Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Form ladder 2019

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
Is a form ladder the same as power rankings?

Yep, pretty much the same concept from my understanding. Smile

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
...which, on top of the result, just shows what a waste of time this thread is

Seems like it must be a waste of your time to post in it, yes. But I believe in the right of people to waste their time if they feel like it.

Last edited by David on Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:31 am

Jezza wrote:
Is a form ladder the same as power rankings?

What are power rankings?! (Okay, I see David's edited reply above.)
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:36 am

David wrote:
... But I believe in the right of people to waste their time if they feel like it.

We can look at whether form is just because of injury profile. The difference between Brisbane's and Melbourne's form looks like it's just because they are at opposite ends of the injury ladder (although the injury ladder's a bit different because it's meant to be about how long players are going to be out, not just how badly teams are hit right now.)
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:06 am

^ The trouble with that is that you never really know whether a team will emerge from their injury woes or whether getting those players back will actually substantially improve their fortunes. And if we’re going to measure by players who are out, why not by players who are still on the field but struggling with an ongoing niggle? Or, for that matter, players who are simply out of form?

I guess it kind of depends what you’re trying to measure (say, a ladder of potential), but to me anything more than actual results gets too much into the realm of the intangible.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:19 pm

There are bigger troubles than that, I realized after posting. Your form ladder doesn't sound as complementary to my injury ladder as I originally thought, now that I know "form ladder" is a misnomer...

The stuff you say above of course I have to make the best guess at, just as you are doing for your form ladder, so that's not a real problem. (I should probably explain what my vague ideas were when I posted my first injury ladder, and what they'll be for future injury ladders -- possibly not the same things.) You are just doing your ladder by eye and gut feel (when there are attempts by others to do it more objectively and quantitatively). Staring at injury lists is at least as reliable as that.

And the claim "Brissy has been doing well because they've had no injuries; Melbourne has bombed because they have many injuries" is solid.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:37 pm

Okay, just so we all know what this is supposed to be...

David wrote:
1) Due to the unevenness of the draw, the official AFL ladder gives us an (at best) incomplete perspective on how teams are actually performing. Earlier on in the season - particularly over the first 10-12 weeks - it's hard to gain anything much from it. Some teams may have played the main wooden spoon contenders; some may not have played any of them. ...

2) Personally, I'm not terribly excited by the idea of waiting until round 15 or 17 to discuss which teams are going well and which teams are going terribly. Every single match tells us something about where each club is at. ... Our perception here is derived from who they've played against, how badly they've lost and (a little trickier to measure) how much potential for improvement there is. My aim is simply to crystallise one perception (i.e. mine) in the form of a ladder.

3) Another small reason for doing this is that I think too much emphasis is sometimes given to winning. ... Thus, winning margins count for a lot on this ladder.

4) This is not a form ladder in the sense of measuring recent form (say, just last week's or last five weeks'). The aim is to map teams' performances over the entire season to date. ... let me make this clear: round 1 results remain as relevant as round 15 results. The distinction here is significant and wholly deliberate.

5) Every ladder I come up with merely reflects my subjective interpretation. If you understand the concept and think it's at all worthwhile, I encourage you to post your own ladders and/or disagree with my or others' choice of positioning. Looking back over last season, there were times when I got it right and times when I got it badly wrong. That's all a perfectly valid part of the exercise.

6) If you don't think it's a worthwhile exercise, that's perfectly fine. I don't really see the point of posting in here just to tell people what a terrible idea you think it is, but it's a free country.

See e.g. Point 4)!!!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:00 pm

Thanks K. I should probably post that FAQ every year, given I always seem to get the same incredulous questions. Laughing
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:04 am

There are oodles of "power rankings" on NFL, NBA, Sports Illustrated, etc. websites, so it may be a naming thing. Not that I think the word "power" isn't a bit strange.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Round 5 form ladder:

1. Geelong
2. West Coast
3. GWS
4. Collingwood
5. Fremantle
6. St. Kilda
7. Port Adelaide
8. Essendon

9. Brisbane
10. Western Bulldogs
11. Hawthorn
12. Gold Coast
13. Adelaide
14. Richmond
15. Carlton
16. Melbourne
17. North Melbourne
18. Sydney

GWS and West Coast both lost a lot of cred on the weekend, but there's no team quite worthy of replacing them in the top 3 yet. I realise now that I had Fremantle much too low last round (no shame in a two-goal loss to West Coast, and otherwise good performances so far, with their win against GWS showing that they're capable of matching it with the better sides). St Kilda, too, haven't really put a foot wrong yet, and their round 2 win against Essendon seems like a much bigger achievement now. I'm still not totally convinced on Port – not just because of the Richmond loss, but because their two previous wins against Melbourne and Carlton were pretty unconvincing, and losing to Brisbane seems a bit more embarrassing now.

5–11 is still very tight (and it's hard to get a read on a lot of those sides), but I'd be just about ready to draw a line through Gold Coast (who seem to have developed an annual habit of falling into a hole after Round 3), Adelaide (generally useless, apart from their big win on the weekend), Richmond (beating the worst team in the comp by 22 points isn't that much to write home about) and the unfortunates beneath them.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:47 pm

To be more compatible with the form ladder (power rankings), the injury ladder will account for the past (i.e. R1-5) as well as future (e.g. "player *** just did his ACL & is out for the year, including finals").

R5 injury ladder (1 = best injury profile; 18 = worst):

1. Brisbane
2. WCE
3. Essendon
4. Geelong
5. WB
6. Carlton
7. Port
8. Richmond
9. GWS
10. Fremantle
11. GC
12. Collingwood
13. Sydney
14. Adelaide
15. NM
16. Melbourne
17. Hawthorn
18. StK

Brisband & WC picked up injuries on the weekend but still keep the top two spots on the ladder. StK were further harmed by the Howe-like injury and surgery to their captain, Geary. There are about 8 teams in the middle it's difficult to separate.

StK (in a good way) & Carlton (in a bad way) are the two teams whose form and injuries are poles apart, but StK have not been tested properly by good opposition yet.

The Pies have Elliott & Aish joining the injury list, and I can't fit our club in higher than 12th.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:50 am

And so, as we head in to the last 2 games of round 6, there is a very real possibility that the entire top 8 will be on 4 wins and 2 losses at the end of the round. That possibility will be realised if West Coast beat Geelong. There will be, at the least, 7 teams in the 8 on 4 wins and 2 losses. If West Coast wins, the top 9 will be 4 and 2 and there is a genuine prospect that Ninthmond will reclaim their rightful spot amongst that bunch.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:36 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
...If West Coast wins, the top 9 will be 4 and 2 and there is a genuine prospect that Ninthmond will reclaim their rightful spot amongst that bunch.

That doesn't mean they'll be in the top 9 of the form ladder. And they may drop out of the top 8 of the injury ladder.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:08 am

Cats will crush WCE.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:44 pm

Round 6 form ladder:

1. Geelong
2. GWS
3. West Coast
4. Collingwood
5. Fremantle
6. Port Adelaide
7. Essendon
8. St. Kilda

9. Brisbane
10. Western Bulldogs
11. Adelaide
12. Hawthorn
13. Richmond
14. Gold Coast
15. Carlton
16. North Melbourne
17. Melbourne
18. Sydney

Am I underrating Richmond? I do agree with most observers that they'll get better, but looking at the results alone, it's still hard to see exactly what they've achieved – the win against Port is probably the only one worth noting; otherwise, they've beaten three of the bottom four sides, and not all that convincingly either. I do think I probably wrote them and Adelaide off too early, though. There's still not much separating teams in places 7–13.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:34 pm

R6 injury ladder (1 = best injury profile; 18 = worst):

1. Brisbane
2. WCE
3. Geelong
4. Essendon
5. WB
6. GWS
7. Fremantle
8. Carlton
9. Port
10. Richmond
11. Collingwood
12. GC
13. Sydney
14. Adelaide
15. NM
16. Melbourne
17. Hawthorn
18. StK

Injuries keep piling up. Andrews and Mathieson are back in training, so Brisbane stay on top of the ladder. Despite Barrass's injury and Simpson's whinge about the Optus Oval surface, WC have nothing to complain about.
Lonie did not tear an ACL but will still miss a couple of months, so StK stay at the bottom of the ladder. Viney is injured and Melbourne could sink further.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9   

Jump to: