Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fans getting warnings and booted for being too loud

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbaker 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ just don't say that they're not from Australia - get branded racist!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:37 pm

think positive wrote:
bump!

Woods wrote:
When footy was so much better — without sushi, armrests and AFL interference
by Terry Brown, Sunday Herald Sun, 16 June 15, 2019

On a soggy Saturday arvo, three quarters and seven cans in, no place in the world was finer than One Eye Hill at Victoria Park.

Amenities? It lacked the lot, and so what? Who cared?

Rain kept the toxic cloud from the urinals down. VB stayed cold in rigid steel cans that stuck to your flesh, and you can only get so wet, right? More fun than footy now.

If we wanted warm, cosy, or nice even, we would have gone to the Hopetoun Tea Rooms.

Footy is not about niceties, though. It was always about the opposite.

For three hours you could randomly, or pointedly, howl at the players, umps and footy gods, insanely cold until all feeling went, steam coming off your booing. You could bait total strangers too, a personal favourite.

Every bit of crap your boss and life had thrown at you since the Saturday before flooded down the hill like noisy mustard gas, better out than in.

The best part was the banter. There was an art to it. Bald headed flog and green maggot would not have made it off the bench, such was the quality.

You needed a thick skin to be at the footy anyway, if only because there were no puffy parkas back then. Duck down was a panicked scream as a kick-to-kick Sherrin tried to scalp some child. St John’s must’ve treated more kids than a Nimbin measles ward. Lucky ones would get it in the forehead, laces out, branded clearly for show-and-tell at school.

Duffel jackets, beanies, bonds singlets, long sleeve knitted footy jumpers and the obligatory beer overcoat were in vogue when football was pure. On a wet day you’d go home several kilos heavier and a lot wittier and better looking.

There were no video screens, sushi, armrests, chairs or inflatable advertising clap sticks, but somehow we survived. No multiple roaming flogs wielding microphones like alien probes.

There was no escape from the rain, sure, but no real problem either.

Yeah, footy had it all before the league fixed it up.

Back in the day Ross Oakley, the chief, kept a straight face and said they didn’t want to own the game. They were just custodians of the treasure.

The difficulty is that the AFL is that dodgy caretaker who steals your silver bit by bit, sending you broke and wondering if you’re mad? With loud barracking an official caution now, we’re down to the bent fish forks.

It is hard to point to the exact moment the AFL got fair dinkum about despoiling the game. They never ask, of course. Stuff just turns up like something on your sole.

How do people come to be the AFL chief, and who votes for them, and who votes for those people, all the way down the AFL centipede?

I’d bet it’s a long time since any of them got wet at the footy, or sat in Row ZZ bleeding from the ears to Nickelback maybe, or drank water labelled beer out of plastic. Betcha.

The rot set in when? The murders of Waverley, the Roys and South? Culling the crepe paper flogger? Branded ovals?

Light blue M&M navy blues, Captain Carlton’s hovercraft, the annual joke that is the draw, changing the songs and hoping no one notices, plastic cups of mid-strength fluids best left in Pathology? The list is longer than the MCG goalsquare, er, rectangle.

Maybe it was when the hills and standing room were morphed into individual plastic buckets to keep fans contained. Booked seats stopped you randomly consorting, the ground DJ stopped you talking and, if you were near a speaker, ever hearing again.

Everything the AFL touches, it screws up then presses ahead with unfazed, in the certain knowledge fans got it wrong again.

Every-poll-ever says to leave the big one alone, and every year until Gill gets fireworks the league will cough up the rancid furball of an idea that is a Twilight Grand Final. They already killed the replay without asking, the one that gave two clubs fans a bonus week’s bliss and some hope of going, but plays hell with the fly-ins and corporates. Boo.

Twilight Sunday games, megawalls, exhibition matches, Roaming Brian, Channel 7 in every nook and orifice, the jumping castle they run-through in Perth that looks nothing like an eagle? Who asked for any of it?

AFLX, under any merciful God, would be taken out the back of Etihad/Marvel/Colonial/Docklands Stadium and dropped in the harbour, weighed securely down by chipped-off corporate signage and oversized zooper goalposts.

The sooner Me-Too claims KissCam, the better. You can’t yell flog, but you can still penetrate a stranger with your tongue.

The core problem is the AFL doesn’t much like football, especially its lack of showbiz and its rough ways. Pity the players. Nuns drink more and spend less time around hospitals and schools. The league has cracked down on drugs too, unless they’re sold at Chemist Warehouse, who sponsor the injuries — ghouls.

The league contracted buggering the tickets up to Ticketek, too busy were they watering the beer, scheduling Chinese matches and inventing rules nobody can umpire without looking like a flog.

Now the best available reserved MCG seats come with an unobstructed view of 30,000 better empty ones.

The video review system has great views too and provides exclusive and conclusive content to Channel 7 — but not the umps, whose cock-ups are then replayed from nine angles in slow-mo.

No wonder they are grumpy and are taking it out on fans who correctly identify the floggishness of their haphazard ways.

(If they do not like being derided, perhaps don’t dress like leprechauns?)

Joffa has had it up to his beanie and he is not alone, but how do you stand up for footy when there’s no standing room?

It is enough to make you scream, except that’s a prohibited weapon now.

No, it’s check your passion at Gate 5, I guess. Bite your tongue or, if KissCam’s on, someone else’s? That’s OK with the AFL.

A bit of a haphazard good-old-days rant, but it's hard to disagree with a lot of it. Corporatisation is what killed the spirit of football, really.

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
This just keeps getting more and more bizarre. An overzealous security guard was going to break up an on field scuffle:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-18/afl-ground-security-attempts-to-separate-fighting-players/11219462

Kind of jaw-dropping, isn't it.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:01 pm

Oh nicely played Gil, get your apology for fan intimidation, and the Jan Beames gambling issue, off the front pages by throwing a young pies player under the bus. F***ing dog.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:20 pm

Gillon live:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-18/watch-it-live-afl-chief-gillon-mclachlan-to-speak-from-2pm-aest
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:23 pm

I'm listening to it now. The AFL never misses an opportunity to be the worst caricature of bland corporatism. Incredible how disingenuous and dismissive McLachlan is being. Motherhood statements and blame avoidance all around.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:25 pm

They (journo and Gillon) are now arguing about whether it's been "weeks" or "10 days".
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:35 pm

Gillon is a clown. If he had decency, he should resign.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:36 pm

Peter Gordon is a sanctimonious clown as well.

Quote:
Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon says AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan shouldn’t have to apologise for enhancing security at games.

"Behavioural awareness officers" and increased security were spotted at Marvel Stadium over the weekend, which made many supporters feel intimidated at the footy.

But Gordon says this change is good for the game and the AFL should continue to take a hard stance on poor crowd behaviour.

“I didn’t think that anything that was going on on the weekend generated the sense of urgency or crisis that now appears to have been built up,” he told SEN’s Whateley.

“I don’t know what Gillon McLachlan’s about to apologise for.

“The idea of having enhanced security is I think something that most people would support.”

Gordon says that watching The Final Quarter, the documentary about Adam Goodes, may change people’s minds about crowd behaviour.

“You can’t look at the Ian Darling documentary on Adam Goodes and not feel shame on behalf of the industry,” he said.

“Clearly, we have to disrupt that sort of behaviour.

“We have to be change agents, we have to drive change.

“I don’t care if people are going to call me a social justice warrior or politically correct or whatever.

“That sort of behaviour… we need to change that. That can’t be part of football’s future.

“You’re not entitled to do whatever you want, say whatever you want because you’ve paid your money.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/06/18/i-don't-know-what-gillon-mclachlan's-about-to-apologise-for-gordon/

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:00 pm

AnthonyC wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
This just keeps getting more and more bizarre. An overzealous security guard was going to break up an on field scuffle:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-18/afl-ground-security-attempts-to-separate-fighting-players/11219462

I just saw that too, that is phenomenal vision.

For all the rhetoric of these people having special training to deal with 'the issues', that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the guard has no understanding of The Game.

As such, there's a good chance he'll be appointed Director of Umpiring next year.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:17 pm

Anyway, I hope people realise that this is a big opportunity: the issue has caught on, it’s getting serious media coverage and there’s a lot of existing public dissatisfaction in the AFL to tap into – and now McLachlan has pretty much come out and refused to concede anything. This could be an opportunity for fans to fight back and wrest some power back from the corporate suits running the show. So join the AFLFA, hold a protest march outside the venue on game day, keep expressing your dissatisfaction to the AFL’s customer feedback lines (because that’s how they see you: as a customer).

If you don’t, you can be assured that things are only going to keep getting worse.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:32 pm

David wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:

Kind of jaw-dropping, isn't it.

Security at Blundstone Arena to receive additional training after blunder

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/security-guards-at-blundstone-arena-to-receive-additional-training-20190618-p51ysh.html
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:23 pm

Now kennett has been forced to apologise for his remarks regarding afl security.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:29 pm

David wrote:
Anyway, I hope people realise that this is a big opportunity: the issue has caught on, it’s getting serious media coverage and there’s a lot of existing public dissatisfaction in the AFL to tap into – and now McLachlan has pretty much come out and refused to concede anything. This could be an opportunity for fans to fight back and wrest some power back from the corporate suits running the show. So join the AFLFA, hold a protest march outside the venue on game day, keep expressing your dissatisfaction to the AFL’s customer feedback lines (because that’s how they see you: as a customer).

If you don’t, you can be assured that things are only going to keep getting worse.

I would not like to be a "Behavioural awareness officer' this weekend that's for sure. I reckon things could get real ugly.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:18 pm

Jezza wrote:
Peter Gordon is a sanctimonious clown as well.

Quote:
Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon says AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan shouldn’t have to apologise for enhancing security at games.

"Behavioural awareness officers" and increased security were spotted at Marvel Stadium over the weekend, which made many supporters feel intimidated at the footy.

But Gordon says this change is good for the game and the AFL should continue to take a hard stance on poor crowd behaviour.

“I didn’t think that anything that was going on on the weekend generated the sense of urgency or crisis that now appears to have been built up,” he told SEN’s Whateley.

“I don’t know what Gillon McLachlan’s about to apologise for.

“The idea of having enhanced security is I think something that most people would support.”

Gordon says that watching The Final Quarter, the documentary about Adam Goodes, may change people’s minds about crowd behaviour.

“You can’t look at the Ian Darling documentary on Adam Goodes and not feel shame on behalf of the industry,” he said.

“Clearly, we have to disrupt that sort of behaviour.

“We have to be change agents, we have to drive change.

“I don’t care if people are going to call me a social justice warrior or politically correct or whatever.

“That sort of behaviour… we need to change that. That can’t be part of football’s future.

“You’re not entitled to do whatever you want, say whatever you want because you’ve paid your money.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/06/18/i-don't-know-what-gillon-mclachlan's-about-to-apologise-for-gordon/

that sort of behaviour???

what sort of behaviour exactly???!!

chanting too loud? saying flog loudly??

i want a decent reason for turfing people out of the game with no warning,

neither of these statements are worthy

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:20 pm

tbaker wrote:
^ just don't say that they're not from Australia - get branded racist!

just what can you say??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8   

Jump to: