Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Travis Varcoe - has father time caught up?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't heard the last of TV.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:09 pm

^ Absolutely not!!! Some of Trav's fair dinkum tackling and outside speed would've helped tonight.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:11 pm

[quote="PyreneesPie"]^ Absolutely not!!! Some of Trav's fair dinkum tackling and outside speed would've helped tonight.[/quote
He doesn't get the ball enough!!!
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:28 pm

[quote="masoncox"]
PyreneesPie wrote:
^ Absolutely not!!! Some of Trav's fair dinkum tackling and outside speed would've helped tonight.[/quote
He doesn't get the ball enough!!!

Probably not so far this season, but he is so skilled when he does get it and there's hardly a better run-down tackler in the game.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:30 pm

I think he was missed tonight.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:39 pm

Went missing again against the Bears. If the off-field issues have become too much of a distraction, give him time off to work through it.
If however selection is won on consistent output, given he didn't fire against quality sides in the Cats or Tigers then we're making the mistake of carrying him. He's the type of player brought in to deliver X factor.

With WHE and in particular Wells available for senior selection before long, a player like Varcoe will find it harder and harder to maintain his spot.

If he gets picked this week and fails to fire again, selectors should and will be forced to make a change.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:47 pm

My thoughts would be WHE when fit and firing way better alternative than Trav
And watching Wells yesterday (altho played in small segments) he too would have more upside

Callum has put his hand up (and just 20yrs) with positive years to come

Trav May get out of his mediocre form and make us eat our word as good player can do

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:07 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
we're making the mistake of carrying him. He's the type of player brought in to deliver X factor.

These two lines in your post Laurie seem to contradict themselves!.

I don't think he went missing in the last game at all. If you watch carefully, he was directly involved in goal assists and defensive saves with some brilliant, instinctive 1% moves, which he is so noted for.

He was also often available in the clear for forward passages of play, but wasn't used and that may be part of his role now too - as a very defective decoy to take at least one of the opposition away from the heat of the middle.

Even if he has lost a yard or two in speed, he's still pretty quick across the ground (just as quick as Tay or Sidey for example) and furthermore, you just can't replace his wily ways and experience.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:04 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
Went missing again against the Bears. If the off-field issues have become too much of a distraction, give him time off to work through it.
If however selection is won on consistent output, given he didn't fire against quality sides in the Cats or Tigers then we're making the mistake of carrying him. He's the type of player brought in to deliver X factor.

With WHE and in particular Wells available for senior selection before long, a player like Varcoe will find it harder and harder to maintain his spot.

If he gets picked this week and fails to fire again, selectors should and will be forced to make a change.

He has averaged 10-12 possessions for 12 years. I guess he has thrived on quality and important possessions (hello opening 30 seconds 2011 Grand Final. However two things:

1. When moved to the backline in second half after Aish was concussed, he got 8 of 11 possessions against the Bears with excellent disposal and pace off half back

2. It reminded me of a patch of matches three years ago (especially up on the Gold Coast) where he had 33 possessions there. Yes it was three years ago, however I can't help that his pace and disposal solves a big recent problem for us and that is our exiting from defence.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:07 pm

Not much point referring to the 2011 Grand Final. Just once in your career (unless, of course, you're Brisbane) do you get Leon Davis trailing behind you for the first 5 minutes of a Grand Final.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:33 pm

I'm still a fan, I'm not sold on Callum Brown yet. The season is young. Go Pies
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:04 am

watt price tully wrote:

Brown is getting better each week. At just 17 games the body of work isn't vast, but he's a player, I have no doubts. He plays like another young no.17 did when he first debuted, whom now wears the no.11. I look forward to be reviewing his output at game 50.
But I digress...

Varcoe in his traditional role is done. He not having the impact required. We need to look forward.
I reckon he's the type of player that could well respond to a new challenge and that needs to be off half-back. We might get another 2 years out of him in that role.

He's out of contract this year. He'll be 32 at the start of next season so there's no guarantee that we'd sign him for anything other than a 1 year contract. That would no doubt be pretty confronting to a veteran. I'd sit him down, discuss the possibilities of a role change, trial it in the reserves for several weeks and if it works offer him a 1 year deal.

With the likes of Tomlinson out of contract, I know where our focus should be.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:04 am

watt price tully wrote:

Brown is getting better each week. At just 17 games the body of work isn't vast, but he's a player, I have no doubts. He plays like another young no.17 did when he first debuted, whom now wears the no.11. I look forward to be reviewing his output at game 50.
But I digress...

Varcoe in his traditional role is done. He not having the impact required. We need to look forward.
I reckon he's the type of player that could well respond to a new challenge and that needs to be off half-back. We might get another 2 years out of him in that role.

He's out of contract this year. He'll be 32 at the start of next season so there's no guarantee that we'd sign him for anything other than a 1 year contract. That would no doubt be pretty confronting to a veteran. I'd sit him down, discuss the possibilities of a role change, trial it in the reserves for several weeks and if it works offer him a 1 year deal.

With the likes of Tomlinson out of contract, I know where our focus should be.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:07 am

Bit early to be comparing him with Burns, McHale, Merrett, Barwick or Mike Richardson but Callum Brown is a future gun.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:16 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Bit early to be comparing him with Burns, McHale, Merrett, Barwick or Mike Richardson but Callum Brown is a future gun.

I wasn't too sure about it before... but I've personally seen enough now to think that too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: