Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the best new car to buy for up to $35K

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
So, now that’s done, wpt, which Lamborghini will you be buying with the money you’ve saved? I think Prince Albert of Monaco still drives his 1967 Marzal, so that’s a reliable-enough model.

I believe Prince Andrew drives a trainwreck

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:32 pm

David wrote:
Okay, I'm up next. We need a car, and are happy to go secondhand so long as it's not going to break down on us within 2 years. Not sure exactly how much I have to spend, but I'll offer a rough hint: divide WPT's target by ten, and then maybe take another $1000 off... Razz

Having forensically examined your predicament; I think I have an appropriate and environmentally friendly solution; a pair of size tens at the local shoe store Smile .

Jokes aside; you could try the classic car solution. Take a 40 year old car and completely do it up (keeping it all original), join a classic car club and pay registration and insurance for 90 days a year in three year lots and keep a log book. If you only need the car a few days a week it can work as a cheap alternative. You kind of need to be mechanically minded; but if you choose a simple model car with abundant spare parts it can work. No computers' , no air-con, no power steering; all pre 1980.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:57 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
Okay, I'm up next. We need a car, and are happy to go secondhand so long as it's not going to break down on us within 2 years. Not sure exactly how much I have to spend, but I'll offer a rough hint: divide WPT's target by ten, and then maybe take another $1000 off... Razz

You want safe, reliable and aren't too fussed at power?

This site is great to get an idea of value so if you find a car you can check if the asking price is fair https://www.redbook.com.au/

Try Gumtree and Carsales.com.au to find a car

My daughter bought a Kia Rio new about 7 years ago, hasn't had a problem with it despite the bonnet only being opened when it goes in for a service and she's ticked off lots of KM's city driving. They don't seem to have a great resale value but i put that down to cheap finishes rather than reliability

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

this will go quick, i reckon they would take $2,500 REGO til feb, comes with a RWC. DO NOT BUY A CHEAP CAR WITHOUT A RWC!!!

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-albans/cars-vans-utes/mazda-323-2000-blue-great-condition-with-rwc/1233875962

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/buy-sell-or-transfer-a-vehicle/check-vehicle-registration/vehicle-registration-enquiry

another nearer to you

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bentleigh-east/cars-vans-utes/1999-ford-fiesta-auto-rwc-rego-very-tidy-/1231504872

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bentleigh-east/cars-vans-utes/1999-ford-fiesta-auto-rwc-rego-very-tidy-/1231504872

Thanks both! And Pi, too. Will look into those – totally agree about the importance of roadworthy. We almost bought a car off a friend last year for a song, but she took it for a roadworthy and was told that the chassis was damaged and that it would cost thousands to fix. Glad we didn't find that out after the sale...

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:34 pm

Pi wrote:
David wrote:

Having forensically examined your predicament; I think I have an appropriate and environmentally friendly solution; a pair of size tens at the local shoe store Smile .

Jokes aside; you could try the classic car solution. Take a 40 year old car and completely do it up (keeping it all original), join a classic car club and pay registration and insurance for 90 days a year in three year lots and keep a log book. If you only need the car a few days a week it can work as a cheap alternative. You kind of need to be mechanically minded; but if you choose a simple model car with abundant spare parts it can work. No computers' , no air-con, no power steering; all pre 1980.

not sure whether to laugh or cry at this! Hubby loves this idea, far too much! While i love the Mustang, and would never part with Her, have you ever heard of a Ford Pilot?? I have now, or an old bomb Ford Falcon from around 1970? they just keep appearing! classics I tell ya, they will never lose their value!! Dont do it David, parts are a nightmare!!

K 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:00 am

think positive wrote:
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/buy-sell-or-transfer-a-vehicle/check-vehicle-registration/vehicle-registration-enquiry

TP, if you had to guess, do you think ACCC & Vicroads will rule roadworthy (i.e. allow registration for) cars that have had their airbags removed?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:02 am

K wrote:
think positive wrote:

TP, if you had to guess, do you think ACCC & Vicroads will rule roadworthy (i.e. allow registration for) cars that have had their airbags removed?

Nope, all safety mechanisms and features must be in good safe working order, so absolutely not. I used to do roadworthy checks, unless something has radically changed, and if anything, from what Ive experienced getting cars roadworthy now, it’s got more stringent,. I’d be extremely surprised if they did. And quite frankly, horrified!

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:11 am

think positive wrote:
Pi wrote:
David wrote:

not sure whether to laugh or cry at this! Hubby loves this idea, far too much! While i love the Mustang, and would never part with Her, have you ever heard of a Ford Pilot?? I have now, or an old bomb Ford Falcon from around 1970? they just keep appearing! classics I tell ya, they will never lose their value!! Dont do it David, parts are a nightmare!!

It can work.
Provided you have been working on cars since age 12, have a shed full of parts, a workshop with 35k worth of tools, and an engineering background.
Fuel economy isn’t great on an HQ Ute but its great as a second car or if you only need it once or twice a week.
Speaking of Ford Pilots.
https://www.justcars.com.au/cars-for-sale/1947-ford-pilot-sedan/JCW5043733
yr’ gonna be rich I tells ya; rich. Razz

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:15 am

I meet precisely none of those criteria, haha. But it’s fun to think about!
K 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:15 am

think positive wrote:
K wrote:
TP, ... do you think ACCC & Vicroads will rule roadworthy (i.e. allow registration for) cars that have had their airbags removed?

Nope, all safety mechanisms and features must be in good safe working order, so absolutely not. I used to do roadworthy checks, unless something has radically changed, and if anything, from what Ive experienced getting cars roadworthy now, it’s got more stringent,. I’d be extremely surprised if they did. And quite frankly, horrified!

I see. But is it really worse than driving an old car that never had an airbag? I would guess not, unless the manufacturer made the rest of the car "less safe", relying on the airbag to meet safety specs. And drivers are still allowed to drive 80s cars without air bags, right?
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:24 am

Morrigu wrote:
^ Thanks for that!

Looks too hard for me ( I get bored easily) - think we will just buy one.

Novated lease isn't a bad idea, you can also just get a lease for the car, not an 'operating lease' that includes the running costs (reg/tyres etc)

Basically, if you're paid $1000 gross per week, and the car payment works out to be $200 per week, you only pay tax on the $800 remaining after the lease payment.

Personally I'd go car only, not running costs. They already jam you on the interest rate then you get jammed on where to buy tyres, service it etc. Just get the car & do the rest yourself.

I know someone who could hook you up with a good new/recent model used car Wink
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:41 am

Pi wrote:
think positive wrote:
Pi wrote:
David wrote:

It can work.
Provided you have been working on cars since age 12, have a shed full of parts, a workshop with 35k worth of tools, and an engineering background.
Fuel economy isn’t great on an HQ Ute but its great as a second car or if you only need it once or twice a week.
Speaking of Ford Pilots.
https://www.justcars.com.au/cars-for-sale/1947-ford-pilot-sedan/JCW5043733
yr’ gonna be rich I tells ya; rich. Razz

you know my hubby hey???!! and holy shit on that link! He better get to work on it, it doesnt quite look like that! But it was cheap, obviously, wow!!!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:49 am

K wrote:
think positive wrote:
K wrote:
TP, ... do you think ACCC & Vicroads will rule roadworthy (i.e. allow registration for) cars that have had their airbags removed?

I see. But is it really worse than driving an old car that never had an airbag? I would guess not, unless the manufacturer made the rest of the car "less safe", relying on the airbag to meet safety specs. And drivers are still allowed to drive 80s cars without air bags, right?

In Australia yes they are! not sure if there is an actual law there, but in Germany we noticed the good condition of all the cars and trucks! no bombs anywhere! no cars older than maybe 10 years!

I get your point but i dont agree. If you have a safety feature, have it working and use it. The more air bags the better! Are they safer now? thats debatable, the crush factor is supposed to absorb the impact, i guess you have to trust the crash test engineers on that one! I can tell you i checked the rating, and reviews on the cars we have bought our kids, and ourselves!

Personally id like to see cars over a certain age have mandatory RWC and anything not to standard off the road. Obviously apart from collector cars, which do have to pass the same roadworthy test for applicable items.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:02 am

Morrigu wrote:
^ Thanks for that!

your hubby is a tradie so ill assume some mechanical knowledge, check out Manheim Government auction, they have full service history, and usually rego, manual transmission cars go really cheap there. No you dont get a warranty, but they are fully serviced, and a lot get sold to Dealers to sell. certainly it gives you an idea of prices. You can bid on line you dont have to attend.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:37 pm

luvdids wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
^ Thanks for that!

Novated lease isn't a bad idea, you can also just get a lease for the car, not an 'operating lease' that includes the running costs (reg/tyres etc)

Basically, if you're paid $1000 gross per week, and the car payment works out to be $200 per week, you only pay tax on the $800 remaining after the lease payment.

Personally I'd go car only, not running costs. They already jam you on the interest rate then you get jammed on where to buy tyres, service it etc. Just get the car & do the rest yourself.

I know someone who could hook you up with a good new/recent model used car Wink

The Salary packaging company my employer uses seem quite flexible. While I get a free BP card and a shell card (the latter with a minor amount per use) I can still use United with my Pies card for the 4 cents off and get reimbursed at a later date

My insurance was $1000 less than their insurance per year Shocked again no issue

If I need tyre replacement I can do my own: again on a reimbursement basis. The guy I was working with from the Salary Packaging company was very easy to deal with: there was no issue for him to separate a fool from his money Wink

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:42 pm

David wrote:

I've had some luck with $1000 shitbox commodores. Just get the roadworthy done with second hand parts then drive it into the ground Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: