Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rules regarding commentary on religion

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunate choice of words when talking about Islam. It's hardly a controversial view point, start here with something simple and branch out beyond The Guardian as you see fit.

https://youtu.be/I_To-cV94Bo
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:49 pm

Yeah, nah - I quite like subtle sources with, you know, written words and stuff. What’s this guy’s PhD in? - it sure as hell isn’t history.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:48 pm

Skids wrote:
Your censorship of my posts is verging on ridiculous and to be Frank, is discriminatiory of my opinions.

I post a legitimate link, to members of Islam pushing for the Rugby team, the Crusaders to change their name and mascot/logo... it gets deleted.

How about victims of the Bali bombing, or suicide bombers being offended by Essendons name?

It's a legitimate question and response, to a ridiculous demand from a cult.

Skids, your post was removed not because of the link but because of your commentary on it (suggesting that Muslims are trying to take over New Zealand) – exactly the kind of posting that this thread is about.

Also, just in case there are any misconceptions, I’m not asking you for your opinion on moderation decisions. If your post has been deleted, it’s because the moderation team considers it to be off-topic and/or in breach of the board rules. You’re welcome to discuss this via PM with a moderator or post your general observations about board policy in General Feedback, but I do ask you to respect and abide by the directives you and other posters have been given – this isn’t up for negotiation.

Thanks,
David (for BBMods)

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:14 pm

You were right I was wrong - happy to admit that!!

Last edited by Morrigu on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:07 pm

I’ll presume you either stopped reading before the last line or else have a different opinion of xenophobic dog-whistling (or what constitutes it). Either way, we don’t apologise for seeking to enforce the rules and will continue to do our best to do so fairly and consistently. (And also, please remember that backseat moderating is, itself, against the rules.)
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:54 am

Much of the legal system of HQ societies is directed towards negating two destructive social forces: the entitled thug and his well-heeled chums, and the pitchforked thug and his enraged mates. The association of average Muslims in the suburbs with Islamic extremists, a sleight-of-hand which is the staple of Islamophobia, is an act of pitchforked thuggery.

The mind might wander and even discriminate as minds do, but that doesn't mean the words and behaviour need to follow. To give in to undisciplined generalisations which damage people, despite the fact that we all err in this regard, is to give up on decency as a social objective.

Inflicting social damage on innocent folks is as defensible as punching them.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:28 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Yeah, nah - I quite like subtle sources with, you know, written words and stuff. What’s this guy’s PhD in? - it sure as hell isn’t history.

The blokes PhD is in telemarketing.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:33 pm

If anyone wants some more info on how these rules are being applied in practice, here’s an example of the kind of malicious, baseless speculation that we will not be tolerating on here:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/janelytvynenko/notre-dame-hoax-timeline

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:48 am

^ And the way this works is that there will still be half a dozen people on here who will read that and conclude that there is a mainstream media conspiracy to hide the plot to burn down the cathedral.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:36 pm

^Yes, but as a member of the liberal elite, you're just trying to take away the people's right to incite hatred and violence! If the oppressed haven't got the right to oppress others, what else have they got left?

You do wonder if this is the mental prison some people have built for themselves.

[I had followed this up with a lengthy treatise on the Darwinian inevitabilism I think is behind this mental prison, but I'll leave it for another place and time].

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:07 am

Using Religion to push an agenda such as hate is wrong. Religion as a whole is evil and what's worse is when those pushing Religions pick and choose what they want to push from their so called writings. I don't mind if you wish to push your Religion but you can't pick and choose, as my understanding it's not a smorgasbord, it's all or nothing. The world would be a better place when Religion is removed.

Israel has to remove his tattoos as far as I am concerned as The Leviticus 19:28, which says,”You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the Lord". Quote the bits and pieces he likes and ignores the rest. That's standard in all religions.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:29 pm

Many of the Pacific Islanders are Christians, they also Tattoo as a part of their culture. Straight conflict.

I agree about cherrypicking, it also shows the stupidity of anyone taking literally stuff written over 1000 years ago.

bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:25 am

In "colour revolutions", government or ngo agents plot to overthrow a regime by supporting opposition to teh govt, often puppets groomed by tose agents (EG Guaido in Venevuela).
These things happen, eg the takeover in Ukraine.
To say its unacceptable to claim that they are happening is political censorship. People should have a right to claim that any group is engaged in conspiratorial action to take over power in any country. You would say, as long as it isn't showing prejudice against an ethnic group (such as moslems, arabs, Russians etc).
if such critixism is censored then it is potentially protecting underhanded takeover plots from criticism and exposure. Since this is one of the main ways of power takeovers today (eg by US govt), this amounts to very severe and dangerous censorship.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:31 am

^ There's nothing wrong with pointing out or making arguments about any of that. Nobody's stopping you from posting about Venezuela or Ukraine. All we're asking is, just don't invoke anti-Semitic conspiracy theories along the way. It's not a high bar, and that's just the rule we've settled upon as a humble football bulletin board (and are quite comfortable with).
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:57 pm

I think those of us who voted "Jedi Knight" at the last referendum, should take the higher ground...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: