Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Boris Johnson next British PM

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
PM for BJ.

That's not an offer!

Reads like an advert. Laughing

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:32 am

Boris and The Queen have suspended parliament until mid October, effectively stopping all shenanigans from remainers.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:46 am

A lot of people are very unhappy about it, though I'm not sure I fully grasp why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjghJ6Dy6Do

Jonathan Pie wrote:
Finally, we're at a point where the country's ready to come together and agree on one thing: no matter how you voted, what you want to happen next, leave, remain, left, right, Daily Mail or Guardian, we can surely all agree that, one way or another, our democracy is Ł$%$ed. And maybe the Queen could have stepped in, but to be fair to the old dear, at present, she's got bigger fish to fry, like worrying if her son might just be a little bit of a rapist.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:08 pm

This might help explain.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-29/outrage-and-protests-as-london-reacts-to-parliament-suspension/11459368

Seems like the anti Brexit camp see this as a tactic to prevent them stopping him doing a no-deal Brexit if he can't negotiate a deal

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:24 pm

Seems odd that Johnson is so keen on a no-deal Brexit in the knowledge that he'll have to wear the (presumably negative) consequences of that as part of his legacy. It's madness, isn't it? And I say that as someone who is at best ambivalent about the remain position. Perhaps I'm wrong and it's all just a bluff, and Johnson has correctly guessed that the EU will blink first and accept what he offers them – perhaps not an implausible possibility, given Brussels' apparent bloody-minded intransigence on this so far.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:31 pm

My read is it's not that he's keen on the no-deal option, he's taking the stance that they are leaving the EU, Deal or no deal. He'd prefer the deal but if Brussels won't come to the party, they'll leave without it.

The idea would be to push blame onto Brussels if no deal can be cut

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:40 pm

^ Surely a pyrrhic victory, though, if the result is economic destabilisation with all the negative effects on everyday British people that that will entail? Just not sure that the UK have the bargaining leverage here.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:20 pm

Yeah, but put in in context.

People voted for Brexit, right or wrong.

Teresa May fuddled around for yonks and didn't deliver. There's a good argument that she was sabotaged butfact is, she didn't deliver.

Boris comes in, supposedly has mandate to deliver what may failed at, and that's what he intends to do, bugger the consequences.

Brussels knows he's a loose cannon, that may give him some bargaining power cos I don't think they want a no-deal Brexit either.

Whatever way you spin it, it's a fkn mess.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:08 pm

I hadn't considered Game Theory when I wrote the above, at least not in name, but this covers it pretty well.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-29/what-game-theory-tells-us-about-boris-johnsons-brexit-strategy/11459430

Ladies and gentlemen, raise your tray tables and fasten your seat belts, we're preparing to Brexit.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:42 pm

Well, that went well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/03/world/europe/brexit-uk-parliament-vote.html

Johnson just lost his first vote on the floor, and 21 anti-no-deal Conservatives just got kicked out of the party (at least one of them opting to join the Liberal Democrats in protest), which means that he has just lost anything resembling a parliamentary majority. And Labor are refusing to back an early election (which Johnson now wants) until the parliament has voted down a no-deal Brexit. Popcorn all round.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:42 pm

There will be an early election one way or another. The Brexit party looms large as either a horrible spoiler for the Tories if they go soft on Brexit or as a very useful ally. They were the #1 party at the EU elections. Because of the FPTP voting system if they stand candidates in Tory seats then Labor will win the election due to split voting. Because Brexit isn't a simple left/right issue (very high Brexit voting in working class Labor seats) they can stand and win in Labor seats or again, split the vote but this time in favor of the Conservatives.

Interesting times ahead.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:15 am

David wrote:
Well, that went well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/03/world/europe/brexit-uk-parliament-vote.html

Johnson just lost his first vote on the floor, and 21 anti-no-deal Conservatives just got kicked out of the party (at least one of them opting to join the Liberal Democrats in protest), which means that he has just lost anything resembling a parliamentary majority. And Labor are refusing to back an early election (which Johnson now wants) until the parliament has voted down a no-deal Brexit. Popcorn all round.

So far, he’s maintained his 100% record. - not a single vote won about anything. It’s like they put 1990s Fitzroy Football Club in charge of their country.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:16 am

Motion to block a no-deal EU exit has passed the House of Commons, and Johnson’s failed in his move to call an election on 15 October. So far, so bad for him.

Understatement of the year from Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson:

Quote:
"I am intrigued that as a result of this vote... the prime minister's response is this somehow messes up his plan," she added.

"If he is seriously saying the extent of his plan was to try to bully the EU and only get a good deal by threatening [to] leave without a deal... it is not very well thought through."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49584907

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Nobody wanted no deal, BJ indulging in some mad dog diplomacy might've just worked.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:33 pm

Corbyn refused the option of an election, WTF is going on over there?

They voted for Brexit, either just do it or say they aren't doing it. This has gone well beyond a joke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: