Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pipped in Prelim. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I agree Lazza...injuries are not an excuse, but a reason. All the more reason why it is of paramount importance that we investigate the statistics that K presented, and do everything in our power to uncover if there is any reason for us to be at the very top of the table for matches lost due to injury since 2013, and to be a statistical outlier along with GC.
How? I am not sure. I am not paid millions of dollars to find out the reasons, if there are any. But there are others who are.

bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:42 pm

Another possible factor is overtraining, that many players are really pushing the limits that their body can tolerate to get that extra level of performance.
I remember back in the day doing carpoera training and the boss kept pushing me to go lower in the legs in the basic capoera exercise, it felt like it was too much but I just pushed through the pain to do it, but after a few weeks something went in my leg, a quad tendon or something and I had to stop and had a long term injury for at least 2 years. The only thing I got out of that was that I was capable of pushing through pain that was beyond a safe level, not much of a consolation prize. Notice it tends to be our highest performing players (eg Degoey, Moore) or mediocre players who have improved a lot through hard work (eg Langdon, Sier), who get these chronic soft tissue exercises.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:52 pm

bokka wrote:
Another possible factor is overtraining, that many players are really pushing the limits that their body can tolerate to get that extra level of performance.
I remember back in the day doing carpoera training and the boss kept pushing me to go lower in the legs in the basic capoera exercise, it felt like it was too much but I just pushed through the pain to do it, but after a few weeks something went in my leg, a quad tendon or something and I had to stop and had a long term injury for at least 2 years. The only thing I got out of that was that I was capable of pushing through pain that was beyond a safe level, not much of a consolation prize. Notice it tends to be our highest performing players (eg Degoey, Moore) or mediocre players who have improved a lot through hard work (eg Langdon, Sier), who get these chronic soft tissue exercises.

Absolutely Bokka. Agree totally. I posted the text of an article recently from the HS in which Tyson Goldsack described some aspects of our rehabilitation program. It involved massive training loads. Here it is again for those interested:

At Collingwood, we call it “Super Saturday”, but it’s nowhere near as exciting as it sounds.

In fact, it’s the closest thing to hell for Collingwood players on the road to recovery
and for Jaidyn Stephenson it has been his start to the weekend for nine out of the past 10 Saturdays before this weekend.

Let’s paint the picture for what these gruelling sessions mean.

They are scheduled for the players who are just about ready to resume playing football. The session pushes them to extremes to have them cherry ripe for their comebacks.

Usually, the guys getting out of the rehab group do it for two weeks. A few unlucky ones have had to do it for three weeks.

But in light of Stevo’s unusual 10-game ban, he was forced to sweat it out for three times the normal amount of Super Saturdays than most of us have had to do.

Players engaged on Saturday have to do a minimum of 10km running to help simulate the game loads.

It’s normally in excess of 10km — measured with your GPS strapped to your back or through your watch — and includes footy-type drills, repeat loads, fartlek running, game simulation and retrievals.

Banned forward Jaidyn Stephenson completed nine tortuous “Super Saturday” sessions to prepare him for his return for finals.

Retrievals are precisely as they sound. You have someone kick a ball out at an angle and your task is to run and get it back to him as fast as you can — over and over and over again.

etc. etc

Now i have absolutely no expertise whatsoever to comment on the rehabilitation program outlined here by Tyson Goldsack, so I will not. But the club needs to get the highest quality sports scientists in over the summer to assess our rehabilitation programs and our training loads. because, while statistics cannot prove causality, they can shed light on what needs to be investigated.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:53 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
^ I agree Lazza...injuries are not an excuse, but a reason. All the more reason why it is of paramount importance that we investigate the statistics that K presented, and do everything in our power to uncover if there is any reason for us to be at the very top of the table for matches lost due to injury since 2013, and to be a statistical outlier along with GC.
How? I am not sure. I am not paid millions of dollars to find out the reasons, if there are any. But there are others who are.

Fair point. I too get frustrated by these constant injuries. However I have never got this stuff about blaming fitness staff for football injuries on the field. My logical brain goes nuts. Injuries, like shit, happens. The logical solution is to play soft football and that will not happen.

My game was cricket and loved short pitched fast bowling because I could hook and pull very well. However occasionally I would cop a real nasty dart that hit me on the shoulder, helmet or back of the neck. That bloody hurt Evil or Very Mad But I always blamed myself for missing a ball, not the bowler who was doing his job, nor the coach.
So the action during football cause most of the injuries, that is the game.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:55 pm

bokka wrote:

So if one over-exercises doing advanced Capybara you have to have a knee reconstruction? Shocked

Tell me again how sheep's bladders can be employed to prevent earthquakes? Wink

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:04 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Another troll. Are you and Adz the same poster? This was not a grand final genius. Pathetic & histrionic nonsense. Learn to grow a pair.

Scarred FFS 🙄 More like scared.

It is impossible to learn to grow a pair. This is a biological imperative, and would have to be encoded in the DNA. It is not a cogniitive task.

Thank you Bernard 😉

Bernard who? Surely not Bernard Tomic?? (That is the only Bernard I can think of, and to be compared with him would truly be an insult)

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:26 pm

Injuries did not cost us the game on Saturday. Poor performances from Pendles, Treloar, Adams, Sidey, Mihocek, Mayne, Brown, WHE, Aish, Noble, Reid, as well as poor tap work from Grundy cost us the game. No ifs, no buts, no maybes.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:31 pm

I can't believe that a Collingwood supporter could blame Grundy. He just played one of the most dominant games ever by a player in a black and white jumper. If he hadn't been on the ground, we'd have lost by 147 points the way the rest of the team played and the coaching panel coached.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:58 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I can't believe that a Collingwood supporter could blame Grundy. He just played one of the most dominant games ever by a player in a black and white jumper. If he hadn't been on the ground, we'd have lost by 147 points the way the rest of the team played and the coaching panel coached.

Agree. His last quarter was leviathan like and was the only reason we got so close. Back to back Copeland's beckon and a perhaps even a Brownlow!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:09 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Another troll. Are you and Adz the same poster? This was not a grand final genius. Pathetic & histrionic nonsense. Learn to grow a pair.

Scarred FFS 🙄 More like scared.

It is impossible to learn to grow a pair. This is a biological imperative, and would have to be encoded in the DNA. It is not a cogniitive task.

Thank you Bernard 😉

Bernard who? Surely not Bernard Tomic?? (That is the only Bernard I can think of, and to be compared with him would truly be an insult)

Sir Bernard Woolley from “ Yes Minister”:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Woolley

The first sentence under the heading Character: “ Woolley is always quick to point out the physical impossibilities of Sir Humphrey’s or Hackers mixed metaphors, with almost excessive pedantry”...

😉

bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:11 am

watt price tully wrote:
bokka wrote:

So if one over-exercises doing advanced Capybara you have to have a knee reconstruction? Shocked

Tell me again how sheep's bladders can be employed to prevent earthquakes? Wink
Sorry no idea what you are trying to say here. ARe you tripping or something? (Hopefully coming down by now...don't wanna end up like syd Barret do we?)
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:52 am

I think the point wpt is making is that Langdon has a knee injury. Unless there’s an even more serious problem than we know about, his knee is probably not “soft tissue”.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:47 am

How do our injuries lists stack up against othe4 teams this year? To me it seems far less soft tissue, but a few more serious long term injuries. A fewhamstrings but thats the norm.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:52 am

When an all-time great, like Rance or Greenwood, goes down with an ACL, it is impossible to win a flag.
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:42 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
bokka wrote:

Absolutely Bokka. Agree totally. I posted the text of an article recently from the HS in which Tyson Goldsack described some aspects of our rehabilitation program. It involved massive training loads. Here it is again for those interested:

At Collingwood, we call it “Super Saturday”, but it’s nowhere near as exciting as it sounds.

In fact, it’s the closest thing to hell for Collingwood players on the road to recovery
and for Jaidyn Stephenson it has been his start to the weekend for nine out of the past 10 Saturdays before this weekend.

Let’s paint the picture for what these gruelling sessions mean.

They are scheduled for the players who are just about ready to resume playing football. The session pushes them to extremes to have them cherry ripe for their comebacks.

Usually, the guys getting out of the rehab group do it for two weeks. A few unlucky ones have had to do it for three weeks.

But in light of Stevo’s unusual 10-game ban, he was forced to sweat it out for three times the normal amount of Super Saturdays than most of us have had to do.

Players engaged on Saturday have to do a minimum of 10km running to help simulate the game loads.

It’s normally in excess of 10km — measured with your GPS strapped to your back or through your watch — and includes footy-type drills, repeat loads, fartlek running, game simulation and retrievals.

Banned forward Jaidyn Stephenson completed nine tortuous “Super Saturday” sessions to prepare him for his return for finals.

Retrievals are precisely as they sound. You have someone kick a ball out at an angle and your task is to run and get it back to him as fast as you can — over and over and over again.

etc. etc

Now i have absolutely no expertise whatsoever to comment on the rehabilitation program outlined here by Tyson Goldsack, so I will not. But the club needs to get the highest quality sports scientists in over the summer to assess our rehabilitation programs and our training loads. because, while statistics cannot prove causality, they can shed light on what needs to be investigated.

I was more referring to normal training where players could perhaps push themselves too hard for their body to handle. Whether they are also sometimes pushed too hard in rehab causing reinjury, I have no idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 20 of 27   

Jump to: