/national/australia-bushfires-nsw-koala-sanctuary-cooma-tribute-pilots-killed-helicopter-crash-emergency-news/bfb703f5-4f07-443a-b865-35fc469c2090?fbclid=IwAR0Eq0gpFjnNCwLqMxhgU2Hlf_8j0hBttCW0BK0H0JyKo2GFHZo7WLqScRY

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:11 pm

thats brilliant, lovely thing to do.

i was at my sisters farm for the weekend, I did some cleaning up of ground fuel! built a ginormous bonfire while hubby set them up a shower and toilet.

and my older sister found some Koala poo, shes so excited!! they are trying to identify which trees the Koalas prefer, so they can do ...something, i forget what....to attract them. They have heaps of Wombat burrows, and she has cameras on them, and now a thing at the entrance to treat Mange! And lots of echidnas and a million kangaroos!

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:47 pm

^ yes wonderful!

That’s the sort of place we are looking for sounds bliss! Just want it to be not freezing at any time as well cause we are sooks Razz

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:03 pm

How are you with humidity?

https://www.realestate.com.au/buy/in-daintree,+qld+4873%3b/list-1?activeSort=price-asc&includeSurrounding=false

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:16 pm

^ humidity I can do actually we both can do!

Thanks - beautiful part of the world!

At a quick glance this one looks pretty good - not too big or shiny white ( one wants a hint of character) and no close neighbours of the human variety Razz

Massive workshop in the bush - himself is already packing Laughing

https://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-daintree-121232006

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:34 pm

Let me know once you move in, I'm coming to visit. Cool
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Absolutely - but make sure you eat your fill of meat before you come Wink Laughing To soften the pain there will always be a shipload of red waiting Razz

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:21 pm

shit thats so cheap

and yes it was a bit too chill at the farm! especially since one lives in an old small caravan, and the other i site office hubby converted to a bedroom/lounge for her, the use the not fully working loo in the unit that has no roof, and not many walls left, (it was very unsettling to use) and the shower in whats left of the house. they are waiting on a demo permit, but neither of them are organised, its been over 2 years since the first tornado hit!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:47 pm

Morrigu wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Absolutely - but make sure you eat your fill of meat before you come Wink Laughing To soften the pain there will always be a shipload of red waiting Razz

Give me a ration of 3 bottles of Shiraz per day and the only food I'll need is panadol

2 bottles I can survive on salad and stuff

1 bottle I'll need something meaty at least once per day.

0 bottles, booze free, you'll find me hunting crocs with a stolen butter knife

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 pm

^ Laughing Laughing sounds fair!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9   

Jump to: