Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Dons. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Boogie Knights wrote:
It's an interesting conundrum we could be faced with come finals with the potential returns of Stevo and JDG. We have essentially 4 small/mid sized players who play best coming out of the goal square one on one; Stevo, Billy, WHE, and JDG. Of those, JDG can play mid and WHE on the wing or even at half back. Stevo and Billy are best close to goal as the nominal FF. Would including both JDG and Stevo upset the balance we currently have, and at who's expense would they come back for?

You'd have to say that Checkers is safe which really leaves the conversation as which four/five from JDG, Billy, Varcoe, Thomas, Stevo, Brown, or WHE do you run with? It's a question made harder by the recent for of Varcoe and Thomas (both of whom would have been most at risk).

That's not even bring a potentially fit Wells into the equation.

The selection committee will have a very tough and unenviable few decisions to make in the coming weeks...

I think there is even another layer to your conundrum, B K.
For mine the forward line may yet be influenced by Collingwoods thinking regarding any back up ruck relief for Grundy.
As long as the Pies continue to feel the need to give Grundy some “ serious “ relief when he’s off the ground, then Roughead will continue to play up forward. There’s a very good reason why you never see KPDs leave their position to assist in the ruck.
If Moore comes back soon, I’m guessing they will leave Madgen back there until such time he has a bad game. Even if he is getting towelled up in game, then at least Roughead could go back again.
Based on the last two weeks, Roughead seems to be part of their forward six and it’s much about some ruck relief for Grundy as it is bringing the ball to ground and taking some pressure off Checkers.
On the other hand, if the club decide they don’t feel the need to remain competitive in the ruck for 5 mins every quarter, then Roughy would start back at the expense of Madgen.
I believe we need to keep playing Madgen until such time he looks out of his depth.
As long as he can be trusted, him holding down his spot down back, offers us a lot more flexibility.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:07 pm

Magden was on Sam Reid getting towelled up to tune of 5 goals whilst Roughead shut out Buddy and just as you said a switch can be done

Roughead kept Reid to one goal in a qtr and a half whist a dispirited Buddy was easy meal for Magden

Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:53 pm

Pies2016 wrote:

I think there is even another layer to your conundrum, B K.
For mine the forward line may yet be influenced by Collingwoods thinking regarding any back up ruck relief for Grundy.
As long as the Pies continue to feel the need to give Grundy some “ serious “ relief when he’s off the ground, then Roughead will continue to play up forward. There’s a very good reason why you never see KPDs leave their position to assist in the ruck.
If Moore comes back soon, I’m guessing they will leave Madgen back there until such time he has a bad game. Even if he is getting towelled up in game, then at least Roughead could go back again.
Based on the last two weeks, Roughead seems to be part of their forward six and it’s much about some ruck relief for Grundy as it is bringing the ball to ground and taking some pressure off Checkers.
On the other hand, if the club decide they don’t feel the need to remain competitive in the ruck for 5 mins every quarter, then Roughy would start back at the expense of Madgen.
I believe we need to keep playing Madgen until such time he looks out of his depth.
As long as he can be trusted, him holding down his spot down back, offers us a lot more flexibility.

Couldn't agree more. Our preferred defensive set up when they were all available included both Roughie and Moore. Moore's return wouldn't necessarily mean it's at the expense of Madgen. I think the question will come down to whether there is belief that Shaz can cover the opposition second tall or if all three of Moore, Madgen and him are required. Roughie will remain up forward with a break glass in case of emergency option of moving to defence.

The only way I see Roughie going back to FB is if Reid comes into consideration for the forward/ruck role (which I think is unlikely).
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:13 pm

POSSIBLE INS:
Returning From Injury:
Moore will play you'd think. Sier and Wells should play in the VFL, but a surprise might be waiting for us on Thursday. JDG and Aish another week away yet.

From The VFL:
No game last week. T. Brown and Daicos were the travelling emergencies to S.A. Which suggests they'd be the closest to selection if we needed to make a change. Brown been in great form and is deserving of a debut.

POSSIBLE OUTS:
Madgen is the name being thrown around the most.

Nobel had 21 touches and JT kicked 3 goals which is enough to stay in the side. Wills also did enough with 20 disposals and 6 tackles. Scharenberg had the lowest player rating but performed a shutdown role against Adelaide.

It seems the logical choice right now is Moore in for Madgen. T. Brown a chance to debut, but I dont know who to omit. Wells and Sier to feature in the VFL along with Daicos.

bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:08 pm

Its bizarre that suddenly we seem to have more in form players than we know what to do with?? The B team we put in with Billy, Thomas, VArcoe, Magden, Noble, Brown and Wills is playing like the A-team. How they go in finals against the top teams is another question but I don't think Adelaide is THAT far off.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:54 pm

Anyone going to the MCG around 6pm will be treated to

Collingwood Academy versus Essendon Academy

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:48 pm

bokka wrote:
Its bizarre that suddenly we seem to have more in form players than we know what to do with?? The B team we put in with Billy, Thomas, VArcoe, Magden, Noble, Brown and Wills is playing like the A-team. How they go in finals against the top teams is another question but I don't think Adelaide is THAT far off.

Billy is now part of the B team. A fit Billy is a bit of match practice is always part of the best 22.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:54 pm

If Wells is fit, needs to play in the ones this week. Final roll of the dice.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:22 pm

Cam wrote:

Agreed. We’re always so conservative. Just do it. Close to a dead rubber anyway. For both teams. Would hate to think we can bring Wells, JDG, Stephenson, maybe Moore, Aish? back all in one game.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:30 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Cam wrote:

Agreed. We’re always so conservative. Just do it. Close to a dead rubber anyway. For both teams. Would hate to think we can bring Wells, JDG, Stephenson, maybe Moore, Aish? back all in one game.

Absolutely no point in bringing Wells in at all unless next week. Would not think it sane to bring him in, first game in about 10 weeks, for an elimination final. If he is fit, test him out next week. otherwise, not at all.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:39 pm

Moore needs to play against Essendon if we want him to play finals. Absolute necessity. So, who makes way for him? Many are suggesting Madgen, which seems logical. But is it? He is doing well, and on his performances this week and last, should not be omitted. If he remains in the team, then with Moore in the backline, Roughie remains forward, and we have height in defence. Moore can also rotate with Roughie. But the, who goes out for Moore? Noble is the only one who comes to mind. But do we need Noble to shut down any Essendon small forwards? TBH, I don/t know enough about Essendon to make any judgement on this. I think that leaving Madgen, if that is a reasonable match up for Essendon's likely forward configuration, would be highly beneficial.
We need to give Madgen as much game time and practice as possible, given that he will definitely be needed when we play teams such as WC or Richmond.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:44 pm

That’s the thing with this form improvement—who goes / who comes in

If Moore he is not only a marking option but very athletic

Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:23 pm

I'd love to see;

Moore in for Madgen and sent forward, allowing Roughie to go back. Athletic addition to a firing, fast forward line. Would stretch any defence with the promise we all expected at the beginning of the season

Wells, if fit, in for noble.

T Brown first emergency.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:48 pm

Moore is definitely a defender imo.
mgh3536 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:07 am

Moore in to backline

Grundy play forward 50%
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10   

Jump to: