Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Shame on anyone that booed a champion."

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

PyreneesPie wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:
I thought the Essendon fans were booing because they(mistakenly) believed that a free kick that wasn’t paid to them for holding the ball cost them the game.It’s ridiculous anyway,because the ball was deep in our forward line and there was no guarantee at all that they would score a goal from it.

There’s a time and a place for booing,but not when the Anzac day medal was being presented.All this talk about what about this,what about that,what about the umpires....blah blah blah....Collingwood supporters would have done the same thing is just a complete distraction.It’s blame shifting and making apologies for appalling behaviour from one group of supporters.

Essendon supporters should just grow up,admit they made a mistake and move on,instead of making lame excuses for what they did.And by the way I would have said the same thing if Collingwood supporters had done exactly the same thing.

Absolutely brilliant post Doris. Thank you.

Thanks for your response.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:30 pm

There is no doubt in my mind that the Essendon supporters were booing Pendles because they thought he got a free kick from "ducking". It is that simple. If it had been the umpires in their crosshairs, they would have booed as they left the field.
It shows their utter mendacity and idiocy. In a game in which many umpiring mistakes were made against both teams, and Essendon benefiting from 2 goals as a result, to boo an absolute champion like Pendles, so fair in how he plays, is just a degenerate act from a deranged and no doubt semi-literate element who should be pitied as much as condemned.

Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:30 pm

None of it really bothered me. Booing is part of the game, and Bucks made it clear he was expressing a preference, not advocating policy.

The most bothersome part of it, to me, is the role of the supporter. We cheer to support our team, and to provide some positive reinforcement/feedback when players do something right. The reaction of the crowd is like showing your footy team, "here is something you did right - do more of that."

It's why I believe in cheering an opposition player when he puts his head over a ball, backs into a pack, or scores himself a courage injury. That's more like sending a message to your boys, "see that? That's what we want to see from you."

So when Pendles scores a BOG on a big stage, the productive thing for Bombers fans is to cheer - to send a message to their own boys: "You fell short, but here's an example of what's required."

So what kind of message or reinforcement does a boo from Bombers fans send? "We expect you to lose and then play the victim card"? No point to it.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:36 pm

Yep, agree with the narrow way you have framed it above doriswilgus. It was Anzac day and the post game has traditionally been about remembering them and sharing what an honor it is to represent their spirit. It was an absolute disgrace. The only other time i thought booing was inappropriate is associated with cultural insensitivity (e.g., Goodes)

But i dont want to hear from guys like Barrett who seek to judge when it is appropriate to boo and when its not. If i think Ablett is a tool, its my right to boo him for any reason i like. Arent we just trying to put him off his game. Usually opposition players getting booed is effectively a sign of respect. We rarely boo nobodies and we tend to take pleasure from booing someone who has dominated us many times in the past (e.g., Ablett). Its fun. Beams got booed in Brissy. Totally fine. It resulted in 18 pies getting around him after he kicked a goal which was a great moment, and i be the folks booing, tipped their cap to him, and probably had nice feelings about Beams nothwithstanding that they booed all night (afterall, he was all class up there from what i can tell).

If you guys are troubled by booing, never come to New York! We boo our own players early and often if they dont perform. Even when it is to the detriment of the team. Some players cant play in NY because they cant handle the booing from their own fans!!! Of course, the stars who dont let us down get celebrated as gods, forever!

Last edited by E on Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
E 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:41 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
There is no doubt in my mind that the Essendon supporters were booing Pendles because they thought he got a free kick from "ducking". It is that simple. If it had been the umpires in their crosshairs, they would have booed as they left the field.
It shows their utter mendacity and idiocy. In a game in which many umpiring mistakes were made against both teams, and Essendon benefiting from 2 goals as a result, to boo an absolute champion like Pendles, so fair in how he plays, is just a degenerate act from a deranged and no doubt semi-literate element who should be pitied as much as condemned.

By the way, how do you pick up the ball without putting your head over it???? It wasnt like the Selwood style duck where he has the ball and slips the tackle. I also contrast it from the situation where a player already has the ball and ducks into oncoming tackler. He bent down to pick up the ball (in other words, lowering the head had a purpose) and the essendon players who were in panic mode (given the moment of the game) were very sloppy in the way they responded. That is a free kick 100% of the time isn't it?? it is precisely the type of tackle that the head rule was introduced for. Or am i being biased?

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:45 pm

E wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:

By the way, how do you pick up the ball without putting your head over it???? It wasnt like the Selwood style duck where he has the ball and slips the tackle. I also contrast it from the situation where a player already has the ball and ducks into oncoming tackler. He bent down to pick up the ball (in other words, lowering the head had a purpose) and the essendon players who were in panic mode (given the moment of the game) were very sloppy in the way they responded. That is a free kick 100% of the time isn't it?? it is precisely the type of tackle that the head rule was introduced for. Or am i being biased?

Yeah, I absolutely agree. What was Pendles supposed to do in that situation? Allow Essendon to take possession by simply bowling him over as he stood upright in order to avoid any accusations of ducking??

K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:52 pm

Footy gets the boos

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/footy-gets-the-boos-20190426-p51hlr.html

Baum: "On the way home from the MCG, I made the mistake of listening to feedback on SEN. It was depressing. Vilification heaped upon vileness, upon bile, not mediated or checked. It was directed at the AFL, umpires, Nathan Buckley and, yes, Pendlebury, belying huffy claims that he was mere collateral in a broader protest."

Check out the pic of the lady bashing the ump with her umbrella. Cool

Last edited by K on Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
CootaPie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:01 am

[quote="Jezza"]Ironic that Essendon are crying about the umpiring when I can recall them scoring three goals from poor umpiring decisions/non-decisions.

1). In the second quarter, Guelfi was paid in the back after Grundy tackled him. Turns out Grundy didn't get him in the back during the tackle. Even the commentators thought it was a poor decision.

2). In the last quarter, Langdon and Baguley are in a fair one on one contest and Langdon is unfairly penalised, leading to an easy goal for Baguley from a free kick.

3). Joe Daniher's final quarter snap goal was courtesy of a pass (throw) by McDonald-Tipwugwuti. The umpires completely overlooked it and missed the throw.

The umpiring was poor for both clubs. We were lucky to get away with a few non-HTB decisions, but we would have been penalised mostly in our attacking 50 rather than in our defensive 50. Even if all the non-decisions were paid, they wouldn't have led to direct goals to Essendon.

If anything, Essendon supporters should be upset with their star recruit, Dylan Shiel who did more than enough to damage Essendon's prospects of winning the match with his constant turnovers.

We deserved to win. The margin flattered the Bombers early when we were dominating most of the first half. We struggled after that, but we would have been hard done by to lose a match that we were winning for the whole day.

Absolutely spot on. Essendon got as close as they did because of umpiring rather than despite it. The goals you mention above were huge momentum changers courtesy of poor decisions. The umpiring was just bad - full stop.

The umpires were long gone from the arena before the booing started anyway. The Essendon supporters treatment of a truly great player in Pendlebury was disgraceful and inexcusable.

And any mention by Essendon supporters of Collingwood fans booing Sheed in the same breath as how Pendlebury was treated yesterday is simply ludicrous. One player kicked a high pressure goal in a grand final, the other is a walk-up Hall of Famer.
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:08 am

think positive wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Ironic that Essendon are crying about the umpiring when I can recall them scoring three goals from poor umpiring decisions/non-decisions.

1). In the second quarter, Guelfi was paid in the back after Grundy tackled him. Turns out Grundy didn't get him in the back during the tackle. Even the commentators thought it was a poor decision.

2). In the last quarter, Langdon and Baguley are in a fair one on one contest and Langdon is unfairly penalised, leading to an easy goal for Baguley from a free kick.

3). Joe Daniher's final quarter snap goal was courtesy of a pass (throw) by McDonald-Tipwugwuti. The umpires completely overlooked it and missed the throw.

The umpiring was poor for both clubs. We were lucky to get away with a few non-HTB decisions, but we would have been penalised mostly in our attacking 50 rather than in our defensive 50. Even if all the non-decisions were paid, they wouldn't have led to direct goals to Essendon.

If anything, Essendon supporters should be upset with their star recruit, Dylan Shiel who did more than enough to damage Essendon's prospects of winning the match with his constant turnovers.

We deserved to win. The margin flattered the Bombers early when we were dominating most of the first half. We struggled after that, but we would have been hard done by to lose a match that we were winning for the whole day.
thats how i saw it too, cheers

+2
That's exactly how I saw it. 3 goals gifted to Essendon. Nice of their supporters to be quiet on those. Add another 3 arsey goals from outside 50. Add our missed set shots, and you have an accurate reflection of the game.
Then you have the incredible striking contrast between Pendles and their disgraced hero Hird. It's only fitting that their deranged supporters booed Pendles and continue to idolise Hird. It tells you everything you need to know about them.
And don't worry Worsfold, you won't have a smirk on your face when they start booing you too. They have a habit of booing their own (except for Hirdy the drug cheat of course who they will no doubt welcome back into their fold soon enough). It's only a matter of time.
Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:54 am

Booing umpires is just as inane. Do it, if you must, but it's stupid.

Umpires are human, like the rest of us. They make mistakes, like the rest of us.

There's a sure-fire way to minimize the impact of umpires' mistakes: take the disposition of the game out of their hands by playing dominant footy and doing enough to win the game. Essendon didn't do that. Blaming umpires is them in denial.

Do we get some line-ball frees? Sure. Do Essendon? Yes. Does every team? Absolutely. The true mark of umpiring success is not whether every call they make is correct. The mark is: do you get gifted as many goals as are gifted to your opposition? And I think the answer there is almost certainly yes, also.

Would I be ropeable if we lost a GF by an after-the-siren kick thanks to a dodgy decision by an umpire? Sure. Where does the blame actually rest, though? On my team, for allowing it to get close enough to be decided by an umpire.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:17 am

Streak wrote:
... The true mark of umpiring success is not whether every call they make is correct. The mark is: do you get gifted as many goals as are gifted to your opposition? And I think the answer there is almost certainly yes, also.

The umpires cannot plan to make exactly the same number of mistakes in either side's favour, so you cannot mark them on something unplanned. And there's no reason in a single game that they will balance out. It may roughly balance out over a decade or a year, but not in one game.
Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:41 am

K wrote:
The umpires cannot plan to make exactly the same number of mistakes in either side's favour, so you cannot mark them on something unplanned. And there's no reason in a single game that they will balance out. It may roughly balance out over a decade or a year, but not in one game.

Who said anything about planning? I am arguing they make mistakes randomly, which means pretty consistently. Balancing out over the course of a season is exactly what I was talking about, and I believe it probably does (because a 'legitimate' free kick is a largely subjective concept, you can't really measure it).

Can bad umpiring impact a game? Sure. Can bad umpiring impact a season record? I very much doubt it.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:48 am

Anything unplanned, i.e. random, won't cancel out unless the numbers are really large (and they're not biased against some sides, which we don't know either). We have no idea what the size of the effects of bad decisions is.

e.g. the wrong video goal review decison of the JJ kick for Adelaide against Port could have swapped which of them made finals and which didn't, though in the end neither did, so it didn't matter in that way.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:41 am

I saw a post in my Instagram feed yesterday which depicted Pendles and Hird as joint triple Anzac day medalists.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bws3DHhDFRS

OMG, read the comments by the kool aid drinking Bombers fans, apparently Pendles is a soft, diving, cheat while Hird is a true champion. Sickening especially after the PED scandal Hird caused at their club.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:10 am

We should boo Michael Christian and the MRP. Cant believe Howe was charged with reckless play and fined for making a normal tackle.

Booooooooooooooo!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13   

Jump to: