Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The ball tampering saga

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Earlier this week, respected commentator Mike Haysman told Wide World of Sports that since the Cape Town Test reverse swing has “died” in Test cricket, with teams “extremely cautious about what they can do.”

For Healy, Haysman’s comments about the death of reverse swing signal a possible shift in the dynamics of the game.

“Now that Mike hasn’t seen that happen in South Africa in the last 12 months … that’s very interesting.

“The Cape Town Test could have cleaned up the whole game!”

K 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:59 am

Quote:
“I’m a firm believer that one of the most exciting parts of Test cricket is reverse swing, and that has died. It’s simply died,” Haysman told Wide World of Sports, for an exclusive series marking 12-months since the ball-tampering scandal.

“All the teams are extremely cautious about what they can do. It does prove that some teams were perhaps not gaining reverse swing legally in the past.

“It’s something that should be encouraged somehow. I’ve spoken to teams, and captains, and they just say they’re trying to get it to swing conventionally, rather than get involved in any reverse swing controversy.”

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:44 pm

Good article on the fallout of the ball tampering saga 12 months on.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/the-12-months-that-changed-australian-cricket-forever/news-story/7c602b5a277df2e337c383b380bd7ee6

K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:06 am

Australian bowlers considered Test boycott if Warner wasn't banned

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/revealed-australian-bowlers-considered-test-boycott-if-warner-wasn-t-banned-20190328-p518m9.html

A. Wu wrote:
Multiple sources have confirmed that star bowlers Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Pat Cummins and Nathan Lyon were intending to withdraw from the fourth Test of last year's infamous series if Warner had been free to play.

Bancroft, Roberts said, had personally apologised to CA's receptionists who fielded hundreds of calls from disappointed fans last year.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:27 pm

The Secrets of Pitching’s Outlaws

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/29/sports/baseball/pitching.html

"Pitchers have used all sorts of tricks to adulterate balls and make their jobs easier. These days, though, it’s harder to create the necessary mess."

Quote:
On the bench between innings, Roe would pop a stick of Beech-Nut gum into his mouth and announce, “I’m going to get me a new batch of curveballs.” In the game, he’d spit on the meaty part of his thumb while pretending to wipe his brow. Then, while hitching his belt, he’d subtly wipe his index and middle fingers on the saliva. Two wet fingers on top, a dry thumb underneath, and Roe was ready. He compared it to squeezing a peach pit or a watermelon seed with your fingertips.

“The idea is to get part of your grip wet, and the other dry,” he said. “When the ball leaves your hand, it slips off your wet fingers and clings, just tiny-like, to the dry part of your thumb. The ball jumps on account of it. If it’s a good ’un, it drops like a dead duck just when it crosses the plate.”

The physics behind the spitball is simple enough: When the ball slides off wet fingers, it loses backspin and therefore rotates less — something like a knuckleball, which should not rotate at all, or a forkball tumbling in its final plunge.

Defacing the surface of a ball produces the same kind of effect — added movement, to the opposite side of the scuff.

Pitchers also seek ways to look natural while applying moisture or tackiness to their fingers. One former player, now a broadcaster, reached into his team’s ball bag for me and pulled out a canister of colorless Tuf-Skin, a spray that helps secure athletic tape. With one spritz of Tuf-Skin on my arm, I had an invisible island of instant tackiness for my fingers.

“I tell you what,” says one 10-year veteran, “if they could get a camera behind the dugout in Colorado, it would be like a mad scientist’s laboratory down there, people doing anything they can to find a grip.”

Most players, even hitters, tend to accept this practice. A pitch can be an instrument of destruction, after all, and a hitter would rather the pitcher know where it’s going than accidentally fire a cue ball at his head. It is a fine distinction, to be sure, but this is the logic: Tackiness helps command and finish on a pitch, and that’s O.K. Sandpaper or K-Y Jelly helps enhance movement, and that’s not.

“In the cold weather in Minnesota, you had to have something to grip the curveball,” says Jim Kaat, who starred for the Twins in the 1960s. “Pitchers for years have lobbied: If hitters can use pine tar to grip the bat better — it doesn’t help ’em hit it any farther — we should be able to use pine tar.”

Then again, it comes back to discretion: In 2014, when the Yankees’ Michael Pineda brazenly smeared pine tar on his neck on a chilly night at Fenway Park, it was so overt that the Red Sox felt compelled to object. Pineda got a 10-game suspension and widespread ridicule. But generally, as long as a pitcher is discreet, the other side has no problem with pine tar.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:50 pm

Bowlers rubbish media report

Aussie bowlers dismiss reports they intended to withdraw from the fourth and final Test in South Africa if David Warner played

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/australia-statement-fourth-test-johannesburg-starc-hazlewood-lyon-cummins-smith-warner/2019-03-31

Quote:
"We are extremely disappointed in an article which was first published across Fairfax platforms on March 29, 2019," the statement attributed to all four bowlers read.

"The article claims we intended to withdraw from the fourth Test during last year’s tour of South Africa had David Warner been free to play.

"This claim is disappointing on a number of fronts but most importantly because it is false.

"False claims circulated in the media, such as these, which question our relationship with David are inflammatory and misleading.

"As a team we are all focused on moving forward together and helping the Australian Men’s team prepare for the World Cup and the Ashes."

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:29 am

'It depends on Mother Nature': Reverse-swing could decide the Ashes

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/it-depends-on-mother-nature-reverse-swing-could-decide-the-ashes-20190402-p519ua.html

[Comment: I'm amazed Forsaith mentions reverse swing in the 2005 Ashes without mentioning that England tampered with the ball the whole series. Irresponsible journalism. I mean, you don't need to talk about Michael Vaughan's cheating in every single article you write on reverse swing or ball tampering, but if you choose to talk about "Simon Jones and Andrew Flintoff's mastery of the art" in the 2005 series, then you really should give the context of that "mastery".]
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:39 pm

Cameron Bancroft 'is a different person now' - Marcus North on Durham captaincy call

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/26418113/cameron-bancroft-different-person-now-marcus-north-durham-captaincy-call

Quote:
"I liken him to a fellow Western Australian is the guy we used to call 'Mr Cricket', Michael Hussey."

North said: "The club is in a position where there were probably five senior players who were all very much thought about in succession planning - Paul Collingwood, Keaton Jennings, Paul Coughlin, Mark Stoneman and Graham Onions...all guys you would naturally see as captains. Take those players out in a very short period of time and where are we with our leadership team?"

Quote:

England quick Mark Wood admitted his initial surprise at Cameron Bancroft's elevation to the Durham captaincy had turned into the belief that it was "a good appointment".

[Comment: If I were Mike Hussey, I'd feel insulted.]
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:09 am

So, in: Warner, Smith. Out: Further international whining about the ball-tampering thing.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:09 pm

Ball-tampering investigation a whitewash - Wisden editor

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/26484973/ball-tampering-investigation-whitewash-wisden-editor

Quote:

The editor of the Wisden Almanack, Lawrence Booth, ...

The comments, part of the traditional Notes by the Editor, in the 156th edition of the Almanack which was published on Wednesday...

"An inquiry by Cricket Australia felt more like a whitewash: there had been no previous tampering, and only three players were involved," Booth writes. "Fancy that…The outrage was disproportionate: fiddling with the ball, if not rubbing it with sandpaper, happens.

"But there was more to it than outrage. Australia had been undone by the hubris-nemesis one-two, which has kept playwrights in business since Ancient Greece.

"With their prattle about the line - where it should be drawn (just beyond whatever the Australians had just done) and by whom (the Australians, naturally) - Smith's side forfeited the last drop of goodwill. This wasn't just English tittering: many of their compatriots were sick of them too. To cheat so brazenly confirmed a widely held suspicion: Australia believed they were above the law."

[Comment: If this really was a one-off (which many don't believe), the motivation was much more likely not to be thinking they were above the law but thinking that others (e.g. de Kock and Rabada, both of whom did not deserve to have been eligible to play in that Test) were getting away with breaking the law. This tit for tat was what motivated NZ to tamper with the ball many years ago against Pakistan, when the umpires refused to do anything.]
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:49 pm

Smith, Warner bans were far too lenient: Ambrose

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/smith-warner-bans-were-far-too-lenient-ambrose-20190411-p51d5q.html

Quote:
"When you break the law like that you should be punished," Ambrose said on Fox Sports.

"I honestly thought they got away with murder. A year was a little bit [lenient]. I would have said two years just to send a message because it was stupid really."

[Comment: if they got away with murder, what does that make someone like Michael Vaughan? A serial killer?]
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:41 pm

Let us not forget Sarfaz Narwaz suddenly moving the ball alarmingly and taking 7-1 after apparently using a bottle top to scuff the ball.

Fred Trueman and Nugget Miller gad brylcreem in the hair.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:33 am

'Living in the past is unhealthy'

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/living-in-the-past-is-unhealthy-bancroft-ready-for-english-boos-20190411-p51d27.html

Quote:
Asked whether he had a message for Durham's fans, he added: "I'm Cameron, I play cricket, I made a really poor mistake last year and I'm very sorry for that. I look forward to saying 'G'day', shaking your hand and signing all your stuff."

[Comment: that's better.]
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:14 pm

Steve Smith appointed skipper of Rajasthan Royals in IPL

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/steve-smith-appointed-skipper-of-rajasthan-royals-in-ipl-20190420-p51fvv.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/26564605/steven-smith-replaces-ajinkya-rahane-captain-rajasthan-royals-look-fresh-approach

Quote:
This will be the second time Smith will take up leadership duties following the ban, having led Comilla Victorians in the Bangladesh Premier League earlier this year.

The development might not have come entirely as a surprise to Rahane as insiders reveal Smith had been quietly taking charge of the field placements in their last few matches.

Shocked
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:06 am

The ugly Australian: the evolution of a cricket species

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1181098/the-ugly-australian--the-evolution-of-a-cricket-species

Jarrod Kimber

[Comment: Kimber mixes together different topics and doesn't acknowledge the distinction between them or argue why he thinks they might be related (e.g. racism and ball tampering are not the same topic).]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 21 of 24   

Jump to: