Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Remaining FAs

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug44 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:54 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean Varcoe is already contracted for 2020?

Or that he hasn't been with us for long enough to be eligible for free agency and would have to be delisted first to be picked up by someone else?
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:50 pm
Post subject: Re: Remaining FAsReply with quote

From the "top 8" in the O.P.;

Quote:
FREE AGENTS STILL AVAILABLE

Sam Jacobs - Adelaide Crows (restricted) Gone to GWS.

Jack Newnes - St Kilda (restricted) Linked to Carlton

Ben Reid - Collingwood Staying at Collingwood.

Sam Murray - Collingwood

Paul Puopolo - Hawthorn Staying at Hawthorn

Nathan Brown - St Kilda

Daniel Menzel - Sydney Swans

Chris Masten - West Coast Eagles

I think it's just about safe to say we wont be looking at any free-agents for season 2020. Newnes is the best left, but he isnt what you'd call a superstar. And when Murray is ranked the 4th best, you know it really must be some list. Laughing

It's only if we look at someone that's been delisted from here. Some have suggested Buzza for example. Another example mentioned has been Harley Bennell.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:58 pm

jatsad wrote:
Magden - a fill in at best

That's Sier. Laughing

K 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:25 pm

And Nobel is the new Magden.
jatsad 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:43 pm

K wrote:
And Nobel is the new Magden.

He's better that that. Only played 4 or 5 games.
Give him a chance.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:29 pm

As a group on nicks, we've decided there isnt anything for us to look at in the remaining FA pool.

I was semi-keen on Jack Newnes for the right contract, but no one else seems to agree. He's been linked to Carlton. He's in St Kildas best 22 and I dont mind his numbers from 2019: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jack_Newnes.html Although, it seems he is not the most accurate kick. He isnt "an upgrade" and doesnt "fill an urgent need". So I guess its curtains for that idea.

So, is there anything in the delisted free agent pool? Again, there isnt much to work with, but I'll try. Dont get too excited.

Nick Robertson:
Delisted by the Lions in somewhat of a surprise.
Pros: Elite endurance, tough as all hell, 70+ games experience, 24 years old, seems to like the dirty work, can play on talls and smalls, 191 cm.
Cons: Not a huge ball winner, not overly quick, not a goal kicker, not the most accurate kick.

Position; Utility? Is he a tagger, a hard ball midfielder, a defensive back flanker? His Lions bio says he played on Franklin and Martin... so I guess he's a utility. Certainly not a KPP.

His 2017 and 2018 numbers are not bad (Keeping in mind the Lions were bottom 2 both years).

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/N/Nick_Robertson.html

Chris Masten:
Delisted by West Coast to make room for younger players (Kelly).
Pros: 200+ games experience.
Cons: Is 30, only 180cm.

Position: Midfielder.

Has been linked to Fremantle and Gold Coast. I highly doubt he's high up on many wish lists and would suit a club that is only looking for a bit of leadership/experience.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/C/Chris_Masten.html

Nathan Hrovat:
Delisted by North Melbourne.
Pros: Is quick.
Cons: 175cm, has failed to cement himself at 2 clubs, is a "ball-winner" and "goal-kicker" according to his profile but the numbers dont match that.

Position: Midfield/Small Forward.

He is exactly like Billy Hartung. Showed something early on and then never reached his potential. Feel like he's the type to do really well in the VFL, but disappear in the AFL. Maybe if he had his time again, he'd be a better player.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/N/Nathan_Hrovat.html

Wylie Buzza:
Delisted by Geelong to make room for 31 year old Jenkins.
Pros: 23 years old, 198cm, kicked 30+ goals in the VFL this year (Is that a pro?), is a KPP-FF, a good kick for goal and a good mark too.
Cons: Bit slow and heavy, only 6 AFL games in 4 seasons is a worry.

Position: Full Forward.

We're desperate to find someone to help our forward line. He has the height and marking capability. He can kick straight too. But when you're limited to 6 games in 4 seasons, something is up. He is very well liked in the playing group and a bit of a character apparently. Thats great, but we need someone that can jump in and play the position. I'm almost willing to give him a chance, but that may be because of the limited FF's available right now. Does he deserve to take Max Lynchs spot?

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/W/Wylie_Buzza.html

Dale Thomas:
Retired by Carlton to make room for younger players before trading in Eddie Betts.
Pros: 250+ games experience.
Cons: 32 years old. Smells like Mark LoGiudice.

Position: Defensive mid.

You cant be serious right? Well no. Not really. Does he still have it? The question is, could he cover the spot left by Levi Greenwood? He was still in Carltons best players, not that that is saying much. I didnt like the way he left and to be honest, I wouldnt want to see him back disrupting the club. Will suit a club looking for an older head and a salesman. #goldcoastsuns

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/D/Dale_Thomas.html

Harley Bennell:
Delisted by Fremantle. I guess they'd had enough?
Pros: 26 years old. Fast runner. Ball winner. Can kick a goal.
Cons: A lot of games missed from 2016-now. A shocking history of soft tissue injuries.

Position: Midfield.

A gamble. But if he found his form again, well worth it. Dont know if any other clubs are having a look, but if we found ourselves with him on the rookie list, I think it's worth a shot. But geez those injuries are a worry.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/H/Harley_Bennell.html

Matthew Broadbent:
Delisted by Port Adelaide.
Pros: 170+ games under his belt, ball winner.
Cons: 29 years old.

Position: Defensive midfielder.

Im just thinking of covering Levi Greenwood, thats all. I'm sure there's a better option out there. He's been fairly good for Port. Another that will suit a team looking for an older experienced player.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/M/Matthew_Broadbent.html

Fraser McInnes:
Delisted by West Coast.
Pros: 197cm. Duel position KPP/Utility.
Cons: Only 14 games in 4 seasons.

Position: Utility.

I felt like he was close to breaking into their side, but couldnt manage to hold his spot. They are a tough team to break into right now.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/F/Fraser_McInnes.html

Notable players that are not yet delisted but are yet to receive a new contract include:
Allen Christensen (Lions), Riley Knight (Crows), Sam Gray (Power), Tory Dickson (Bulldogs), Daniel Menzel (Swans), Jack Martin (Suns). But I'm sure Martin will end up at Carlton, which sucks.

I'm sure a few more delistings will come, but I feel like we might just fill our final spots with new draftees.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:31 pm

RE: Harley Bennell:

Quote:
The history of Harley Bennell's calves

Sunday, March 2, 2014 – Bennell plays a pre-season game for Gold Coast against Collingwood but a problematic calf issue means he doesn't return, via the NEAFL, until April.

Pre-Christmas, 2015 – Suffered a calf injury and has 'ongoing calf problems' during the pre-season.

Saturday, March 19, 2016 – Calf strain while playing for Peel Thunder. Picked up 23 disposals and slotted four goals in that display.

Friday, November 18, 2016 – Left calf strain at training, which was then considered his 'good' calf.

Sunday, December 10, 2016 – Bennell leaves for Munich, Germany, to consult with world-renowned soft-tissue expert Dr Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt for his problematic calves.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 – Another left calf injury. Initially diagnosed as a minor tear but further scans showed it was more serious than first thought. Had yet to resume full training before that setback.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 – Grade one tear in his left calf while training with Peel.

Saturday, June 2, 2018 – Calf tightness in his fourth-straight game for Peel. Sat out the second half of the clash with Claremont.

Saturday, July 28, 2018 – Left calf injury while playing for Peel. Pulled up short early in the last quarter after a 27-disposal and two-goal effort against West Perth and went to the bench, but eventually returned to the field.

Saturday, August 18, 2018 – Calf injury while playing for Peel in the second half of a match against Claremont, attempting a comeback after three weeks on the sidelines.

Week of January 21, 2019 – Bennell experiences calf tightness during a pre-season training session.

Friday, February 8, 2019 – Bennell strains a calf while training.

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 - Bennell experiences calf soreness at the end of training. An ultrasound showed no abnormalties, but an MRI confirmed he had re-injured his right calf.

Saturday, June 23, 2019 - Bennell suffers a 'significant right calf tear' early on in his fourth straight WAFL game as he was closing in on an AFL recall.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:53 pm

Presti35 wrote:
RE: Harley Bennell:

Quote:
The history of Harley Bennell's calves
Sunday, December 10, 2016 – Bennell leaves for Munich, Germany, to consult with world-renowned soft-tissue expert Dr Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt for his problematic calves.

Hmmm....

Does Dr Hans come from Somerset?

https://twitter.com/johncleese/status/879273958696251392
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:33 pm

So for mine:

Some interest:
Harley Bennell (A-grader when fit)

Minor interest:
Jack Newnes (Not essential, but helps cover the loss of Aish)
Nick Robertson (Tough and aggressive. We lack a bit of that. Helps cover Greenwood injury as a tagger)
Wylie Buzza (Just for an option at FF)

Extremely Minor Interest:
Dale Thomas (Not essential, but helps cover the loss of Greenwood)
Matthew Broadbent (Not essential, but helps cover the loss of Greenwood)
Tory Dickson (Actually, he's 32. Forget it.)
Riley Knight (Not a fit right now. But can do alright at the right club)

Would list Jack Martin, but I'm sure he will end up at Carlton via the PSD.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:51 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Keays

This guy was the best prospect in Queensland between 2014-16 and for some reason suffered with injury, form and job security when elevated to the Seniors. Nice link with Uncle Terry but as a delisted free agent he is worth considering.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:31 pm

inxs88 wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Keays

This guy was the best prospect in Queensland between 2014-16 and for some reason suffered with injury, form and job security when elevated to the Seniors. Nice link with Uncle Terry but as a delisted free agent he is worth considering.

Theres a few from that NEAFL GF side that had gained interest, including Cutler who was traded to Essendon.

From what I've read, Keays was best on ground in the 2017 NEAFL GF, winning the Andrew Ireland Medal. And was amongst the best players in the 2019 NEAFL GF with 4 goals.

At 185cm, he is a small/medium forward and midfielder. So he doesnt fill an urgent need. But at 22, he may be worth a shot.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:47 pm

I dont think we'll be interested in either, but Jay Kennedy Harris and Billy Stretch were delisted by Melbourne yesterday.

JKH: Age 24, 173cm, 39 games.
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jay_Kennedy_Harris.html

I like seeing 7, 8 tackles in a game, but it isnt often enough. He is pacey. Has a bad hamstring injury history. Is an indigenous player and came to Melbourne with a bit of expectation around him.

The hamstring has held him back since 2016.

Stretch: Age 23, 180cm, 47 games.
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/B/Billy_Stretch.html

Another that looked fairly good in his second season, but fell away. Also has pace, and can tackle. His disposal and decision making have been mentioned as his strength, but its worrying why he was in and out of the side and why he hardly saw any AFL action in 2018 and 2019. He has no history of injuries and it seems his VFL form was fairly good. A father-son draftee that hasnt made it at Melbourne.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:21 pm

Tom Jok delisted by Essendon
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:32 pm

That's a shame to hear. He certainly struggled in his only AFL match against us, but would have thought he'd get more of a chance than that. Looked good in the VFL.

Perhaps goes to show that a round 23 debut can be a poisoned chalice.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:07 pm

Masten retired didn't he? Got something else to do that's not footy, iirc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: