Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tabloid Journalism in the AFL

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:57 am
Post subject: Tabloid Journalism in the AFLReply with quote

Pity the Herald couldn’t raise the bar on the tabloid cringe Murdoch has them printing. Seriously, anyone publishing an article in that rag shouldn't call themself a journalist.
What has happended to the in-depth article, as opposed to headline grabbing 24 hour news cycle posts?

Anyway, enjoy a well written article.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/magazine/soccer-data-liverpool.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

There's plenty within those quotes we need to adapt within our mob. But more on that via the main board.

“In preparation for the Champions League semi-final, he appeared to focus on how the club’s unusually quick defenders could pressure Barcelona’s forwards, intercepting passes and trying to convert them into instant counterattacks”

That July, Liverpool paid Roma about $41 million for Salah. Graham’s data suggested that Salah would pair especially well with Firmino, another of Liverpool’s strikers, who creates more expected goals from his passes than nearly anyone else in his position.

Another acquisition may have been even more important. Soon after arriving at Liverpool, Graham was asked to research a left winger at Inter Milan, Philippe Coutinho. His data strongly endorsed Coutinho. Liverpool bought Coutinho’s rights for about $16 million. Over the next five years, Coutinho’s play contributed to Liverpool’s revival. But his most important contribution was to accrue value. Last year, Barcelona paid Liverpool about $170 million for Coutinho. Soon after, Liverpool spent more than $200 million on three new players: Alisson Becker, the goalkeeper; the midfielder Fabinho; and the fullback Virgil van Dijk. All became crucial contributors this season. These were known commodities, and none came at a bargain price. But without the profit made by selling Coutinho, Henry assured me, those players would not have been acquired.

But I digress from the point of the post...Rupert "the dirty digger' Murcdoch has ruined journalism.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We have some good football writers here like Martin Flanagan, Greg Baum and Emma Quayle – but of course they all write (or wrote) for The Age, and it's difficult to think of anyone of their calibre at The Herald Sun

I think the Murdoch publication is still perfectly good for the functional stuff like match reports and hard sports news, but can't recall it ever hitting any particular heights of writing craft for the feature or op-ed content.

K 

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:21 pm

EQ is no more a journalist. She works in the GWS football (recruiting) department now.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:41 pm

A well written article about Soccer is less preferable to me than a poorly written article about Collingwood.

It's true that the quality of the Herald Sun footy journos is not once it once was, but there's a lot more sources to get content online and readers who want long, rambling opinion pieces go to the Aged or ABC, or read Robbo's rubbish

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:14 am

^ I don’t think much of the ABC’s online AFL coverage, to be honest. The radio broadcasts are always good, but it’s clear the website considers it an afterthought.
K 

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:18 am

Are they Sydney-centric in their news coverage?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:09 pm

afl.com.au has come a long way, but Damo writes a lot of rubbish. I used to like Mike Sheahan's stuff in the Hun but Robbo is a massive twat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: