Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rate the crossbenchers

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just search Lambie and this came up, anyway, she’s on I’m a celebrity get me out of here (never watched it I was flicking) she’s quite entertaining, dermie is on too!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:03 am

Not to blow my own trumpet, but... I kind of called it.

David (on 8/11/2016) wrote:
Roberts and Culleton are absolute nutcases. I'm kind of worried we haven't heard much from Brian Burston yet. Perhaps they're saving their best for last?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/14/brian-burston-to-take-out-restraining-order-against-pauline-hanson-staffer-after-altercation

Quote:
Pauline Hanson’s senior adviser James Ashby has had his parliamentary pass revoked by the Senate president following an altercation with former One Nation senator Brian Burston.

Burston has vowed to refer the incident on Wednesday evening at Parliament House to the police and to seek a restraining order against Ashby but also offered an apology for smearing blood on the door of Hanson’s office that evening.

Burston and Hanson have been locked in combat over her decision to air allegations that he sexually harassed a former staffer, prompting him to retaliate by accusing the One Nation leader of making two unwelcome advances towards him.

The ill-will between the pair – which prompted Burston to split from the party last year – appeared to boil over on Wednesday night, when Burston was involved in a physical altercation with Ashby after they were seated at the same table at the Minerals Council dinner.

Video recordings and images show Burston and Ashby tussling outside the Great Hall.

[...]

Following the president’s remarks in the Senate, Burston stood and said: “Whilst I do not recall the incident of blood on the door I now have come to the conclusion that it was myself and I sincerely apologise for that action.”

In an earlier statement Burston’s wife Rosalyn said they were surprised to be seated with Ashby at a dinner function in parliament. Ashby left the table half an hour earlier to “deliberately ambush” the pair as they left, she said.

Burston “threw his arms at an object in self-defence” when Ashby “pounced” on them, she said.

Burston’s new party leader, Clive Palmer, has also stood by the senator, accusing One Nation of “cheap tricks”.

“From day one when Senator Burston announced he was joining the United Australia Party he has been attacked and vilified,” Palmer said.

On Thursday, Burston announced he was referring the matter to police and had sought a restraining order against Ashby, accusing him of “repeated acts of harassment and aggression”.

His office issued a statement saying the vision in public circulation did not show the entire incident.

Ashby was approached for a response. Burston also denied all allegations against him and said: “It is clear that James Ashby has set up Senator Burston to look badly for political purpose, all in breach of parliamentary rules.”

This week’s turmoil began when Hanson made a speech about an unnamed senator in the Senate on Tuesday night, using parliamentary privilege to say that the senator had engaged in “serious sexual harassment”.

A copy of a complaint by a former Burston staffer late last year, obtained by Guardian Australia, showed a woman had accused him of sexual harassment. She said she had been distressed by an office incident and Burston had offered to “‘****’ me to make things better”.

“I refused his approach, but inside my world shattered,” she said.

Burston initially declined to comment on the allegations when approached by Guardian Australia. His staff were subsequently responding to Guardian Australia’s questions when Burston interjected, describing the allegations as “garbage” and “all bullshit”.

A spokeswoman said Burston would not say the word “****”, something with which his wife, Rosalyn, agreed.

“My husband never says ****,” she told Guardian Australia.

Later on Wednesday night, News Corp reported that Burston had said “**** you” to a reporter. Of the altercation with Ashby, Burston told News Corp, “I told him to **** off. I lost it.”

Burston has also promised to retaliate against Hanson and fellow One Nation senator, Peter Georgiou, in a speech in the Senate on Thursday evening.

He earlier described Hanson as a “woman scorned” and accused her of two unwelcome advances.

Hanson laughed off the allegations.

“I’m 64 … but I tell you what, I’m not that desperate,” she told Sky News.

One Nation’s contributions to Australian political life have been truly edifying.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:14 pm

With David Leyonhjelm’s (perhaps ill-advised) decision to resign and contest the NSW election, we have yet another crossbench changeover – Lib Dem party founder Duncan Spender has taken his seat, and might yet turn out to be one of the briefest-serving senators ever:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/chief-of-staff-lands-former-senator-s-job

This is the seventh departure from the eleven elected to the non-Greens crossbench in 2016. Only Hanson, Hinch, Burston and Stirling Griff have served their full terms, and a further five (Burston and four replacements) have changed parties.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: