Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies overcome Swans. All comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

That was just a magnificent victory, close to the best for the entire season. That last quarter just expressed the immense courage, will to win, and solidarity that now inspires and unites our team. No individual heroes stepped up... the entire team stepped up in that dire last quarter. This game establishes us as a truly powerful team, capable of winning against the odds, with half our top 22 out. Reminds me of Hawthorn. I hate Hawthorn with a vengeance, but our tenacity, our belief and will to win under desperate conditions, reminds me of Hawthorn at their peak. I am so proud of the team tonight. This victory is one more that will weld this team into steel come September. And yes, talking of Steele, Sidey was able to exercise a critical influence in that last quarter.
Well done Pies.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PyreneesPie wrote:
Cam wrote:
I agree, Checkers nearly single handledly kicked us out of it.

Did I miss something? That's the second reference to Checkers kicking us out of the game tonight. I know he missed what, a couple of set shots (not the only one), but he put through a sneaky, opportunistic one too. Is this what the posts are referring to - the missed set shots?

He was well below par but he had lots of help from Thomas.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

3rd degree wrote:
Great effort Grundy, Levi and Mayne pretending to be Daicos was magic and thank you Dane Rampe!

I don't usually like to focus on opposition players, but I do wonder what is happening in Rampe's brain at the moment!! Very Happy He really is doing some very odd things, (as well as playing some great football). Very strange.
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:57 am

Take-aways:
- The SCG is a horrible ground to play and watch footy on.
- We play too safe, down the line all the time. We need our midfield to be able to take it to teams and play risky, fast footy. We need to get good at that component of the game, otherwise we are too easy to play against, and will fail at the final hurdle again. We may as well practise that style against the lower teams, instead of keeping them in the game all day by playing the line. Winning without taking risks is a hollow victory anyway. If you think we are playing well at the moment, and just stepping it up when needed, then you really are mistaken. swans had their best player Kennedy off in the last, as well as Hewitt. We've ridden our luck, and tracking as a middle of the road team at the moment.
- Madgen and Wills are not up to it.
- Wells just proved again how valuable he could be for us. He's a natural footballer and we need him. Just so unlucky with injuries.
- We miss Coxy's aerial strength. Reid is too lazy to present on the lead. I've seen him countless times just standing around and not offering leads.
- Treloar turns it over too much. Beams had a poor game. I'd love if was able be bit more aggressive and tackle more.
- Grundy was awesome again. Crispy important. Maynard held Papley well. Greenwood...I'm not a big fan but geez he was solid, didn't make mistakes and took some great marks. Kudos to him.
- Just when you start thinking...what does Mayney actually do?...he comes up with a scissor goal lying on this back, out of nowhere. He just keeps surprising....like how he actually played well in the finals last year.
- Why do we always look hesitant, try to pass off to short targets when we have the ball 40m out? Do we have a kicking coach? If so, sack him.

Boy that was an ugly game to watch. Bring in the Bear next week. Heck we have half our side out. Let's pick it up Pies. Good luck to Wellsy, really hope it's not serious.

Last edited by bally12 on Sat May 25, 2019 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:57 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Cam wrote:

Did I miss something? That's the second reference to Checkers kicking us out of the game tonight. I know he missed what, a couple of set shots (not the only one), but he put through a sneaky, opportunistic one too. Is this what the posts are referring to - the missed set shots?

Can you elaborate please Pies4shaw? I didn't think any of our forwards were clear winners tonight, so Checkers wasn't alone. At least he managed to be in a position to have set shots. As I said, perhaps I'm missing something he did seriously wrong?
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:03 am

What about Browny's goal on the line. They paid that as "blocking". So you can't shepherd the ball on the goal-line anymore? Not even a replay from CH.7.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:05 am

Went to the SCG for the first time. Never again. What an effing sh!thole of a ground to play afl football in. Bucket list tick. Move on. Garbage standard of slippery scrappy ugly football played there regardless of opposition.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:05 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Cam wrote:

Can you elaborate please Pies4shaw? I didn't think any of our forwards were clear winners tonight, so Checkers wasn't alone. At least he managed to be in a position to have set shots. As I said, perhaps I'm missing something he did seriously wrong?

i thought he was very slow to attack the ball, if he did at all. i remarked during thegame that he was standing back watching skinny stevo go for the ball.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:06 am

bally12 wrote:
What about Browny's goal on the line. They paid that as "blocking". So you can't shepherd the ball on the goal-line anymore? Not even a replay from CH.7.

Disgusting. Right in front of me. Right, in front, of ME!!! (No, literally it was).

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:06 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Cam wrote:

I was commenting on their goalkicking. There were other culprits but those two were very poor, particularly as they usually make the most of the chances they get. It’s informative to reflect on the fact that we had three contenders for goal of the week (Mayne, Pendles, Wells) but only managed 7 other goals from all those chances.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:08 am

bally12 wrote:

Yep, typical. Ch 7 broadcasts of Collingwood games are horrendously biased against us. That goal you mention from Mayne was truly extra-ordinary, something out of this world as far as pure reflexes go, but the commentators eg Brian Taylor hardly raised their excitement level. I truly hope that the club sacks BT from compering the Copeland!!!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:08 am

We didn't play our best football, but our ability to grind out wins the way we have this year is a sign of a very good football side.

I always anticipated the match would be a grind. On frequent occasions, our games against the Swans at the SCG have been tight tussles and this one was no different. I don't know whether it's the stadium itself, but we never seem to produce our best football there, so to get away and collect the four points is a great outcome.

I never lost hope we would overpower the Swans in the end. Our inability to convert our opportunities was hurting us, but I had enough confidence in the team to ramp up the intensity and deliver a win in the end. I'm glad my confidence was vindicated.

Excellent games from Grundy, Pendlebury, Brown and Greenwood. Grundy is proving to be one of the best players, let alone the most dominant ruck in the competition. Pendles' good run of form has continued. Brown has taken another step forward in his development, and Greenwood played an above average game tonight.

The injury list is continuing to mount with Wells' injury troubles returning. His ability to hit the scoreboard was first class. I think regardless of the severity of the injury, this will be his final year.

I'm hoping some of our injured players can return soon. Not sure of the timeline, but I hope Moore, De Goey and Cox can all play next week. That would strengthen our team considerably.

Last edited by Jezza on Sat May 25, 2019 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:09 am

bally12 wrote:
Take-aways:
If you think we are playing well at the moment, and just stepping it up when needed, then you really are mistaken. swans had their best player Kennedy off in the last, as well as Hewitt. We've ridden our luck, and tracking as a middle of the road team at the moment.
. Heck we have half our side out. Let's pick it up Pies. Good luck to Wellsy, really hope it's not serious.

I agree, I don't think we are playing well at the moment. Yet we keep winning.
Sydney may have had their best player off (Kennedy), but we had at least 6 of ours missing, as well as Wells who was close to BOG when injured. So, despite not playing well, and having a depleted line up, we were still able to win.
I agree with you: our ball movement seems to have lost some of the aggression and speed we saw last year. I am not sure why: are we attempting alternative methods and structures focussed on limiting the opposition instead?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:10 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
Went to the SCG for the first time. Never again. What an effing sh!thole of a ground to play afl football in. Bucket list tick. Move on. Garbage standard of slippery scrappy ugly football played there regardless of opposition.

Went there once in 2016 (we lost by 80 points that night), and not only was the ground itself ordinary, but the facilities were shithouse.

Most of us take for granted what we've got in Melbourne, but it's 100x better here.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:10 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
bally12 wrote:

Disgusting. Right in front of me. Right, in front, of ME!!! (No, literally it was).

What about the non-free to Grundy. I understand that the Swans player probably didn’t actually intend to elbow him in the face and send him from the ground, bleeding. But that’s scarcely the point. Forceful head contact is forceful head contact and it was occasioned by a bloke throwing his arm back recklessly. That should have been a set shot on goal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10   

Jump to: