Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

NFL 2018

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a breathtakingly good game, too. The only way the Pats were going to win was by keeping Mahomes from getting his hands on the ball in overtime. Brady (with some ridiculous help from Edelman and Gronkowski with their clutch catches on the final drive and winning the overtime toss) did exactly that.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:01 pm

Brady the GOAT is off to his 18756th super bowl appearance
They went to arrowhead and took the favourite with there young gun Mahomes
There now up against Goff and the Rams who were very lucky to get past Bree's and the saints after one of the worst no calls in NFL history on a 3rd and 10 which would have put them inside the red zone
4th February Brady looks to add to his already imposing resume the likes of which won't be seen again
How can you tip against the GOAT and co
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:55 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
... the Rams who were very lucky to get past Bree's and the saints after one of the worst no calls in NFL history on a 3rd and 10 which would have put them inside the red zone

How did this happen? I mean, what are the rules re. video review, etc.?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:10 pm

K wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
... the Rams who were very lucky to get past Bree's and the saints after one of the worst no calls in NFL history on a 3rd and 10 which would have put them inside the red zone

How did this happen? I mean, what are the rules re. video review, etc.?

https://youtu.be/EIrGoy4CC5Q

Ok that's the YouTube link

My understanding there isn't a rule in place to review such missed calls (compared to just about every other rule that can be reviewed in the game)
This is a game that's played over 4x 15 minute quarters that takes around 2.5 hours to complete so there's more stoppages than actual game time really
Hope the video helps explain it better than me K
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:05 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000910340/article/alltime-super-bowl-qb-rankings-tom-brady-tops-61man-list

The top rank summary is:

"G.O.A.T. pasture

1) Tom Brady (Super Bowl record: 5-3 with Patriots)

2) Johnny Unitas (1-0 with Colts)

3) Joe Montana (4-0 with 49ers)

4) Peyton Manning (1-1 with Colts; 1-1 with Broncos)

5) Dan Marino (0-1 with Dolphins)

6) Brett Favre (1-1 with Packers)"
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:34 pm

Brady's 9th super bowl appearance
3rd in a row and 4th in 5 years
He's says he will play another 4 seasons so on the current rate would mean around 2-3 more Super Bowls
I've done the numbers and Rodgers would have to play injury free until his 747th birthday to reach the same stats Brady will reach by 45
Sort of puts it into prospective how far in front of every other QB past and present he is
Be it the system or the player or a combination of both its a record that will never be matched
On a side not Brady isn't in the top 10 paid QB's in the game
The highest 4 paid QB's didn't make divisional play offs
Says something about a player willing to sacrifice some of his own money to keep guys around him to achieve success
In the high paid US system this is a rare commodity
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:04 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
My understanding there isn't a rule in place to review such missed calls ...
Hope the video helps explain it better than me K

Thanks, QM.

Update:

Roger Goodell: "We will look again at instant replay. It does not cover judgment calls, this was a judgment call.

"The other complication is that it was a no-call and there has not been support to date about having a replay official or somebody in New York throw a [penalty] flag when there is no flag.

"They have not voted for that in the past. It doesn't mean that we won't, it's something that we are going to put to the competition committee and see if there is an answer to that."
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:17 am

K wrote:
On the dark side of NFL:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/18/opinion/tom-brady-nfl-concussion.html

This is not the only gloomy NFL topic in the NY Times in recent days:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/sports/football/the-nfls-obesity-scourge.html

Oh, and opioid addiction too...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/02/sports/nfl-opioids-.html

"A study published last year in the Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine found that 26.2 percent of retired players said they had used prescription opioids within the past 30 days. Nearly half of those players said they did not use them as prescribed.

Seven percent of retired players — equal to about 1,500 men — said they had misused painkillers in the past month, according to a study conducted in 2011 by researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. That was more than three times the national rate for adults 26 and older at the time. Seventy-one percent of those surveyed had misused drugs during their N.F.L. careers, and some of them continued to do so after they left the league, the study found. Players who abused opioids in retirement were also more likely to be heavy drinkers.

Asked what the N.F.L. was doing to reduce the reliance on highly addictive painkillers, Roger Goodell, its commissioner, said the league’s executives were consulting with pain management experts and seeking recommendations.

What Goodell did not say is that the distribution of drugs by team doctors and medical professionals has come under repeated scrutiny from federal regulators. It is also central to at least two active lawsuits brought by former players who accuse N.F.L. teams of, among other things, not warning them about the destructiveness of the painkillers they were given.

In 2017, the N.F.L. Players Association filed a grievance against the league for overprescribing painkillers, not keeping accurate records of the drugs that teams distributed and denying the union's medical director access to meetings and documents relevant to the distribution of painkillers. The two sides are locked in arbitration."
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:31 am

K
The NFL is a different beast really to how we understand sport
Private ownership on the majority of teams by rich individuals governs how they handle things
There are some teams who the owners use it as a vessel to make more money spending the absolute minimum they can and receiving maximum revenue
The NFL owners hand pick the commissioner and basically he is there public voice
They keep the players and players union under the thumb as much as possible
The Nextel broadcast deal is ready to be negotiated and already the game is getting set for lock outs again
The owners will lock the players out denying them a living unless they agree to the terms the owners want
See the owners actually save money by not having the players play
There will be a fight and the owners will want to players union to agree to terms that will limit any former players on making further claims against the league for drug abuse like they did with the head trauma issue
These owners are powerful men and have in the past used congress to press home there rules
Unlike here were players have decent rights the NFL view them as pawns to make money and they are very replaceable
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:28 pm

Mahomes named NFL MVP and Offensive Player of the Year. 41 votes, Brees second on 9. Brady not in the hunt.

Donald (of the Rams) named Defensive Player of the Year for the second year running. Khalil Mack came second.

Nagy (Chicago) named Coach of the Year. You’d think that might have been called a day early, especially if BB wins his 6th Super Bowl without an adequate QB.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:05 pm

Pats win there 6th super bowl in the Brady era
He's now the undisputed GOAT
Belichick in his presser says
Brady isn't just the greatest QB of all time he's the greatest player the game has seen period. This franchise wouldn't have won 6 Super Bowls without him
He's been the most valuable player in each and every game we played through this post season
We the coaches devise a plan but a plan is no good without the players to make it happen and Brady is man that leads that on the field
I've been lucky to be on this ride with him and enjoy the success along side him that he's brought to this franchise

Robert Kraft the owner of the Pats says
To has been like a son to me. He has done everything in the game and then some. There can never be a argument that he's the greatest player in NFL history. Earlier this year you guys in the press said I made a bad decision backing Tom over Bill's plan to move on from him with jimmy but I knew Tom would deliver us the prize again as he had 5 times previously
When I made the decision to step in and ensure Tom was our QB going forward I knew it may cost be a coach and GM but that was the risk I was prepared to take. Bill understood my position and told him at the time he was free to go if he couldn't live with my decision. To his credit he stayed and now Tom has delivered him and our team another super bowl
We couldn't be more happy with the outcome
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:52 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Robert Kraft the owner of the Pats says
When I made the decision to step in and ensure Tom was our QB going forward I knew it may cost be a coach and GM but that was the risk I was prepared to take. Bill understood my position and told him at the time he was free to go if he couldn't live with my decision. ...

Quite amazing, actually, from a non-US perspective, to have an owner exert such power over football decisions. (Let's hope our Board doesn't follow US sport. Wink )

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pats win their 6th super bowl in the Brady era
He's now the undisputed GOAT ...

'[Qaadir Mlatamo] was wearing a T-shirt. On the front: “TOM F…KIN BRADY”. On the back: “BITCH I’M THE GOAT”.

So he’s a Patriot fan?

“Hell no,” he sniffs. “I’m from New York. I just like the shirt.” '

Will we ever see a Carlton fan wearing a "NATHAN F...KIN BUCKLEY" t-shirt?

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Unlike here were players have decent rights the NFL view them as pawns to make money and they are very replaceable

From the NY Times:

'The presence of the civil rights leaders did not seem to win over supporters of the player, Colin Kaepernick...

Even before the game, many resolved not to watch, including the film director Ava DuVernay, who accused the N.F.L. of “racist treatment of @Kaepernick7” and lamented an “ongoing disregard for the health + well-being of players.”

And the presence of the civil rights leaders was met with confusion, and in some cases derision, by those who feel Kaepernick has been blackballed.

Yet the overture spoke to an effort by the N.F.L. to thread the needle between appeasing conservative fans — there were military flyovers and giant flags and shout-outs to war veterans — and addressing the questions and criticism it has received over racial issues.

In the coming months, Kaepernick’s grievance accusing the league of colluding to keep him off a team will be ruled on by an arbitrator hearing the case.

Win or lose, the league could find itself on the defensive among fans it has been courting with its civil rights overtures.

If the league wins its case, supporters of Kaepernick may doubt the outcome — a string of lesser quarterbacks statistically have found teams. If the league loses, a conventional wisdom would be validated and the league would be in the embarrassing position of paying millions dollars to a player who has not suited up since 2016.'

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/04/sports/football/super-bowl-colin-kaepernick.html

From a non-US perspective, the extreme linking of military and sport is also quite amazing.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:37 am

K the owners of NFL teams can be different beasts
Robert Kraft is a good owner he's built a great franchise that was once before he owned it was considered the worst franchise in American sport
Jerry jones who owns the Dallas Cowboys has been known to call the coach during a break and give them coaching advice
He's also been known to wander the sidelines during games and speak to players directly
What Kraft did was stop what he believed would hurt his brand
The coach who is also the GM is forward planning and had a opinion that Brady was cooked. The owner didn't believe it
Brady was out suspended for 4 games and they went 3-1 and the coach seemed to think that was enough evidence that he had a replacement ready to go
The owner stepped in traded away the other QB who is know at San Fransisco on a long term mega deal and out with a ACL
Since he left the Pats he's 6-9 hardly the state of the next big thing
Brady is 41 and the coach may have been right history says no QB plays on successfully into there 40's it has never happened
Brady however is a different kettle of fish
He threw for 270 yards yesterday more yards than the entire Rams team gained in total offence for the game (they had averaged over 430 yards of offence per game during the season)
The Rams had 2 of the best defensive players in the game but still Brady found a way to get the throws away on time and accurately
Eddlemam who won the MVP had 14 catches for 141 yards and every pass was exactly where it needed to be for him to catch
Bray has now played in 17% of all Super Bowls played in history
He has more post season wins (30) than any other franchise
His records are too many to mention but there is no doubt in anyone's mind he's the GOAT every commentator and expert has stated such
If struggling franchises like the packers could find a quarter back with half as much talent of Brady they might finally have success
K 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:21 am

A (conservative, Catholic) NY Times (non-sports) columnist writes:

How I Learned to Love the Patriots (Again)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/05/opinion/super-bowl-new-england-patriots.html

"This combination of Red Sox tragedy and Patriot futility defined my relationship to professional sports until adulthood, at which point ... absolutely everything changed for both teams and they became insufferably dominant.

And trying to raise my children to be New England sports fans in an age of constant New England winning has given me real sympathy with the lukewarmly religious, the Christmas-and-Easter sort of believer who wants to impart some measure of piety to their children without really experiencing the flame of faith themselves.

But the frequent triumphs of the Sox and Pats have been crucial to my loss of ardor. In the old days I was always mystified about how Yankee fans stirred up the same excitement year after year despite their constant winning, and as my teams became increasingly Yankee-like the mystification remained.

And now that the Patriots have ground their way, in a terrible-to-watch game highlighted by punts, to yet another Super Bowl victory, I want to report a change in my sports psychology. In my dutiful connection to the latest run of Patriot Super Bowl appearances, I have begun to feel something different, strange and unfamiliar — not a recovery of the old romance, but a growing appreciation of pure, ruthless effectiveness, an admiration for iron efficiency, a joy at the dismantling of highly touted rivals, a feeling that almost … almost … makes me begin to have a trace of a scintilla of understanding for what it feels like to be a Yankees fan.

I say this as someone who feels no particularly personal sympathy or affection for the two men, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady, who have delivered the Patriots their extraordinary dynasty. Belichick is an unpleasant perfectionist whose cultivated public misanthropy and “look at me, a slob” outfits often seem like an irritating sort of performance art. Brady preferred the supermodel charms of Gisele Bündchen to Bridget Moynahan, the nice Catholic ex-girlfriend (I saw them at Mass together once, so I'm totally in her camp) who was carrying his child — and then succumbed, via Gisele, to a pro-athlete equivalent of the Gwyneth Paltrow-Goop worldview.

And without delving into the arcana of Deflategate, it’s obvious that the Patriots’ search for a competitive edge has taken them to at least the edge of, you know, cheating.

So the old fake-personal bond that I felt for my flawed New England heroes — Yaz! Nomah! Bledsoe! — isn’t there with Brady and Belichick today. What is there, and increasingly as their dynasty has become more improbably extended, is something very different: a zest for on-field excellence simply for its own sake, a forgiveness of personal and even moral deficiencies because the record speaks for itself, a setting aside of feel-good narratives and romantic underdog stories because the sheer force of winning trumps them all.

The point, the point, is that I am a changed fan, or at least a changing one. With every Patriot victory, I am winning the victory over myself. I am shedding old habits, jettisoning the underdoggery and romance of my childhood, learning to love dynastic rule."
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:24 am

Bledsoe? Fine player, back when BB was just a defensive assistant to Bill Parcells at the Pats and the halftime entertainment could sing and play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY827bamAH4

The game was OK, too. The Minister of Defense. And the actual GOAT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k6NPt7gnGQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: