Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 259, 260, 261 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw that pic and story on the news, and just recently i read Into Thin Air, by Beck Weathers, the real story not the one in the oh so sad tragic movie that made heroes out of just about everyone, i mean when could Jake Gyllenhaal ever be less than a hero! Beck says although the climb and his injuries shook him out of his depressed state of mind, he wished he had never done it, it wasnt worth it. The damage to his body, his family, his wife especially. Its a really really honest hard to read book, only half of it is about what happened on Everest.

and this guy:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/sep/28/jon-krakauer-into-thin-air-opinion-everest-movie

Krakauer revealed that the accident affected him for years afterwards – “I was … depressed and I didn’t even know it” – and has harsh words for the current wave of “Everest tourism”: “Everest is not real climbing. It’s rich people climbing. It’s a trophy on the wall, and they’re done … When I say I wish I’d never gone, I really mean that.”

id have loved to have done a base camp climb years ago, not now though, too cold, too hard!! I guess the sad truth is, as someone else almost said, by the time you can afford to do these kind of things your too old!! which probably does contribute to the high death tolls every year, worse, to the deaths of the Sherpas who die trying to save the fools.

when you see that pic though, it really is blah, whats the big deal! which in a way is kind of sad! what really put me off though is the talk of the dead bodies still there, and that one land mark is actually a dead guy, from the Everest movie season, whos legs stick up out of the ground.

if any one likes autobiographies, id highly recommend Into Thin Air. i read it in a day! just could not put it down!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:29 pm

If I wanted to go to a bucket list destination that involved deep pockets and lots of queuing, I'd go to Disneyland
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:34 pm

stui magpie wrote:
If I wanted to go to a bucket list destination that involved deep pockets and lots of queuing, I'd go to Disneyland

in a $$%^%%$ heart beat!! i LOVE that place!!!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:50 pm

As a child I would have walked over broken glass to go, but when I was in LA a couple of years ago, I considered and decided against. Walking through crowds frustrates the hell out of me, let alone queuing for ages for anything. I'd more likely go serial killer mode than enjoy myself
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:09 am

stui magpie wrote:
As a child I would have walked over broken glass to go, but when I was in LA a couple of years ago, I considered and decided against. Walking through crowds frustrates the hell out of me, let alone queuing for ages for anything. I'd more likely go serial killer mode than enjoy myself

I’ve been 3 times to Disneyland and spent 6 nights in a hotel in Disney World, where we went to the Christmas Party at the Magic Kingdom, and hardly ever had to queue longer than 15 min for any ride. The worst was when the cars ride opened, we waited nearly an hour, but they keep you entertained! We were at Universal the week Harry Potter world opened and the queues were over 90 min. Junior an I were in the queue for 10 min and I was about to say stuff this, as it was over 35 degrees, and they announced the wait for single riders was 5 min! After that we went single rider on nearly every ride for the day, and still ended up together 90% of the time!

I’m on a Disney cast members (employees!) Facebook page, and apparently in Orlando the crowds are now horrendous for a lot of the year. The six days we spent there were magical! I’d do it again in a heartbeat! So much fun!

Hubby doesn’t like rides, so I’ll have to wait for grandkids I guess!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:44 am

If you want another reason not to climb Everest...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/03/03/decades-of-human-waste-have-made-mount-everest-a-fecal-time-bomb/

Quote:
The two standard routes, the Northeast Ridge and the Southeast Ridge, are not only dangerously crowded but also disgustingly polluted, with garbage leaking out of the glaciers and pyramids of human excrement befouling the high camps

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:55 pm

OMG thats revolting, sad and maddening,

it disgusts me that they can just leave stuff up there, all the gas bottles and rubbish, let alone bodies! so much for not leaving a footprint, anyone who cared would take their crap back down. i just dont get it.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:21 pm

Yeah, climbing Everest used to be something only a very few could do. It required lots of training and a special skill set. If you achieved it, it was a special achievement and one which was recognised as such and you could be proud of it.

Nowdays, any wealthy old white man can do it, just throw enough cash and convince enough of the right people to support. As such, the number of people doing it has drastically increased and the level of respect and achievement seriously diluted.

Basically, the same as being Australian PM.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:27 pm

hahahahahaha! pay that!
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:08 pm

David wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/03/03/decades-of-human-waste-have-made-mount-everest-a-fecal-time-bomb/

Quote:
The two standard routes, the Northeast Ridge and the Southeast Ridge, are not only dangerously crowded but also disgustingly polluted, with garbage leaking out of the glaciers and pyramids of human excrement befouling the high camps

For the most part climbing Everest has actually now become meaningless. What if the next achievement became how much garbage one person could actually remove from the mountain rather than climbing it. the ultimate in Eco-tourism. Laughing

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:44 pm

Pi wrote:
David wrote:

Quote:

For the most part climbing Everest has actually now become meaningless. What if the next achievement became how much garbage one person could actually remove from the mountain rather than climbing it. the ultimate in Eco-tourism. Laughing

sad part is how many Sherpas die trying to do just that

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:45 am

Pi wrote:
David wrote:

Quote:

Yeah. I'm guessing K2 is probably where it's at now – the true hipster's choice in mountain climbing!

In the meantime, I promise that this is the last one of these I'll post. Probably. They just keep outdoing themselves.

Quote:
Please help yourself Magazines,

I sneezed in your office today really hard , I think you will get flu also. I am sorry.

You will end up in hospital, emergency room. Please sir, this flu is very deadly, you can't wait in the emergency room, you will die.

Magazines, there are many doctors belong to Indian heritage in hospital here in Australia. If you have friends belong to the Indian background they will make arrangement so you don't need to wait in Emergency room when sick.

Sir, I think you should hire more people belong to Indian descent, so you can have more connections really.

The Indian community in Australia has many connections sir, you will not regret making friends with them only.

In contrast, it is useless to hire locals, they do drugs and you have to send them to hospital all the time sir, and they die in front of you. I won't be stupid to find local friends anymore. Please consider.

Haiden Gibson

K 

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:45 am

3,000 kg of garbage collected from Mt Everest region

https://thehimalayantimes.com/business/3000-kg-of-garbage-collected-from-mt-everest-region/
K 

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:51 am

David wrote:
Who has that kind of money? Surprised

The permit cost is only a fraction of the total cost. The total cost can "easily surpass $50,000". Increase the permit cost so it matches the other costs, I say. They can give discounts to real climbers.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:09 am

stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
I also don't understand the comments about disincentive to work - I know that many people have to get by as best they can on low wages but who would - by choice - live on under $500 a week (before they meet housing costs etc), if they could do better? Moreover, if they can't do better and they're actually condemned to live on this, what hope of a reasonable quality of life does this offer?

There are always people who are going to rort the system - and plenty more who think that rorting it is "smart" - but what of the majority of people who are stuck on this payment and don't have millions put away? I can't believe that there are many people on this pension who are actually well off.

While we're at it - what's with Newstart and why is it only about 60% or so of this ridiculously low DSP? I'm not sure what society gets out of condemning a large proportion of the population to living like this, in many (most?) cases for the majority of their adult lives. Looks like a great way to generate a large, disgruntled, hopeless underclass to me.

Not referring to Aboriginals but generally in response to your comments, you would be surprised at how many people have no desire to work and are able to rort the system to live reasonably well.

$500 net per week isn't a lot, but get 2 people and that's $1000 per week. With no tax that's the same as earning around $67k for 1 person gross, without havng to work for it. Add in a kid or 2 (or 3 or 4) and the payments climb, plus rent assistance etc. Get access to public housing and you're really doing well.

I'll grant that they're a small percentage of the population, but not a small number. Unfortunately these people cast a shadow over those who legitimately want to work.

It's an interesting narrative. Compare, eg:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-31/wealthiest-australians-nearly-50-times-richer-in-my-lifetime/11162996

I suppose you must mean "really doing well" in a very, very limited sense of "really doing well".
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 259, 260, 261 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 260 of 277   

Jump to: