Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Anti Christian Islamic terror attack in Sri Lanka

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:20 am
Post subject: Anti Christian Islamic terror attack in Sri LankaReply with quote

It took about a minute for people to post about the NZ mosque attack, about the same amount of time for crowing about white nationalist terrorism. Crickets on here about a coordinated Islamic attack on Christians during their holiest time of the year.

Nobody really cares about non-white victims I guess, or just apologists for Islam. Shameful.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRUvo8oyXZ4
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:28 pm

Or maybe people were still enjoying the long weekend and nicks wasn’t their priority. I haven’t seen a tv except one playing the footy at the local pub for 3 days! Heard a little on the radio but not enough to comment.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:31 pm

Strange how some people are so concerned about non-white victims (generally Muslim) of Islamic extremism when it's in a far away land and yet when these same desperate non-white persecuted people (generally Muslim) arrive here by boat seeking a safe and better life they wash their hands of them.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:13 pm

A coordinated attack on Christians and tourists, 290 dead so far and hundreds more injured. Like Christchurch, people were attacked in thir place of worship and also at high class hotels.

I read on CNN and the local papers that there was allegedly a warning from an international agency that a fringe group of Islamic exremists were planning something but to date no confirmation of who's responsible. They do have several suspects in custody so i guess stay tuned.

From what I read both Muslims and Christians are a small minority of the population and there's been no previous instances of Islamic terrorism

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:16 pm

Quality work, Wokko. World tragedies are all about you, after all.

Hopefully, this doesn't disturb what is a sensitive balance of religions and ethnicities. Tourism was flourishing from all reports, so that will take a hit. Sri Lankans I have met were really upbeat about things, too.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:16 pm

Horrific attack on the holiest day for Christians Sad

Hopefully all the perpetrators involved are brought to justice.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:12 am

pietillidie wrote:

Hopefully, this doesn't disturb what is a sensitive balance of religions and ethnicities. Tourism was flourishing from all reports, so that will take a hit. Sri Lankans I have met were really upbeat about things, too.

Of course it will dirupt things, that's what it was designed to do.290 dead,500 injured, but lets worry about the tourist trade and ignore the elephant in the room

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:35 am

stui magpie wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Of course it will dirupt things, that's what it was designed to do.290 dead,500 injured, but lets worry about the tourist trade and ignore the elephant in the room

I mean disturb the country's broader stability and trajectory. These terrorist acts are quite a different matter to the civil war, so short of insight into inter-group relations, hoping things don't devolve is a reasonable first thought.

You might like to start worrying about tourism, which has been a major post-war success story and is now a substantial economic sector. Imagine that blow following the immediate death and destruction.

And just what would you like to say about fundamentalist nutcases that isn't blindingly obvious? Perhaps your support for the Iraq War has given you cause to redefine what an intelligent and effective response to violent extremism might look like. If so, I'm all ears.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:40 am

Just gut-wrenching news, and evidence that, even with the decline of ISIS as a rallying point and a relative lull in attacks on Western civilians, the international Islamist terrorist genie is still nowhere near being put back in the bottle.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:39 am

stui magpie wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

I think the point here is that the Sri Lankan economy depends on four main industries: tea, tourism, clothing, and rubber. Of these, tea is the biggest, followed by tourism, then the other two. However only tourism provides any real prospect for growth. Worse, tourism is highly vulnerable to disruption, where the other three are not.

Without its second-biggest industry (and its only major growth industry), the Sri Lankan economy is very likely to collapse (it's shaky enough as is), and an economic collapse will almost inevitably lead to political chaos. In fragile, multi-ethnic Sri Lanka, that would be a disaster.

In short, the real elephant in the room here is political chaos, violence, repression, and possibly even renewed civil war. The fear PTID is expressing (if I read him aright) is that this murder of a few hundred people could very well lead, over the next few years, to to the death of thousands, if not through violence, then through economic breakdown, poverty and malnutrition.

I believe that people of good sense there will see this through in a balanced and practical way. I certainly hope so. I'll be doing my little bit by returning (as already planned) later this year and spending a bit of my hard-earned. (Well, OK, probably a lot.)

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:12 am

Thanks for the insights, Tannin. It does seem strange, as someone posted above, that an Islamist attack on Christians should occur in a country known for its violent conflicts between Hindus and Buddhists. What direct effect that will have on that simmering tension seems hard to grasp – so it does seem likely that further problems will be caused by secondary issues like economic crises.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:38 am

David wrote:
Thanks for the insights, Tannin. It does seem strange, as someone posted above, that an Islamist attack on Christians should occur in a country known for its violent conflicts between Hindus and Buddhists. What direct effect that will have on that simmering tension seems hard to grasp – so it does seem likely that further problems will be caused by secondary issues like economic crises.

That’s a real worry, that it might ignite the tension again.

The tourism comment is a fair point, since obvious tourist hotels were hit, obviously targeted to effect the tourist industry, and try and cripple the country that way.

I’ll never understand it. How anyone blows themselves, let alone others up. Were there any that didn’t hit the button? That too is a worry.

Just bloody awful.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:31 am

It's nothing new...

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/attacks/christian-attacks.aspx

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:21 pm

Fair point Tannin.

It's not just tourism and the economy, their political scene is a shambles.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/asia/sri-lanka-bombings-live-bomb-detonated-on-road-to-colombo-airport-20190422-p51g12.html

Multiple sources sent warnings to people in government but nothing got done with them. The Prime Minister doesn't even attend the Security council meetings.

There's thought that this local terrorist mob couldn't have pulled this off without help. ISIS foot soldiers may have been defeated but the heads of the snake are still in hiding and cashed up, this caper is right out of their play book.

Doing a bit of reading it seems that the Christian and Muslim minorities aren't treated overly well by the government, and both I believe were in with the Tamil separatist movement with the Hindu's.

Bit of info on the suspected terrorist group.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/what-is-the-national-thowheeth-jamaath-20190423-p51gd8.html

CIA world fact book is a good source of data about a country https://www.cia.gov/library/PUBLICATIONS/the-world-factbook/geos/ce.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: