Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Aussie Goverment wanting to Take Over the Internet

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
That wasn't about censoring the internet, it was about the government pushing social media to be harder on basically online bullying.

Fair Enough but what I heard they can Access people's Accounts without even getting a Report about a Post.

That could be Abused by the Wrong People

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:16 pm

I try to answer as precisely as possible.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:53 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
That wasn't about censoring the internet, it was about the government pushing social media to be harder on basically online bullying.

Fair Enough but what I heard they can Access people's Accounts without even getting a Report about a Post.

That could be Abused by the Wrong People

That would be worrying if so, but I haven't heard anything about that. Read a thing about it in the Herald Sun tonight and, while it always pays to be cautious – and sometimes the most alarming government intrusions are hidden in the most benign language – I really don't see that there's much of an issue with what's being proposed so far.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:30 pm

The old, "If you are not doing anything wrong then you shouldn't worry" Just doesn't cut it. The current Government plans to spy on all Australians. Apathetic Australians just love being screwed.

https://signal.org/blog/setback-in-the-outback/
K 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:09 pm

It reminds me of the e-health record, or whatever they call it, where the government said it'd change the laws so that police could not just idly look up citizens' records, thereby unrepentantly revealing that under the current laws the police can do precisely that. (Another example where apathy is incredibly dangerous.)
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:39 pm

^

I've got the e-health record. If I end up in hospital I want them to be able to access my medical history quick and easy.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:48 pm

I keep my record in a bionic chip implanted in my arm.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:38 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

I've got the e-health record. If I end up in hospital I want them to be able to access my medical history quick and easy.
Unless your record gets hacked and the information is replaced with information that may kill you. The e-health record has more holes than Swiss cheese. That's the issue with the e-health system.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:22 am

Yeah, that would be bad. A foreign PM's e-health record got hacked... but presumably just exposed, not maliciously altered.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:43 pm

When I am on the Defence Network there are many sites that are blocked for security reasons. My Health is one site. Just saying Razz
K 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:59 pm

But not Nick's BB?? Wink
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Culprit wrote:
When I am on the Defence Network there are many sites that are blocked for security reasons. My Health is one site. Just saying Razz

Did you try a VPN Wink

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:45 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Did you try a VPN Wink

Nearly spilt my cornflakes. You can't use a VPN on a network you do not control.
Many of these sites are not blocked for security but because folks military and civilian spent too much time on them instead of working. Ebay was one example.

I had 2 examples in Defence were the It idjist got it clearly wrong. If you needed a website yiu had to get it approved by a business case by a one star. They are hard to find unless in Canberra. I was in an evaluation team and we were looking at a weapons for the special forces. The US arms manufacturer Colt through an agent submitted a bid. A lot of the details were on their website and they told us the link. And gave us a key. So I typed it in went for it and got blocked as it was "Violent . So I rang the IT police and asked why a Department that had 100,000 weapons would be banned from a gun manufacturer. Policy blah blah blah, gret a business case. So I did. Take it to the Brigadier and he is not impressed. Rings Canberra and talks to another one star and he says "Why I am wasting my bloody time reading and signing these things. As stated by the person who wasted an hour preparing this and is trying to evaluate a piece of equipment we are in the business of state controlled violence" By the time I got back to my desk it was lifted.

I also got blocked from the quit site because it involved drugs. That one was easy. I emailed my local MP who got up in parliament and said "Are the Ministers of Health and Defence personnel aware that defence members .including civilians, they cannot access state run quit websites because of the IT policies " That resulted in arse kicking and a statement saying the Minister and the CDF encourage all smokers to try to give up and the blocking of websites had been lifted as soon as they became aware of it and all smokers are welcome to access as much help as they need.

Some forums are ok but maybe not now. Because some bozo set up a site critical of every piece of kit under the sun and the uninformed uniformed took it as gospel. So Defence set one up on the Intranet. But you had to leave your name and rank and a lot of the noise dies away when you have to justify criticism.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:54 pm

ronrat wrote:
Many of these sites are not blocked for security but because folks military and civilian spent too much time on them instead of working. Ebay was one example.

But they probably don't need to worry that folks are spending too much time on myhealth.gov, unless they are very sickly...
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:34 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

I decided to opt out due to privacy concerns.

There was a data breach in Singapore earlier in the year with their e-health record scheme which affected 1.5 million people.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: