Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Women in sport

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Woods wrote:
think positive wrote:
But you ain’t never giving birth! Or doing more than one thing at a time! Twisted Evil

Childbirth! De Goey just rolled his ankle and you want talk about childbirth! Get some perspective woman!

I’ll tell you what he went down like he was shot, I didn’t sook that much! Pass him the gas, stat!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:06 pm

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:

But you ain’t never giving birth! Or doing more than one thing at a time! Twisted Evil

I had an abdominal ultrasound today. I asked the radiographer if she could tell the sex of the baby, she laughed and said neither of us were making money that way today.

She did find 2 small hernias though. I'll have to wait til I see the GP to know what that means.

As far as the myth that men can't multitask, I'm as capable as any woman of doing multiple things badly at once. In the evenings I can watch TV while using the PC with multiple browser tabs open, drink red wine, smoke cigarettes and fart.

Beat that for multitasking. Razz

I knew you would bite ..... again! Laughing Laughing Laughing

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:56 pm

Article in todays Herald Sun about equal pay for female athletes.

Quote:
Our top female sports players win Olympic gold medals, world titles and international championships. Every week thousands of fans watch them play our favourite sports.

Yet many elite female players can’t train every day because they’re too busy earning a living. As Carlton AFLW star Darcy Vescio says: “We’re not at our clubs every day fine tuning our craft … We’re at school educating your kids, landscaping your gardens, processing your insurance claims and flipping your burgers,” she told the Herald Sun recently.

Despite captaining the gold-medal-winning 2016 Rio Olympics team, rugby union player Sharni Williams works as a gym trainer to help pay the bills and other well-known AFLW stars are dairy farmers, posties, landscape gardeners and brickies. It’s the same in most other sports.

Well, you can’t live on the $13,400 base salary the AFL players are paid, can you? It’s barely enough to buy a car, let alone raise a family. Compare that to male AFL players on their $350,000 base salaries.

That is why a commitment to change the way professional athletes are paid in the AFL, NRL and the Football Federation Australia is so important. The new approach, outlined in a report by the Male Champions of Change group, establishes a baseline of gender pay parity. It affirms what the rest of us have known for decades: that female and male athletes should be paid the same wage for doing the same job.

They should have access to fair and reasonable base pay reflecting their status as peak athletes and they should have proper accommodation, training, clothing and equipment in their remuneration package.

The report makes sobering reading, detailing lower pay and worse facilities for female players. They’re the ones slumming it in economy while their male peers are in business or first class.

Sporting clubs are a workplace like any other: no longer should clubs get away with one rule for males and another for females. It’s unAustralian and isn’t an appropriate way to treat those representing our country.

Pay rates in other sports that have already made this commitment to equality show base level parity is an important first step, but more will need to be done.

For instance, the best female cricketers received a recent pay increase of $100,000 which see international cricketers earning an average of $210,000, and superstars like Meg Lanning and Ellyse Perry more than $300,000.

Big Bash salaries for women have also increased from $22,000 to $52,000. It’s still not a living wage, but it’s a start.

The best female cricketers, such as Ellyse Perry, received a recent pay increase of $100,000.
Much of this has flowed from a promise to gender equity introduced about seven years ago by Cricket Australia. But the blokes still earn a lot more; state and BBL cricketers set to pocket $235,000 by 2021. International male cricketers earn more than $2m in a season from retainers, prize money, tours and match fees — and that doesn’t include endorsements.

Establishing a base rate of pay and equal prize money is just the first step. The report shows codes need to go further and foster new talent, maximise publicity, boost commercial incentives and provide equal support and facilities.

Let’s not forget women’s sport is coming off a very low base. The women’s rugby league team, the Jillaroos, were first paid to play in 2014, when they got $500 a match; the national men’s team received $20,000 per match.

Female soccer players also have a long way to go. A new agreement in 2017 paid a minimum of $12,200 for the 2018-19 season, which was a huge increase, but still too low to make a real difference. But at least the highest-paid players now earn more than $130,000 through the Westfield W-League, overseas leagues and the Matildas.

Again, it pales into insignificance against what male soccer players earn. The Socceroos got $300,000 to tie on their boots in Russia for the World Cup and Tim Cahill could earn more in a day ($27,000) than the Matilda’s co-captain in a year.

As Sam Kerr from the Matildas sees it, it’s not about raking in millions, but justifying the physical demands of the job. These women are playing professional sports at the highest level and deserve to be paid accordingly. Investment in women’s sport will raise standards, lift crowd numbers and increase sponsorship. It’s a win all round.

The report also details the need for more flexible work contracts and more women in senior corporate and administrative roles. Let’s hope the clubs, who will self-assess against 15 measures each year to track their progress, will make their annual reports public.

Such gaps should be closed within five years and if codes or clubs continue not to do enough, they should be penalised with a loss of government funding.

While there will always be some discrepancies in sport because of the impact of TV rights and sponsorship money benefiting certain codes, clubs and players, the base level should be the same.

Why should another generation of Australian girls grow up as second-class citizens?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/susie-obrien/sport-gender-pay-equality-long-overdue/news-story/06f577edd97393080de10252a3069850

My opinion, nice theory, practice will take time, if it ever gets there without the male players subsidising the females.

Take out the Olympics and individual sports and go to team sports like Cricket, Soccer, AFL, NRL. Where does the money come from?

Generally it will come from gate receipts, sponsorship, media rights and in AFL to a degree memberships. All of the first 3 rely on having a product that people want to watch to generate income. Unlike normal men and women in a workplace where the remuneration is tied to the job and so men and women should be paid the same, sport is different.

Womens tennis has a different controlling body than mens. The Grand Slams have settled on equal pay, but across the rest of the tour it's all over the place. Unless womans sports are played in combination with mens like at the Olympics or Tennis, the audience just isn't there to attract enough money to pay them equally.

Male Cricket players can pick up a $mil for a few weeks in the IPL because the product brings in cash. That's basic supply and demand. Good luck trying to get the same money for a female version.

Womens cricket and AFL both benefit from being under the same controlling entity as the mens version, which subsidises what they get paid and provides them with TV coverage and publicity they just wouldn't get if they were stand alone, like Netball who's had to fight the fight on their own.

For mine the equal pay argument is a classic example of when idealism is fine until it has a head on crash with the brick wall called reality.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:10 pm

The reality is, it's not supported by the viewing public, and it never will be.

We want to watch the best, we pay to watch the best. How can you pay someone the same, who doesn't perform the same Confused

I wouldn't pay a dollar to watch women play; Aussie rules, Rugby league or Baseball. Actually, I wouldn't pay a dollar to watch a woman do anything! That's just the way things are.

Geez, where did all this 'equality' crap come from? I know that sounds bad, but it's not meant to be derogatory, it's just a fact.

I love women! They are absolutely beautiful creatures... they're just not that good at sport. Why should it be a crime to state the obvious?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:15 pm

That is a good epistemological question.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:06 am

The only sport that men and women get the same is horse racing where woman compete against men. Or in some sports that have mixed teams like tennis and badminton etc. The womens aflw does not play enough games to even contemplate equal pay. If for some reason they force clubs to pay 350000 for each player you can guarantee half the clubs would fold. Or the clubs would simply not have a womens team. If they started charging 30 bucks to go to a womens game they would not make enough to buy oranges. Tell em there dreaming.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:38 am

ronrat wrote:
The only sport that men and women get the same is horse racing where woman compete against men. Or in some sports that have mixed teams like tennis and badminton etc. The womens aflw does not play enough games to even contemplate equal pay. If for some reason they force clubs to pay 350000 for each player you can guarantee half the clubs would fold. Or the clubs would simply not have a womens team. If they started charging 30 bucks to go to a womens game they would not make enough to buy oranges. Tell em there dreaming.

Ah yes, thanks ronrat, how did one of my favourite interests slip my mind?

Very competitive in the saddle. This is mainly due to the ability to weigh in lighter I would think. Top male jocks find it hard, if not impossible to tip the scales at anything under 50kg.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2378023117712599

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:43 pm

Skids wrote:

We want to watch the best, we pay to watch the best. How can you pay someone the same, who doesn't perform the same Confused

I wouldn't pay a dollar to watch women play; Aussie rules, Rugby league or Baseball. Actually, I wouldn't pay a dollar to watch a woman do anything! That's just the way things are.

Geez, where did all this 'equality' crap come from? I know that sounds bad, but it's not meant to be derogatory, it's just a fact.

I love women! They are absolutely beautiful creatures... they're just not that good at sport. Why should it be a crime to state the obvious?

never been to king st??

HAL 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 pm

That is a good epistemological question.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:56 pm

When John Berger wrote that "men act and women appear", he might well have had Skids in mind...
HAL 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:57 pm

Time does not exist.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:50 pm

Berger had something interesting to say about that too, interestingly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USzGCdoLhjQ

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:31 pm

think positive wrote:
Skids wrote:

never been to king st??

Laughing Laughing Laughing Confused Embarassed

HAL 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:34 pm

Oops. Too much data.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:44 pm

think positive wrote:
Skids wrote:

never been to king st??

Nope, and even if I had, I wouldn't pay to watch a woman do anything. Never have (çept for the races) and never will.

That old video was absolutely enthralling David... I watched about 10 minutes and thought, wtf am I doing, you are one strange cat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: