Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Grundy re-signs.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug44 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
... Grundy is over a year younger than Treloar, doesn't depend on his pace to get a kick and hasn't ripped either hamstring off the bone (yet)...

Be patient. Club sources say they are working on it.

I'll pay that, that was funny.

Touch wood though, Jesus H Christ.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:17 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Don't you go simple on me, eddie - the point is that Treloar already has a 6-year contract in place. He got a six-year contract to come to Collingwood, too. He just likes that little bit of extra security, apparently:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/04/11/magpie-star-all-for-monster-contracts/

Meanwhile, people are saying Grundy should settle for 5 years.

As to your observation about the end of 2025, Grundy is over a year younger than Treloar, doesn't depend on his pace to get a kick and hasn't ripped either hamstring off the bone (yet) - so how is Treloar worth the punt on a contract to age 32 and a half and Grundy not?

Not really your best work P4S.

Treloar was only 22 when he signed his 6 year contract so will be 28 at the end of 2021 season.

Grundy will be about to turn 27 come round 1 of the 2021 season.

5 years on excellent money with the potential for triggers to be attached for a 6th and 7th season would seem like a very reasonable offer if it's the one we put in front of Brodie.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Treloar has been extended to 2025.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/gold-coast-suns-bombshell-play-for-adam-treloar-amid-secret-afl-trade-talks-revealed/news-story/e20d9b2420f783e845581bf5831ea487
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:54 pm

I really don't see the need for all the angst or need for accusations of disloyalty against Grundy.

He's contracted for 2020 and will play at Collingwood in 2020.

He wants to stay but wants a long term deal, the club is baulking at it, so they're negotiating.

I expect things to work out and won't be expending any energy stressing about it.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:33 pm

I think that's what was said on about page 5 of the 100 plus page Travis Cloke thread. Shocked Confused
K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:37 pm

Dunno, Rudey. All I can remember from that thread is you repeatedly telling Travis and his father to f*** off. Wink
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:46 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I think that's what was said on about page 5 of the 100 plus page Travis Cloke thread. Shocked Confused

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Don't get stressed about anything you have no control over. Good for the blood pressure. Wink

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:49 pm

K wrote:
Dunno, Rudey. All I can remember from that thread is you repeatedly telling Travis and his father to f*** off. Wink

...and they wouldn't listen to me. Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:59 pm

Happily for us, as Travis was one of Collingwood’s greatest ever players. Played with just one club until we trashed his brand by dropping him three times in one season. 14th all time for Collingwood games and 7th all time on Collingwood’s goal-kicking honours board.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:31 am

That’s the thing, you think about poorly we treated a far superior talent like Clokey at 29 and people want to sign Grundy till he’s 33 on good money? No thanks
E 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:28 am

RudeBoy wrote:
K wrote:

Pretty sure K wasn't a thing back then. What were you back then?

K 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:11 am

Huh?? Question
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:25 pm

E wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
K wrote:

Pretty sure K wasn't a thing back then. What were you back then?

I've always been me....I think. Confused
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:01 am

https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-10-24/the-data-game-the-concerning-stat-for-brodie-grundy

The stat exposed within this clip is a very relevant one IMO and highlights something I've been mulling over in my mind myself since the news of Grundy's desire for a 7 year contract first became known.

The only way I see a contract of that length being a viable option for the club is if Grundy is prepared to start lessening the load on his body week in week out from next season and for the club to start investing in players who can assist with it like we've seen with Cameron.

While Grundy is a brilliant ruck and will continue playing primarily in the role that has lead to him becoming a dual All Australian the one area of his game that I've always felt has the capacity for growth is his forward craft and in particular his ability to become a consistent marking threat inside f50.

Obviously when you've been as good a ruck option as Grundy then player and coach are loathe to see to many minutes being spent forward so opportunity has been limited until now but I feel the time is right for both Grundy and Buckley to embrace a subtle change in his role.

Grundy potentially spending more time forward is far from a negative for mine as apart from the intended benefit of reducing the load on his body we are in the unique position of having a 211cm giant to call on to provide relief and I see the potential of both players game being elevated with this move.

Then we have the great unknown of what exactly Cameron will be able to produce.

Even if it sees a slight reduction in some statistical areas of his game if Grundy can increase the goal column to 22 a year then I only see his status being elevated and perhaps more importantly his body might have more to give in 5 years time.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:06 pm

swoop42 wrote:

The only way I see a contract of that length being a viable option for the club is if Grundy is prepared to start lessening the load on his body week in week out from next season and for the club to start investing in players who can assist with it like we've seen with Cameron.

Your comment makes absolute sense to me swoop42. However, Brodie needs to be prepared to relinquish some of his time in the spotlight. Just from incidental observation, even with Coxy and Roughy in the team, his rest times out of the ruck have been minimal in duration. Having said that, I don't know if he determines when he wants to rest or the coaches do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 14 of 20   

Jump to: