Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pip Dogs. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
After Pendlebury and Sidebottom, Brown is our best ball-handler. He doesn't get his hands on it enough, yet but he is very, very slick. If given a chance, I think he has the potential to be a Sam Mitchell style distributor for us. I think either he or Cox between them were probably involved in virtually all of our last 6 goals.

He's still only 20 and he's played 14 games. There's a lot of people too quick to judge.

Good call give the kid a chance has already shown some really good signs.

www.facebook/the hybernators
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
So after four rounds, everyone has now been beaten at least once.
We might only be firing on five cylinders but I’m not convinced we’re going as badly as some have repeatedly posted.

Ok in a 6 cylinder, not great in a V12.

I'm not convinced the AFL Window of Mediocrity isn't still wide open, with cheap premierships on offer. (Maybe WC or GWS could slam it shut, though.) David likes posting his "form ladder". We should start posting an "injury ladder". I think we're not too bad on that ladder, which gives us a shot. Rich are not quite headed for the injury-ladder wooden spoon, but let's wait a few more weeks and see. Cool
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:57 pm

I think people forget we played off in the GF last year and our early season form now nearly mirrors 2018
Facts are Howe is way underdone as is Treloar after injury hampered there preseasons
Pendles is a year older and showing some little signs of slowing down in some areas but still worth his weight in gold when the pressure is really on. His last quarter last night was very good. In 1 passage of play he touched it 4 times including twice inside our defensive 50 then at the back of the square then 65m from goal
Sidey is coming off a career best year and other than the GF when he was beaten very badly his form in 2018 was sensational. I predicted in the preseason he would get more attention from opposition and that's what's happening most weeks. He's playing more outside but being bodied a lot more around the ground and made work harder for his touches
Roughhead is going nicely but still working into our system
Phillips kicking really needs to improve before he gets the accolades some give him already
I think we need to change our set up around a little
Cox biggest strength is when he can run and jump at it
He's starting more at CHF I would put him out of goal square and clear everything in front of him and have Stephenson and Elliott work back towards him when ball is in flight
Elliott as our deepest forward isn't the right set up neither is playing Stephenson right up the ground.
In defence our kicking has been ordinary
Howe will improve but you can see there is a dicrective or lack or trust in Langdon. He seems to be on the not to kick list and if you dont believe it have a look at his meters gained
His kick are generally sideways or backwards he isnt trusted kicking up the ground. Getting 15-20 tocuhes and going for around 100m tells the story when all other defenders are 300m+ with the same amount of disposals
Moore is a elite kick most of the time and he seems to be used as the player to get the ball out of danger and set up play
I would like to see us run and carry the ball to break lines more as well
Apparently Wells went very good in the seconds so he might earn a spot in coming weeks to add some class
We are 2-2 and the next 4 weeks we have winnable games if we can improve on our recent form
Next week is interesting as the lions load up with quick players so we need to be mindful of that at the selection table
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:51 pm

WC did not beat the Fyfe-less Freo by a lot, so our poor game against WC is looking a little poorer.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:07 am

K wrote:
WC did not beat the Fyfe-less Freo by a lot, so our poor game against WC is looking a little poorer.

And the Eagles are looking a lot more beatable.

We just haven't worked them out yet.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:17 am

They do have Nic Nat to come back.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:41 am

We have WHE to come back. I think the addition of WHE to our forward configuration will be brilliant. That extra pace and marking talent up forward will create very complex issues for opposition defences. ... I think his return to us is actually more important than the return of Nicnat to them... I really don't think he is as damaging as his size and athleticism would suggest. I think the return of Gaff was more important to them.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:47 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
I think people forget we played off in the GF last year and our early season form now nearly mirrors 2018
Facts are Howe is way underdone as is Treloar after injury hampered there preseasons
Pendles is a year older and showing some little signs of slowing down in some areas but still worth his weight in gold when the pressure is really on. His last quarter last night was very good. In 1 passage of play he touched it 4 times including twice inside our defensive 50 then at the back of the square then 65m from goal
Sidey is coming off a career best year and other than the GF when he was beaten very badly his form in 2018 was sensational. I predicted in the preseason he would get more attention from opposition and that's what's happening most weeks. He's playing more outside but being bodied a lot more around the ground and made work harder for his touches
Roughhead is going nicely but still working into our system
Phillips kicking really needs to improve before he gets the accolades some give him already
I think we need to change our set up around a little
Cox biggest strength is when he can run and jump at it
He's starting more at CHF I would put him out of goal square and clear everything in front of him and have Stephenson and Elliott work back towards him when ball is in flight
Elliott as our deepest forward isn't the right set up neither is playing Stephenson right up the ground.
In defence our kicking has been ordinary
Howe will improve but you can see there is a dicrective or lack or trust in Langdon. He seems to be on the not to kick list and if you dont believe it have a look at his meters gained
His kick are generally sideways or backwards he isnt trusted kicking up the ground. Getting 15-20 tocuhes and going for around 100m tells the story when all other defenders are 300m+ with the same amount of disposals
Moore is a elite kick most of the time and he seems to be used as the player to get the ball out of danger and set up play
I would like to see us run and carry the ball to break lines more as well
Apparently Wells went very good in the seconds so he might earn a spot in coming weeks to add some class
We are 2-2 and the next 4 weeks we have winnable games if we can improve on our recent form
Next week is interesting as the lions load up with quick players so we need to be mindful of that at the selection table

Qld Magpie: agree absolutely that having Stephenson up the ground is wrong. Moving Stephenson forward was an essential part of how we overpowered the WB. Agree also that Cox should be playing back in the goal square far more often, and we should more systematically be kicking so that he can run at it, with Elliott and Stephenson to gobble up the crumbs when Cox brings it to ground (if he doesn't mark it). As for your criticism of Langdon: honestly, I know it is to create a reaction from someone, and I am therefore doing exactly what you want...but whatever faults you want to find, you cannot deny just how brilliant his intercept marking is, and how he reads the play in defence. I am very, very happy to have Tom Langdon in defence. He is a future legend.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:56 am

Geek wrote:
K wrote:

And the Eagles are looking a lot more beatable.

We just haven't worked them out yet.

Don't really believe that you can base your assessment of how we went against them by comparing it to how they go against the next team. Such analysis is generally very flawed.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:35 am

Myfirst game of the yr, to attend. it was a typical doggies game of yrs ago, when they were the scraggers , real scraggy game, tough dour, mistakes, pressure. But we found a way, to win and they had beaten the hawks two weeks back,so we did ok I reckon. Like sometimes these tight tough games r worth more than a ten goal romp home, cos u learn more from them, a tight hard contest. I reckon we won it on guts and determination, a real guts win, that should kick start our season now.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:49 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
Don't really believe that you can base your assessment of how we went against them by comparing it to how they go against the next team. Such analysis is generally very flawed.

But the Lions beat WC by 44, then the Eagles beat GWS by 52 who beat Essendon by 72, and now the Bombers have beaten Brisbane by 47 - so therefore the Lions are a 36 goal better side than Brisbane!

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:13 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Myfirst game of the yr, to attend. it was a typical doggies game of yrs ago, when they were the scraggers , real scraggy game, tough dour, mistakes, pressure. But we found a way, to win and they had beaten the hawks two weeks back,so we did ok I reckon. Like sometimes these tight tough games r worth more than a ten goal romp home, cos u learn more from them, a tight hard contest. I reckon we won it on guts and determination, a real guts win, that should kick start our season now.

Thanks Piesnchess. Fantastic observation.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:10 am

Remember years ago in a Geelong premiership yr they had a game they felt was a turning point and went on better for it ....it’s called attitude
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:15 am

Was very pleased with big Mason

He is starting to get footy smarts

On two occasions goal assist,s one being a deft knock on

The other the clever nudge to give Stevo the opening

Who saw his game as real team value

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 am

Not sure if this concept has been mentioned earlier in the thread but I've been trying to understand how we could have been so awful for so long in this game just wake up with 5 minutes to go and steamroll. Listening to some words from players about the the game I have come to a conclusion. We played this game in a strategic manner to ensure we put ourselves into a tight finish just so we could practice the ability to grind a team out in the closing stages and train our ability to win a close, tight contest which has been our real achilles heal last year and this year so far. We did this against the Cats, but failed, the Tigers (sort of) and succeeded, the Eagles and failed and now the Dogs and succeeded. This makes sense, otherwise we are simply a genuine above average team.

MONCO: Your life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9   

Jump to: