Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 
Log inLog in RegisterRegister
 
Post Match. Pies punish Port . All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match
 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MatthewBoydFanClub 



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Location: Elwood

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^They have been the best i50 team in the comp this year. We smashed them in the first quarter and ended up beating them by 13 overall.

Same goes for clearances. They've been dominant (number 1, no team has been close). In the first quarter we killed them there (had the first 5 clearances). They worked their way back in and ended up winning by 4, but the damage was already done.

I think Port Adelaide are a bit one paced in the midfield. You tag their prime movers out, then what do they do? They used to have Chad Wingard to break it up in the middle to give them drive. Now they don’t have that option.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Pies2016 



Joined: 12 Sep 2014


PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:43 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

You can add Polec into that conversation too. He’s flakey but he was the quickest of all of them.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
K 



Joined: 09 Sep 2011


PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

"It took Darcy Moore a couple of years and a few injuries to produce his best football, but the level he is playing at so far in 2019 is a massive tick for the faith Collingwood has shown in the talented father-son recruit. Moore is playing as well as any key defender in the AFL this season, with 12 intercepts and 21 disposals against Port Adelaide underlining his claims for an inaugural All Australian berth at the end of the season. Moore is just as proficient in the air as he is at ground level, with the athletic backman regularly able to come off his man and impact a contest in a positive manner. He's quick off the mark, he reads the game brilliantly and he thrives when he takes the game on. Coach Nathan Buckley said after the game Moore would get better as he played more football, which is an enticing thought to ponder for gleeful Magpies supporters."- Ben Guthrie (afl.com.au)
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
AN_Inkling 



Joined: 06 Oct 2007


PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Woods wrote:
Another reality is that after seven rounds of footy (a small but reasonable sample) Collingwood have won five 1st quarters, but have won only two 2nd quarters.

So the 2nd quarter fade against Port was not an exception, it is the norm based on current form.

As for the 3rd and 4th quarters the Pies have won three of each - a less than 50% win rate for the second half of games so far this year.


Unless the commentary team was wrong (quite possible), we've won all of our first quarters this year.

_________________
Well done boys!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Pies2016 



Joined: 12 Sep 2014


PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

AN_Inkling wrote:
Woods wrote:
Another reality is that after seven rounds of footy (a small but reasonable sample) Collingwood have won five 1st quarters, but have won only two 2nd quarters.

So the 2nd quarter fade against Port was not an exception, it is the norm based on current form.

As for the 3rd and 4th quarters the Pies have won three of each - a less than 50% win rate for the second half of games so far this year.


Unless the commentary team was wrong (quite possible), we've won all of our first quarters this year.


I think you will find we have now won our last ten first quarters, so that obviously includes our last three finals. Happy to be corrected but pretty sure that’s what I heard. It’s always a plan of any team to set out to start well, so we are obviously doing something right.
I also think to many people get hung up about Collingwood letting the opposition back into the game. It’s not often anyone dominates GOOD opposition for four quarters anyway ( and we have played some good teams in those last ten games )
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
watt price tully Scorpio



Joined: 15 May 2007


PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Great win. We have a lot of improvement to go but so far pretty exciting. In my view Cox is a better option than Reid in terms of being a forward and a Ruck. Port did well in the 2nd quarter because (amongst other things) Grundy was rested for parts of the qtr.

I can’t wait for a few weeks when WHE is match fit.
Moore was excellent.

_________________
“It was never about the money” Israel Folau
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
think better 



Joined: 16 May 2005
Location: Adelaide

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:11 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
"It took Darcy Moore a couple of years and a few injuries to produce his best football, but the level he is playing at so far in 2019 is a massive tick for the faith Collingwood has shown in the talented father-son recruit. Moore is playing as well as any key defender in the AFL this season, with 12 intercepts and 21 disposals against Port Adelaide underlining his claims for an inaugural All Australian berth at the end of the season. Moore is just as proficient in the air as he is at ground level, with the athletic backman regularly able to come off his man and impact a contest in a positive manner. He's quick off the mark, he reads the game brilliantly and he thrives when he takes the game on. Coach Nathan Buckley said after the game Moore would get better as he played more football, which is an enticing thought to ponder for gleeful Magpies supporters."- Ben Guthrie (afl.com.au)


He's getting close to be considered like Rance when others have to work out team strategies to negate him. Different type of player but no less damaging to an opposition.

_________________
I think therefore I think - I think
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Woods Capricorn



Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Location: Melbourne

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Woods wrote:
Another reality is that after seven rounds of footy (a small but reasonable sample) Collingwood have won five 1st quarters, but have won only two 2nd quarters.

So the 2nd quarter fade against Port was not an exception, it is the norm based on current form.

As for the 3rd and 4th quarters the Pies have won three of each - a less than 50% win rate for the second half of games so far this year.


Unless the commentary team was wrong (quite possible), we've won all of our first quarters this year.


I think you will find we have now won our last ten first quarters, so that obviously includes our last three finals. Happy to be corrected but pretty sure that’s what I heard. It’s always a plan of any team to set out to start well, so we are obviously doing something right.
I also think to many people get hung up about Collingwood letting the opposition back into the game. It’s not often anyone dominates GOOD opposition for four quarters anyway ( and we have played some good teams in those last ten games )


Mmm, don't know what happened there. Was using the AFL website ladder (advanced options) to find the quarters won.

It now reads (quarters won over last seven rounds)

Q1 - 7 won (0 lost)
Q2- 2 won (5 lost)
Q3 - 3 won (4 lost)
Q4 - 3 won (4 lost)

I think we need to do something about second half performance.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
npalm 



Joined: 01 May 2005


PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
"It took Darcy Moore a couple of years and a few injuries to produce his best football, but the level he is playing at so far in 2019 is a massive tick for the faith Collingwood has shown in the talented father-son recruit. Moore is playing as well as any key defender in the AFL this season, with 12 intercepts and 21 disposals against Port Adelaide underlining his claims for an inaugural All Australian berth at the end of the season. Moore is just as proficient in the air as he is at ground level, with the athletic backman regularly able to come off his man and impact a contest in a positive manner. He's quick off the mark, he reads the game brilliantly and he thrives when he takes the game on. Coach Nathan Buckley said after the game Moore would get better as he played more football, which is an enticing thought to ponder for gleeful Magpies supporters."- Ben Guthrie (afl.com.au)


The media love to hype Collingwood and Collingwood players. As Leigh Mathews always said - you're never as good as the media says you are (and you're never as bad as they say you are).

As for Moore, it's early days still. He is playing well at the moment but let's wait until he completes one solid season before we get too carried away.

_________________
Side by side.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 



Joined: 18 Jul 2018


PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Woods wrote:
It now reads (quarters won over last seven rounds)

Q1 - 7 won (0 lost)
Q2- 2 won (5 lost)
Q3 - 3 won (4 lost)
Q4 - 3 won (4 lost)

I think we need to do something about second half performance.


At the end of the day, it gets dark

It’s a bit like % or the ‘form ladder’ or Which Top 8 sides have we beaten or whatever other output metric you choose - if you win games, nothing else matters

Wasn’t that long ago we were slow starters and having to battle our way back into it. I’d rather win the first quarter and lose the rest for a win than win 3 quarters and lose the game

_________________
https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/sav-sinks-the-dockers/
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Warnings : 1 
WarrenerraW 



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Location: Melbourne

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We got the job done. Simple as that. I expected a closer match and wasn't surprised when they hit back in the second and third. Damage was done in the first while we cruised away in the fourth. Our kicking for goal is appalling and not up to standard. There's no excuse for shanking kicks from 25 out under a closed roof when you're a professional footballer. If we can improve this then we won't have to put up with teams working their way back into the contest. The same thing happened against the peptiders. We controlled the that first quarter and all the forward entries but let ourselves down with rubbish kicking for goal which inevitably gave them a sniff.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
RudeBoy 



Joined: 28 Nov 2005


PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's give Bucks his due credit for turning Moore from an also-ran forward into a probable All-Australian defender.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
K 



Joined: 09 Sep 2011


PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Let's give Bucks his due credit for turning Moore from an also-ran forward into a probable All-Australian defender.

Moore has played in defence before (VFL & juniors).

Just as Howe played in defence under Roos. (Not that we want to give Roos credit for anything.)


Twomey on Darcy (2014): "At times during the season he looked more comfortable playing in defence, where he could run straight at the ball, but he also provided plenty of highlights as a marking and leading centre-half forward for the Chargers..."
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Horatio Fin 



Joined: 03 Apr 2006


PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Let's give Bucks his due credit for turning Moore from an also-ran forward into a probable All-Australian defender.


Yep, and I suspect Darcy probably welcomed the change in role (or possibly requested it?).

He's a gun athlete, take away the pressure of having to kick straight at goal and he can establish himself in the league and go anywhere from there.

As I've noticed commentators say and agree with, he just plays the ball, and reads it so well. I think he's really enjoying the freedom he has in his current role.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum



Privacy Policy

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group