Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale Gordon Banks

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:49 am
Post subject: Vale Gordon BanksReply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/12/gordon-banks-dies-world-cup-winner-england-1966-goalkeeper

"He won Fifa’s goalkeeper of the year award on six occasions, and was voted Footballer of the Year in 1972 – the year his semi-final penalty save against West Ham helped Stoke win the League Cup – becoming the first goalkeeper to receive the honour since Manchester City’s Bert Trautmann in 1956. Banks described beating Chelsea in the League Cup final as his proudest moment in club football."

"Leading the English tributes, fellow World Cup winner Sir Bobby Charlton said: “Gordon was a fantastic goalkeeper, without doubt one of the best England had ever had, I was proud to call him a teammate and he will be deeply missed. Obviously we shared that great day in 1966 but it was more than that. Even though I was on the pitch and have seen it many times since, I still don’t know how he saved that header from Pelé.”

Nearly 49 years later, Pelé remains equally baffled. “As a footballer you know straightaway how well you have hit the ball,” the Brazilian said. “I had hit that header exactly as as I had hoped, put it exactly where I wanted it to go, and I was ready to celebrate. But then Banks appeared in my sight like a blue phantom and somehow pushed my header up and over. Even now when I watch it I can’t believe it, I can’t believe how he moved so far, so fast. The save was one of the best I have ever seen. Rest in peace my friend, you were a goalkeeper with magic but also a fine human being.”

Ray Clemence, who with Peter Shilton took over England goalkeeping duties when Banks retired, said receiving help and advice from a personal hero had been invaluable. “Gordon made it look easy, and everybody who has played the position knows it is not,” the former Liverpool and Tottenham player said. “He was the greatest goalkeeper England have had and when Peter and I followed him he was always willing to talk to us.”"
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

England's greatest GK.

Vale Gordon Banks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: