Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Part 2 of TCR's Cultural, Season, and List Reviewi is up!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:29 am
Post subject: Part 2 of TCR's Cultural, Season, and List Reviewi is up!Reply with quote

You've been waiting for it, you really have!

Here it is! Part 2 of The Collingwood Rant's Cultural, Season, and List Review!

Find Part 2 on YouTube.

Listen to our podcast.

Like our Facebook page.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sly and Spook for another interesting show.

Sly, I’m thinking maybe you’ve gone too early on canning the Beams deal. A fit (mentally and physically) and in form Dayne Beams could make a world of difference to our team, especially given how the mid-field basically under-performed in 2018. There’s still plenty of time for this to happen!

Agree with your comments about:
* Brody –he’s a marvellous ruck-rover (roving to himself!), but as a tap ruckman there’s still room for improvement, with some effective tuition! As Spook says, I’d give him seven years, only if the last two were performance based.

* Adam Treloar is absolutely an outside player, which is why for a few games there when Rupert Wills was doing the tough in and under stuff well, he had a far more effective influence.

* Sidey’s future is on a forward flank

*It’s probably time for a freshen up with regard to some assistant coaches - Robert Harvey in particular.

* As for the discussion on injuries, you’re absolutely spot on – please see the thread here on Nick’s about the petition calling for an external review!! There’s a net profit of $3,875,111 for the 2018/2019 financial year available to be put to good use!!!

* You didn’t actually state it in as many words, but the club does take its supporters for granted IMHO. I have a suspicion that this may be partly because Eddie has become too comfortable in his position and at the very least, his Presidency needs to be challenged. I say this with much sadness, because Eddie has been an exceptional servant for the club and achieved many great things for it. However, there seems to be a sense of lassitude now surrounding the AFL team. I suggest that Eddie’s prolonged term in the main chair is a major part of this, as he seems more interested and stimulated by secondary developments around the club, such as the proliferation of other sporting teams under the Magpie banner.
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:13 pm

Thanks, PyreneesPie.

With Beams, honestly, I wouldn't have spent two first-round picks on a 29-year-old midfielder who's used his body as a battering ram throughout his career. I think we overpaid for a player we didn't desperately need. I would've spent one first-rounder. But not two.

I hope he comes back and is scintillating, but I'm always wary of players once they enter that phase of their career. The example I always use is Buckley himself. He won a Brownlow in 2003 (admittedly he was a bit older), and that was it. That was his last real full year as an elite mid.

On Grundy, I think all the non-ruck facets of his game are elite. And he will get better. But I do want to see him tapping more to advantage (they have to work out this relationship) and taking more big ruckman-like marks around the ground.

I think the list is not-quite-right, but in today's competition most of the lists are not-quite-right in some way. But, going forward, I believe we need to find the edge that we've lacked the last two seasons.

From 2007-09, we were good, but it was Ball and Jolly who pushed us into the next level. The integral one there, I believe, is Ball. Once he got in the midfield and started feeding the ball out, it allowed guys like Pendles, Daisy, and Swan to play more on the outside and exploit their respective strengths (Pendles: class and decision making; Daisy: pace and x-factor; Swan: relentless run and numbers).

Right now, that midfield doesn't work as it should. Despite the talent in there, it splutters. It's really going to rely on improvement from within.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:06 pm

Sly wrote:

Right now, that midfield doesn't work as it should. Despite the talent in there, it splutters. It's really going to rely on improvement from within.

Yeah, we had many discussions about that issue here on Nick's throughout last season. I believe it's THE biggest conundrum that we have. Ridiculous that we continually got done in centre clearances with the best ruckman in the league. However, for much of the year we didn't have a Luke Ball type available. Adams had a lengthy injury and Sier couldn't get on the park. Wills put in some excellent games when he was finally available and it certainly helped us. However, he couldn't sustain this run into the finals.

As you mentioned, it wouldn't hurt if Grundy just belted it forward occasionally, just to mix things up.

If JDG's hammies stay intact and he develops some more stamina, he could make a huge difference in the middle.
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:15 am

I've always thought to make that leap from good side to genuine contender, you need improvement to come from two unexpected sources.

In 1990, it was the inclusion of Scott Russell and Tony Francis. Both were quick and added dash to our midfield.

In 2002-03, it wasn't there. That was just this graduated improvement from a young list. I don't think Shane Woewodin really added anything in 2003. I believe Heath Scotland was already doing a similar job (and would've rather persevered with him).

Jumping from bottom-feeder in 2005 to a good side in 2006, we got a large injection of dash from Dane Swan and Heath Shaw. You wouldn't have thought they'd have the impact they did. (Ben Johnson and Ryan Lonie were also two huge improvers.)

In 2010, it was the addition of Darren Jolly and Luke Ball.

This year, I was a big advocate of sticking Greenwood back in the middle, because he has that toughness. The midfield chemistry wasn't working. But they persevered with what they knew.

Although we've lost Aish, I'm hoping the development of Scharenberg and Quaynor, and the addition of Noble and Bianco will allow us to push Maynard up into the middle. I think he could be a beast with his mongrel physicality and raking left foot.

The disappointment is that our injury issues have meant guys like Nathan Murphy, Tyler Brown, Will Kelly, etc., haven't gotten games and training into them that would see them offered as likely successors.

If we can keep De Goey fit and develop his tank, I think he could be a freak in the middle and, if he's being tagged, he can drop forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: