Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies punish Port . All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
When people debate whether we can fit all of Cox, Mihocek and Reid in the one side you have to factor de Goey in also as he's basically a de facto key forward such is his ability and presence within f50.

For it to work de Goey seemingly would need to increase his midfield minutes and with Adams set to miss with injury an opportunity has presented if we wish to trial it.

So if we want to play the 3 talls:

Out:Adams(inj)
In:Cox

If we don't:

Out:Adams(inj)
In:Aish

I'd agree with that, Brown and/or Thomas can pick up Adams midfield minutes, plus De goey as well. We already rotate players through Midfield, forward and bench, we keep doing that and mess with opposition matchups.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:28 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Reid was outstanding, really. Could’ve had 4-5 goals.

But didn't. So, wasn't.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:25 pm

Speaking of good players, Phillips was as good as anyone last night.
His ability to help out as an extra around the contest goes unnoticed far to often.
Please, “ no more is he or isn’t he “. He just is.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:31 pm

Donny wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Reid was outstanding, really. Could’ve had 4-5 goals.

But didn't. So, wasn't.

Hmmm... well one was arguably touched on the line, so he still kicked straighter than Degoey did.

What'sinaname wrote:
I genuinely wonder if we can have both Cox and Reid in the side. Without Mason, we don't have a credible second ruck. Reid and Roughhead we're good at all when thrown in to the ruck.

were or weren't?

Remember Ryder is the best tap ruckman in the country, along with NicNat.

And Lycett only cost us a premiership, so not sure what expectations you had on Reid and Roughhead doing relief ruck, so Grundy didn't drop dead?

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:36 pm

^ weren't...they were awful and the ruck stats prove that. We need a credible second ruck to support Grundy and neither Reid nor Roughy are that.

I also worry about the added stress...why risk the body of these two guys by having to play them in the ruck.

I'd be pissed if Roughy goes down with an injury while in ruck relief duties. He's too important in the backline.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:49 pm

^^Agree. Cox is still well ahead of Reid as our forward/ruck. I know Grundy loves playing big ruck minutes, but I wouldn't think it's great for his longevity.

I think we need a legitimate second centre square ruck in the 22. Cox is that, Reid definitely not and Roughead marginal at best. Moore could be but I don't think we'd want to risk his body.

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:28 pm

Good solid win, I am getting concerned about our inaccuracy in front of goal.
15-18 is not good!
Other than that, we're travelling fine at the minute.

Moore is the GOAT down back!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:32 pm

Port might well have lifted in the 2nd quarter but it was our inaccuracy more than anything that cost us and a prime example of how dangerous missing relatively simple shots on goal can be.

Our misses effectively allowed them to gain and then retain momentum when we could have stopped it dead.

What should have seen an advancement of 6 points on the scoreboard ended up being an 11pt turnaround to what could have been and it's a killer when the opposition gets a run of goals only greeted by behinds.

Let's not push our luck for a 3rd week running Pies.

I want rivers of Blue blood.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:20 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
His ability to help out as an extra around the contest goes unnoticed far to often.

Phillips repeatedly turned the ball over to Port in the 2nd quarter and helped them get back in it. Yes, he got alot of the ball. Yes, his effort, guts and running is spot on. Yes, I was hoping we didn't go through him because he was butchering it.

Phillips 6 clangers
Treloar 8 clangers

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:00 pm

David King had mentioned that one of Ports strengths this year has been their ability to restrict the inside 50's of their opponents.

Puts into perspective how good our first quarter was when we had 20 inside 50's.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:06 pm

^^They have been the best i50 team in the comp this year. We smashed them in the first quarter and ended up beating them by 13 overall.

Same goes for clearances. They've been dominant (number 1, no team has been close). In the first quarter we killed them there (had the first 5 clearances). They worked their way back in and ended up winning by 4, but the damage was already done.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:14 pm

Cam wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Phillips repeatedly turned the ball over to Port in the 2nd quarter and helped them get back in it. Yes, he got alot of the ball. Yes, his effort, guts and running is spot on. Yes, I was hoping we didn't go through him because he was butchering it.

Phillips 6 clangers
Treloar 8 clangers

And yet most people gave Treloar votes at 60 % efficiency, while Phillips went at 70%. Go figure.
I would like all our players to use the ball like Pendlebury but that’s benchmark stuff. Failing that, I’m still impressed by a bloke who gets its 30 plus and makes a few blues because he’s making life a bit easier for his team mates. I just felt his work went unnoticed.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:21 pm

^^Phillips was excellent. I had him in our best 5. Treloar had a good game too but was very quiet in the first half and as the game was won in the first, I couldn't give him votes.
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:57 pm

Everyone here is super impressed by that win, but I'm not so much. I think we still have a lot to improve on to really challenge this year.

I thought our 1st quarter was one of the box, where the ball just bounced for us, and our inside 50 efficiency was off the charts. Port's intensity was nowhere near the mark, hence the spray from Hinkley.
It was obvious in the 2nd quarter Port went in harder and whittled a 50 point lead back to 18 points from early in the 3rd, when Rozee snapped.
That's pretty concerning on our hone patch, especially as in big matches since the GF it's become a bit of a pattern where we get out to 4-5 goal leads only to get reeled in.

I feel when teams get on top of us, it's our midfield that isn't able to maintain its dominance. Browny is doing some nice things but isn't up to the required senior level yet. Another preseason needed to get stronger/fasterr.
Thomas, Brown, Greenwood on the fringes of selection at the moment, and I'd be replacing them from any of: Quaynor, Wells, Mayne, Aish.
Reidy is good value, but I'm not convinced he's a forward. He can't jump anymore and that Port player Howard out-marked him easily most times. As for his kicking for goal from set shots, the less said the better.

Don't get me wrong, I love our team and I believe the premiership is up for grabs for us this year, but we need to limprove a couple of notches from where we are right now.

On the positive side Moore played probably his best game for the club. Pendles seems back to his old self. I think it was against the Doggies in the last quarter...Pendles had the ball and didn't see any options and just put the hammer down for 20 meters to get past a couple of tacklers. I thought...wow it's been a while siince I've seen Pendles do that. There's no doubt he was playing injured last year.
Crispy and Maynard were super solid and hardly put a foot wrong.

Go Pies! Smash the Bluebaggers next week please.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:09 am

Another reality is that after seven rounds of footy (a small but reasonable sample) Collingwood have won five 1st quarters, but have won only two 2nd quarters.

So the 2nd quarter fade against Port was not an exception, it is the norm based on current form.

As for the 3rd and 4th quarters the Pies have won three of each - a less than 50% win rate for the second half of games so far this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: