Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Zoos

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When was your last Zoo visit?
1 - 6 months ago.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
The last 2 years.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
3-5 years ago.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
6-10 years ago.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:33 pm
Post subject: ZoosReply with quote

I saw a topic recently, relating to Zoos.... can't remember exactly what it was about, maybe how bad, or inhumane, or... some other offended persons word, for being offended, but anyway... zoo's.

I went to Perth Zoo today, 1st time since my daughters were little, took 2 of them and my 3 grand kids. Wow wee, boy oh boy... what a great (*&^%^& zoo!!!

The last time I'd been to any zoo, was Taronga, about 18 months ago. Perth Zoo absolutely shits all over it! The layout, the enclosures and the variety of animals is sensational.

The nocturnal enclosure was really well set out and informative, most sections were. If I could post pics of the layout and brochures. I would, but you're all capable googlers. The'Bilby', one of my fave marsupials, was on the verge of extinction, Perth Zoo, has been working on a breeding programme, that is now seeing them released into Whiteman Park, another great reserve in Perth. Plenty of work goes into protecting this sanctuary from, not only, the urban sprawl, but from cats and other predators.

If you haven't done it lately, get out and support your local Zoo, I'm sure they can use all the support they can get.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Was what you saw something about a supposedly doped-up kangaroo in a N. American zoo?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:40 pm
Post subject: Re: Zoo'sReply with quote

Skids wrote:
I saw a topic recently, relating to Zoos.... can't remember exactly what it was about, maybe how bad, or inhumane, or... some other offended persons word, for being offended, but anyway... zoo's.

I went to Perth Zoo today, 1st time since my daughters were little, took 2 of them and my 3 grand kids. Wow wee, boy oh boy... what a great (*&^%^& zoo!!!

The last time I'd been to any zoo, was Taronga, about 18 months ago. Perth Zoo absolutely shits all over it! The layout, the enclosures and the variety of animals is sensational.

The nocturnal enclosure was really well set out and informative, most sections were. If I could post pics of the layout and brochures. I would, but you're all capable googlers. The'Bilby', one of my fave marsupials, was on the verge of extinction, Perth Zoo, has been working on a breeding programme, that is now seeing them released into Whiteman Park, another great reserve in Perth. Plenty of work goes into protecting this sanctuary from, not only, the urban sprawl, but from cats and other predators.

If you haven't done it lately, get out and support your local Zoo, I'm sure they can use all the support they can get.

Is that the zoo with the massive kangaroo enclose you can walk through and feed them? That plac3 is amazing

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:43 pm

NFI as usual Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:50 pm

Morrigu wrote:

Come on Morrigu, that's harsh.

The work that people put in is amazing.

The feral cat thing here has wiped out so many native animals, it's not funny. Maybe it's not perfect... but what is?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:55 pm

I voted 3-5 years ago. I don't recall the last time I went to a proper zoo, it would be a while ago, but I've been to Hartley's Creek Crocodile farm in the past few years,
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:01 pm

Morrigu wrote:

Sorry, but I am slightly offended Morrigu.

I know you'd like it to be a different world, and believe you me, so do I!... I don't know where I got that saying from, but it just rolled off the tongue.

I hope you're being facetious, because I am being genuine in my poll.
You could possibly be a bit less hostile with your responses in future.

http://www.jamesborrell.com/8-reasons-that-zoos-are-critically-important-for-conservation/
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:06 pm

think positive wrote:
Skids wrote:

Is that the zoo with the massive kangaroo enclose you can walk through and feed them? That plac3 is amazing

It is TP! I forgot there were albino Roo's until today. Talk about a relaxed environment!
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:12 pm

Skids wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Come on Morrigu, that's harsh.

The feral cat thing here has wiped out so many native animals, it's not funny. Maybe it's not perfect... but what is?

Look if zoos conduct breeding programs that reintroduce animals to their native habitat I have no issue what so all and applaud them loudly. Feral animals are decimating native animal populations - especially feral cats and dogs and why are they so many feral cats and dogs - irresponsible, stupid, lazy fkn humans - that's why!! Evil or Very Mad

But zoos breeding animals like lions, tigers, elephants, rhino, leopard etc etc etc etc and shipping these animals around the world to breed are for profit to maximise attendance ( and as such revenue) for humans to view animals in enclosures - they are never released into the wild to live as they should - they can't be they are captive bred and wouldn't survive - it's just for human entertainment. And that not only offends me - it makes me sick!' Evil or Very Mad
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:19 pm

^

I never considered the profit element, I always just assumed that the captive breeding in zoos was a good thing to at least maintain some species threatened in the wild, and that the transfer between zoos was for genetic diversity, to avoid inbreeding.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:43 pm

^ yes Stui they indeed need to avoid inbreeding as it results in significant medical issues and cost due to the potential "loss" of animals at a young age.

Zoos without " big ticket" animals do not attract patrons and they suffer financially - it's too late now but I will link some reputable articles that support this. And sometimes they " overbreed" - and the result well easy - kill the animal - yep that's me being " offended" again!

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/conservation/the-ugly-side-to-zoos-breeding-programs-20140214-32r4h.html
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:02 am

Skids wrote:
think positive wrote:
Skids wrote:

It is TP! I forgot there were albino Roo's until today. Talk about a relaxed environment!

It’s really amazing, so much better than Melbourne zoo, the enclosures are much more animal friendly and safe, they have space. I love all the info on conservation, I love how many keepers they had to make sure the animals are treated with respect. Especially in the kangaroo and the farm animal hands on enclosures, I was a little worried, but they really keep control. We wanted to go back the last day but it was pouring rain. It actually reminded me a little of Noahs Ark in Georgia, the soavpce, the atmosphere and the attitudes. Junior and I had so so much fun there, and the ABC have shared a few of her pics on Instagram! Cheers

Ps you haven’t changed your pic, you need a hand?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:10 am

Skids wrote:

That’s the problem mate, baby steps. We would all love to fix everything with a magic wand, but it’s not going to happen, so bit by bit and education. Zoos or rescue centres done right certainly help stop species from getting wiped out. The grizzly rescue centre outside Yellowstone is one such place, just amazing, and the emphasis is on education. That’s where it starts.

Problem is people always want more, more interaction, social media doesn’t help, it’s selfie time.

I just did the OH&S to get my key for the Werribee treatment plant, they have hundreds of birds there (and no duck season!) I was really impressed, even by the instructions to avoid the tiger snakes, as even they should be allowed to live! Now I just need time to get there!

Enjoy, did you take all the grandkids?

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:49 am

Yes TP, 3 little ones. Aria really enjoyed it, the 2 boys are a bit young. They all slept really well afterwards.

Yep, having trouble changing my pic Smile

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:12 am

Back on topic...

Last visited Melbourne Zoo a few years ago. I mistakenly thought a photography class they held there was a good idea, hadn't been for years and years. All I felt was sadness.

I'm a giraffe lover, couldn't wait to see them. Got to their "enclosure" and couldn't wait to get out, would've taken them with me if I could. Walking around in a concrete prison being gawked at. Same with all the other animals.

There was no 'oh wow' feeling, just sadness, despair, emptiness and pity that this is what these beautiful creatures lives have amounted to.

Zoos make me sick. The people that don't get it are just, IMHO, bogan losers. Zoo lovers may be offended by that, but tbh, I'm offended by THEM! Whoever thinks zoos are benefiting animals need their heads examined.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: