Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gender and domestic violence

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't work out which thread to post this in...

Poison in the press as Arizona couple's divorce goes very public

https://www.theage.com.au/business/small-business/poison-in-the-press-as-arizona-couple-s-divorce-goes-very-public-20181214-p50m81.html

Is it possible defamation? Possible domestic violence (i.e. attempted murder)? Something else? (Do we have a journalism ethics thread?)
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:04 pm

I'd count this as a death from domestic violence

https://www.news.com.au/national/a-broken-mothers-inescapable-grief-olga-edwards-reached-a-tragic-point-of-despair/news-story/82999f325c4fc520cca16170c931e264

Woman in Sydney who's ex husband murdered their teenage kids a few months back then killed himself, has apparently committed suicide in the lead up to Christmas.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:12 am

I agree, that poor woman, those poor kids, what a $Ł$%^%%$ selfish bastard he was
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:37 am

I'm putting this here without assuming guilt, innocence or facts not recorded..

Quote:
Militant union boss John Setka has been charged after an ugly Boxing Day row with his lawyer wife Emma Walters at his home.

Mr Setka, the Victorian head of the powerful Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union, is due to face Melbourne Magistrates’ Court next week.

Police were called to the couple’s home, which is in Melbourne’s west, after emergency services were alerted.
Leonie Johnson, a Victoria Police spokeswoman, said: “Police attended a West Footscray address following reports of an argument on Boxing Day.

“A 54-year-old man was arrested and charged with a court order offence. He was bailed and will appear in Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on January 9.”

The case is being handled by Victoria Police’s Westgate Family Violence Investigation Unit.

A couple of hours later, his wife was arrested 300km west of Melbourne, speeding, with the 2 young kids in the car, and blew .282 BAC. Shocked

As a rule of thumb, 1 standard drink is worth 0.025 to your BAC and a healthy liver eliminates 1 standard drink per hour. so, assuming she wasn't drinking while driving and had been on the road for a while to get 300km toward Adelaide, that's essentially the equivalent of necking 2/3 of a bottle of vodka then jumping behind the wheel.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/john-setkas-wife-emma-walters-blows-28-after-boxing-day-row/news-story/c90e94385f7cf2f88277c303e32c9186

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:55 pm

Surely there is one sane member of the family can have the kids?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:19 pm

Little Johnny Howard is being praised, and deservedly so, for intervening in a domestic dispute.

Quote:
In a Sunday Telegraph exclusive, the publication reported that the 79-year-old former PM was on his daily walk near his home in Wollstonecraft on Sydney’s north shore about 7.45am on Wednesday when he saw a couple fighting on the street.

The Daily Telegraph reported that Mr Howard called out “Hey” in a bid to stop the fight, before standing with the woman until police arrived.

Police pointed out he was in no way involved with the fracas, but has since provided them with a statement.

The guy is nearly 80 and not exactly big and intimidating, that's taking a fair risk with your own safety. Good on him.

Apparently (I read elsewhere) a man was attempting to put something in a bin, triggering a row with a woman that allegedly escalated into physical violence.

But, interesting little twist
Quote:
Police confirmed to news.com.au that a 44-year-old woman has been charged with breaching an apprehended domestic violence order and granted conditional bail to appear at Manly Local Court on Tuesday — while a man, aged 47, was taken to hospital as a mental health precaution. Both the man and woman are known to each other.

“Police hope to speak with the man once he is deemed well enough,” a police statement read.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/former-prime-minister-john-howard-witnesses-domestic-violence-incident-on-street/news-story/4f0c72b9667b6eeed1428d2881867926

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:29 pm

Interesting conversation with the son tonight.

Apparently (allegedly) his exe's new bloke has been a bit free and handy with the physical stuff, both towards her and her son.

Now, the kid can be a handful and his ex is someone who would definitely provoke people to the point of whacking her (without excusing that action in any way, my son never hit her despite provocation), so now he is apparently in remand and she is in a hotel room paid for by the government.

My son has had his week messed up, having to leave work to go to the house and get stuff for her and try to settle down a really out of sorts 3 year old. When they arrived tonight, he explained things to me and said if the kid doesn't want dinner, just give him whatever he wants. If it's Ice cream, so be it. So it was. Took the kid in the park while the rest ate dinner, he was on about 60% rat power, but still had fun.

The bloke is a solid boy, but most of it's fat. My son picked up quickly that the guy was shit frightened of him, despite him doing nothing to earn that. Giving him a dose of his own medicine would be like smacking a blacmange.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:05 pm

Good on her for getting him locked up and getting herself and child safe. Hopefully She doesn’t backtrack
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:27 pm

K wrote:
A bit off topic: I'm looking at this Fortnite streaming video [imbedded in the article below] that captured an altercation between a gamer and his wife. It's really only audio. You don't see him slapping his wife, though you hear a lot.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/nsw/partner-of-fortnite-gamer-applies-to-change-avo-conditions-20181213-p50lyg.html

Police charged him. He lost his Telstra job. I'm wondering what you think about that, David? I guess you think Telstra should butt out. [Oh, I see it says "suspended", not "sacked". 'Telstra general manager media Steve Carey said the alleged assault "goes against what we stand for as an organisation..." ']

The media have gone to town. Pictures of him in bed trying to avoid them...

Here's the coda to that story, by the way:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/13/fortnite-gamer-who-assaulted-pregnant-partner-during-livestream-avoids-jail

Quote:
Munday in September pleaded guilty to assaulting his partner, Grace Campbell, while live-streaming a Fortnite game at their Oran Park home, in Sydney’s south-west, in December 2018.

She was heard asking him to come to dinner with their family and, after Munday repeatedly refused, she became frustrated and threw several objects at him.

In response he stood up, slapped her on the left side of her face and pulled her to the ground.

While the assault was not captured on video, numerous witnesses, who were watching via video streaming site Twitch, heard a loud slapping noise and reported it to police.

The court heard that his former partner has been charged for the incident and they are now separated.

Douglass said he considered sending Munday to jail and that his offence was just below the mid-range of offending.

Mercael told the court that Munday was minding his own business when he was provoked.

He said that the police had been called to the home on 20 to 30 occasions, that he was the victim of domestic violence and had previously suffered scratches and a busted lip.

The court heard that Munday had on several occasions lost his job due to widespread media coverage, had wept after the incident was publicised on gaming websites and was abused via social media.

Douglass warned Munday, who was in 2011 convicted of common assault, that the offence carried a maximum jail term of two years.

“I suggest things being thrown is unacceptable but the response was inappropriate, unlawful and violent,” Douglass said. “The submissions made on your behalf, if they had not been made, I would have viewed the threshold may have been reached and perhaps considered some form of custodial sentence.”

Here's a little more on his partner's assault charge:

https://thebrag.com/partner-of-alleged-fortnite-livestream-abuser-charged-with-domestic-assault/

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:12 pm

You have to wonder in a similar but reversed reciprocal violence situation where a woman has endured constant low level assaults then snaps back if any judge would be threatening jail, any employer sacking or suspending or any online commentator vilifying her.

The fact is that men in these situations are held to a far, far higher standard of behaviour. They're expected to have the patience of a saint while facing assaults and emotional/psychological attacks. They're expected to accept the "walk away", "why don't you leave" crap that women victims face as well as "you're bigger and stronger, how could you let this happen" derision on top.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:31 pm

That concerns me too, Wokko. More people need to speak up about this double standard.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:34 pm

Wokko wrote:
You have to wonder in a similar but reversed reciprocal violence situation where a woman has endured constant low level assaults then snaps back if any judge would be threatening jail, any employer sacking or suspending or any online commentator vilifying her.

The fact is that men in these situations are held to a far, far higher standard of behaviour. They're expected to have the patience of a saint while facing assaults and emotional/psychological attacks. They're expected to accept the "walk away", "why don't you leave" crap that women victims face as well as "you're bigger and stronger, how could you let this happen" derision on top.

Your bias lies in the words “low level assaults” while simultaneously minimising the said slap: It was of such low intensity that it was heard online & reported to the police. 🙄

Having said that it is women who are murdered by their violent partners as you well know not men, almost exclusively.

Having said that I don’t understand why anyone stays in abusive relationships but I have choices. Not like a lot of (in certain parts of society) women and some / fewer men

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:32 pm

Yet you don't question the low level assaults comment which diminishes her violence even though she's facing an assault charge and her violence was totally unprovoked. I don't believe I diminished what he did in the slightest, he slapped her and threw her to the ground, a slap of any magnitude would be audible and even if a man acts in self defence there's always a white knight ready to use violence, either personal or of the state, against him.

I've been in this situation, I've had to disarm a knife wielding partner when she came at me and when the police arrived it was ME who had to take my daughter and leave the house after initially the police were going to leave her with a drunk, violent abuser. Had I been just a bit less capable of verbal argument I'd have been led away in cuffs. It took an hour of questioning and HER father talking to the cops in my defence to convince them that she was the instigator and abuser. Even then it was still me who had to leave.

She has subsequently repartnered and just lost custody of her new kids but not before her new partner got kicked out of the house and had to face court due to false allegations and constant violence and emotional abuse (I haven't even scratched the surface here).

As for murders there are plenty of examples of women murdering both their partners and far more often their own children. Lets not pretend that women are wholly virtuous creatures, there are as many evil c*** women as there are men, it's only due to men's physical advatanges that more aren't killed/assaulted physically.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:38 pm

WPT, I'm pretty sure Wokko was referring to the actions she had committed against him as "low level assaults" (which seems to be a fair description, from the coverage above) in his analogy.

Otherwise, I'm astonished how often I read throwaway lines in opinion pieces that murders or serious physical assaults committed by women against their partners need to be "contextualised" as often having occurred in mutually violent relationships. I mean, no shit; but am I crazy to see that as a deliberate attempt to minimise and/or justify the phenomenon? Because the same undoubtedly happens often in the reverse scenario, and yet nobody on the progressive side of this issue seems to be using that as a justification for male violence (more to the point, it's just simply never brought up). There are lots of partners who beat each other up; it seems strange that we're only disposed to treating one kind of person as a victim.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:45 pm

C'mon David, you know there's an approved narrative around these things. In summary it goes "Men are at fault, women are the victims". The fact that it's true in most cases doesn't disguise the fact that when it isn't true, when something happens that doesn't fit the narrative, it's either twisted to force fit, downplayed or ignored.

The situation Wokko described with his ex is not very common in the attempted assault but very common in the rest. That is one reason (to partly answer WPT's question) why Men at least don't leave abusive partners if there's a mortgage or kids involved. They know the wife will get the house and kids and he'll be paying for it.

Growing up in a country town everyone knows everyone elses business. I'm aware of fathers of kids I went to school with who's regular routine seemed to be go to the pub after work, go home pissed, eat dinner, smack the wife around (those two sometimes in the other order) then go to bed.

On the other hand, there were more women who engaged in psychological violence. The "husband" was a sperm donar and life support system for a wallet, which she controlled, and who was systematically emasculated and belittled. basically gaslighting before that term came to be. If any of them ever snapped and physically retaliated, no cops were involved, rather it was just used to add a guilt trip to the arsenal.

1 woman a week is killed in domestic violence in Australia, which is a tragic stat and gets a lot of airplay

That 6 men a day take their own lives in Australia only gets raised when there's a mens mental health campaign

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10   

Jump to: