Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Travis Varcoe

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:20 am
Post subject: Travis VarcoeReply with quote

Caught end of morning Ch 2 news —Travis calls for an end to racial sledge

Any one care to paste Herald Sun article please.

Last edited by BazBoy on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies champ Travis Varcoe calls for end to racist attacks on footballers

NUI TE KOHA and PETER ROLFE, , Herald Sun
March 12, 2019 8:40pm
Subscriber only

Collingwood star Travis Varcoe says indigenous players should be able to enjoy playing the game they love without copping racial slurs from fans.

Varcoe has issued a plea to footy supporters for respect, three weeks after Adelaide and former Carlton star Eddie Betts was racially abused on ­social media, and with the AFL season just eight days away.

The AFL Fans Association on Tuesday night called for club memberships to be stripped from racist supporters — as the AFL Players’ Association said footballers were sick of social media attacks, which were also having an impact on AFLW players.

Magpies star Varcoe ­described the treatment of three-time All-Australian Betts as “a disgrace’’, saying racist slurs against indigenous players needed to stop.

“We’re going out to do what we love to do and then we get that treatment — it’s just unfair,’’ he said.

“When are we going to be allowed to just play footy? When are we going to be able to do what we love without this? It’s ­infuriating, as Eddie has done so many positive things for the game.’’

AFL Players Association chief executive Paul Marsh said racism towards players was an industry-wide issue. Picture: Hamish Blair

After an ­offensive remark was put on his Instagram page during an AFLX match at Marvel ­Stadium, Betts himself asked: “When will it stop?’’

In 2016, he had a ­banana thrown at him while he was playing.

The shocking “monkey see monkey do” ­remark aimed at Betts on his Instagram was roundly condemned by the AFL and players, with Geelong star Patrick Dangerfield branding it: “Disgusting. ­Cowardly. Racist”.

Fans Association president Gerry Eeman said the strongest possible action should be taken against anyone found guilty of the “disgusting’’ ­behaviour, including memberships being stripped.

“They are cowardly cheap shots and those people have just got to pull their heads in.,’’ he said.

AFL Players Association chief executive Paul Marsh said it was an industry-wide issue that needed the urgent attention of the league, key players, government and clubs.

“It’s going to require a serious effort by all these parties working together to try and put a stop to it,’’ he said. “It’s very difficult to understand how in 2019 a fan could not know this is not acceptable.

“This is an issue that has been going on for far too long, not just racism but homophobic or gender equality ­comments at AFLW players, mostly coming through social media,’’ he said.

Varcoe added: “When you get into this caper of work, you grow a thick skin, but your friends, family and loved ones are not as strong as you are.

“It has an emotional bearing on them. It’s very disheartening. No one should be treated like that, no matter if you’re Aboriginal or what your heritage is,” he said at Kayo’s launch of the Australian Grand Prix and Melbourne 400 at the MCG on Tuesday.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:55 am

Thank you for that —Trav is one of the gentlemen in our game and he must
feel strong on this as he is not an attention seeker

Sorry I got it wrong Trav. It’s Varcoe

glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:07 am

I don't understand why policing bad behavior hasn't solved this. Surely today with cameras and security all over the place the people can be caught an processed so as to not gain access. Are they simply saying bad boy and making them leave for the day?

Its a failure

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:25 pm

BazBoy wrote:
Sorry I got it wrong Trav. It’s Varcoe

Good. Now, you can fix the topic title.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:39 pm

Dunno how
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:03 pm

BazBoy wrote:
Dunno how

go to your first post and push edit, and you will be able to edit it!! cheers

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:09 pm

Good oh !
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:44 pm

glasseyevfx wrote:
I don't understand why policing bad behavior hasn't solved this. Surely today with cameras and security all over the place the people can be caught an processed so as to not gain access. Are they simply saying bad boy and making them leave for the day?

Its a failure

Do you really think that the AFL, or any other body, has the capacity to stop racists and morons from existing? As long as humans have existed they have existed and they always will.

Travis can say what he did and that's understandable but this is Australia not Utopia.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:17 pm

I agree 5from the wing - the AFL can't stop it - but we can. Why doesn't the club issue a statement highlighting Trav's (probably off the cuff and individual) comments and produce some sort of strength-in-numbers approach, a march to the G in support of racial tolerance / anti-discrimination whatever you want to say.

That would be well supported by Pies followers at the moment - we're all on a high entering this year - and send a strong message to the wider community and AFL community that the general populace abhors racial discrimination.

Collingwood is bigger than the AFL, remember that Razz

- Ben
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:36 pm

I would prefer if players refrain from social media or at least limit its use to people they know. The NRL is imploding at the moment over this stuff. Whilst I agree with the statements I never want to see the situation where a very immature schoolgirl is left 100s of miles from home and being demonized again and I don't want to see dobber text used just to get a person removed because they are falsely accused by an anonymous arsehole.

The crowd should respond if it happens and by all means ridicule the perpetrator, if it can be proved. If it happens on social media then ban the person or block or whatever they do. 200 reports to facebook or whomever and a threat to involve them in a messy lawsuit should be enough for those organisations to close accounts.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:05 pm

Collingwood fan banned after racial slur during grand final

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-fan-banned-after-racial-slur-during-grand-final-20190418-p51ffv.html

Cheer-squad member.

"The member’s suspension came to light in Wednesday night’s 7.30 program on the ABC, which featured Collingwood player Travis Varcoe detailing abuse received from racist Facebook trolls."

Anyone watch the program last night?
K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:14 pm

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/7-30

[Starts 19:25]
K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:23 pm

"Do you think anyone would ever consider not playing in protest against racism?"

TV: "I've thought about it... and... no, I can't sort of sit here and lie and say I haven't thought about it... but if we do take that sort of stand we just play into the hands of people who are putting out those sorts of comments... We lose."
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:47 pm

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-20/it-is-divisive-hurtful-and-not-welcome-power-respond-to-racist-post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: