Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#35,#1 Jaidyn Stephenson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of the circumstances, it was dumb of Stevo to be involved in footy betting at all. However, young people frequently make dumb decisions. If this is the worst mistake he ever makes, he'll be fine.

The media and the AFL should be ashamed of themselves for being so sanctimonious about this, while raking in millions of dollars promoting football gambling. Stevo should sue the AFL for sending him mixed messages about gambling.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:59 am

eureka wrote:
I noticed that the pies odds of making top 4 have copped it too

My little conspiracy theory — what if it’s a betting agency behind the leak, with the intention of rigging the odds and making more $$$? Collingwood’s odds for top four, flag, etc, have taken a beating. I wouldn’t put it past them, the whole industry is corrupt.

And Whately/Robbo/etc can get stuffed, I can guarantee they’ve made bets with inside info. Most of the gutter press flogs have done it.

And again, how did this leak? I may be wrong about Gill, he didn’t look prepared for it. The same people behind the drugs leak that Robbo exaggerated I reckon. The timing is really off, so soon after the Jan Beames scandal, rumours about Gibbs and bikies, and D Beams the same. There’s more at play here, and Stevo (a kid who made a dumb mistake) is a massive pawn.

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:00 pm

Skids wrote:
I haven't read any previous posts.
Haven't heard the latest.

The only time a player should be scrutenised (how the fck do u spell it) for placing a bet, is if, it's on an opposition player or team they are playing against.

Punting is fun, the TV stations broadcast a Sportsbet ad at every opportunity during a game. Of course, there's people with gambling issues, but a bloke in a betting syndicate, doing something perfectly legal, coming under this sort of scrutiny, is ^&$�%^$%& ridiculous!!

The reason that AFL people (players, coaches medicos, secretaries, boot studders etc) are all prohibited from betting on AFL games is to prevent, among other things, match fixing. It's not prohibited as a way of stopping gambling addictions. AFL people can still have phone accounts with betting agencies and can have fun betting of golf, soccer, NRL, the gee-gees - anything except the AFL.

Why? because AFL people in a position to get access to inside information that may influence the outcome of a game (or a spot betting outcome). Its the same as applies to the stock market. If you have 'material information' and use it to trade shares, then win or lose you go off to jail.

So let's not confuse the illegality of an AFL player having a punt on a game with the separate campaign to prevent problem gambling. Two quite different things.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:11 pm

Achilles 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:23 pm

If he cops a suspension, I'm pretty sure we can cover his absence. I know Elliott won't be back this week, but he should be the following. The kid's made a mistake. Nothing to stress about.
eureka 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:38 pm

John Nobel worthy replacement
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:38 pm

Whateley on SEN saying that the AFL will be holding a press conf at 12:30pm.

(Then the club to respond with its own presser at 2pm)
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:51 pm

Pies, AFL in talks over Stephenson ban after multiple bets

by Jake Niall and Sam McClure, June 19, 2019 - 11.19am

Collingwood and the AFL have been locked in discussions over the penalty for young star Jaidyn Stephenson's betting infringement, with the AFL suggesting a hefty penalty that would rule Stephenson out for most of the season.

Sources have confirmed, too, that Stephenson's wagering consisted of at least two small bets on Collingwood-related outcomes - not one solitary bet.

The young star betted on individual teammates performing well, such as gaining a high possession tally, and he did not bet against Collingwood or a teammate.

The AFL's general counsel Adnrew Dillon will address the media early this afternoon and Collingwood's CEO Mark Anderson and football manager Geoff Walsh will speak, along with Stephenson, at 2pm.

The Magpies and Stephenson's management are pushing for the second-year player to receive a shorter suspension. One of the key arguments for Stephenson to be given some leniency is that he self-reported to the AFL, which would not have uncovered the betting without him coming forward, and that there should be incentives for honesty.

But it appears clear that, whatever the outcome of the discussions, Stephenson will be suspended for several games. As a second-year player on a set contract, he will lose a significant portion of his salary, which is a base payment plus an amount for games played.

The bets are believed to have been placed via a friend of Stephenson's.

In 2011, the AFL suspended Collingwood's Heath Shaw for the remaining home and away games, handing him an eight-week ban (14 weeks, of which six were suspended), allowing Shaw to return only for the finals. Shaw had placed just one bet on teammate Nick Maxwell kicking a goal, but he did not self-report his offence and it was discovered from an investigation.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:54 pm

Was the 'mate' that placed the bets on Stephenson's betting account a teammate?
Medieval 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:55 pm

He’ll get 4 weeks and a $10k fine. He was part of a syndicate and his mate put Pendles for most possessions in the St. Kilda game as a leg in a multi. JS had no idea about it at the time and went to the club as soon as he found out.

EDIT: 10 weeks, WOW. Looks like I'm way more sympathetic than the AFL.

Last edited by Medieval on Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
slangman 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:55 pm

No matter the outcome or the circumstances, this once again is a massive distraction to the club as it strives for a premiership.
In most years where we had a chance to win, there has been an incident with a player or an assistant coach left in the middle of September.
IIFC, 2010 was a year with no distractions

eureka 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:03 pm

I could live just if it’s a 4 weeker and a fine 4 weeks and no more I want to live this case is a pain in the arse least of our worries to be honest
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:17 pm

Link to video stream of AFL press confrence re. Stephenson.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-19/jaidyn-stephenson-betting-scandal

Starts in a few minutes.
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:28 pm

10 weeks - can play finals.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:31 pm

Great. 10 weeks. The rest of the home and away season. Unbelievable. Where’s he going to find touch and match fitness from? My goodness what a load of sh!t. Where do they come up with this magical round number from?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 22 of 128   

Jump to: