Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Recreational cyclists

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BICYCLE helmets should no longer be compulsory in all locations, Australias biggest cycling lobby group has declared, marking a major shift of policy.

The Bicycle Network said adults should be free to decide whether to wear a helmet when theyre not riding on the road.

The network is calling for a national five-year trial allowing people to choose to go helmet-free when riding on footpaths or off-road paths.

It stopped short of a total ban because the roads, and specifically cars, were still too dangerous.

The risk for bike riders is substantially created by people driving vehicles, the report said.

Bicycle Network CEO Craig Richards said bike riding was languishing and a review of mandatory helmet laws was needed.

I call it a very grey area with black and white opinions, he said.

Some people will look at this and say thank goodness and some will say why didnt you go further? and others will say what on earth are you doing?

The networks call comes after a survey of 20,000 of its members, of whom 60 per cent said helmet laws should be changed.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/scrap-helmets-for-offroad-use-says-bicycle-network/news-story/c02b0659bae693a362fac95f36fdfc0e

No shit sherlock.

Quote:
Victoria passed the worlds first mandatory bicycle helmet laws on July 1, 1990. Other states and territories, except the Northern Territory, followed during the 1990s.

But few nations around the world have followed Australias lead, and some countries, including Mexico and Malta, are repealing their helmet laws.

The number of people who ride a bike isnt increasing and there has been no decrease in the number of bike rider fatalities. Its clear that our bike policies arent working, Mr Richards said.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:31 pm

No but do they include the number of pedestrians being hit on the footpaths in those figures.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:18 am

Anyone that has come off a bike knows the helmet is a good thing just as seat belts are. Like riding motorcycles and wearing safety gear, until you come off you think there is no need.

The cyclist lobby loses more credibility every time they open their mouths. As for riding on footpaths this should be allowed but at walking pace only. Shared paths should be mandatory to slow to walking pace around pedestrians. In saying that I see many cyclists in time trials on shared paths and they are an accident waiting to happen. They are dumb as it's a shared path and that is with pedestrians, dogs and children and other casual cyclists and those cyclists in the tour de tosser don't mix well. I am a cyclist.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:05 am

Get down the north end of the CBD, there's all these chinese people on electric bicycles delivering food for some chinese language delivery service (the writing on the yellow food storage thingos is all chinese) and they follow no rules at all. One minute they're booting along the road, then a bike lane, then the footpath. They're all nucking futs.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:12 pm

I hate people who don't walk on the correct side of a footpath when confronted with oncoming foot traffic.

I can understand it in the middle of the city but out in suburbs stick to the left like a road.

I always play chicken with people who don't conform to this etiquette unless they're elderly, disabled or little kids.

It's fun.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:21 pm

^

I think it should be legal to slap the phone out of the hands of numbats who walk along the footpath staring down at their phone instead of watching where they're going.

So fkn many of them in the city. I refuse to dodge them.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:55 pm

Im a Bicycle Network member. I got an email from them earlier this week. I strongly expressed by serious concern at this stupid move.

In my experience, shared paths are dangerous as pedestrians are unpredictable. Give me a road anytime. Footpaths are also dangerous especially in suburbs as there are simply too many cars and driveways: a recipe for disaster.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:57 pm

This cnut of a car driver gets his hands smacked FFS.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/grotesque-attack-cyclist-sideswiped-thrown-from-bike-in-road-rage-incident-20181030-p50cs4.html

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:28 pm

Looking for a bike computer for my brother (xmas gift).
He has suggested Cateye or Bontrager brand.

I have been looking at Cateye wireless, WPT can you suggest one?
We have bikes but have never researched or bought bike computers before.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:58 pm

Dark Beanie wrote:
Looking for a bike computer for my brother (xmas gift).
He has suggested Cateye or Bontrager brand.

I have been looking at Cateye wireless, WPT can you suggest one?
We have bikes but have never researched or bought bike computers before.

I've had a cateye before and that was pretty good. Check the size of the display. The Bont is OK too need to check what a person wants from the computer too:

1. Speed
2. Cadence (RPM's)
3. Backlit for the dark
4. Distance
5. Hear rate
6. Chargeability (usb is best)
7. Time on bike ride

etc

The cateye seems to have one at wiggle but you can compare prices. This one can connect to a smart phone if your brother is IT savvy and into that. I have no idea how good it is , but seems pretty good

http://www.wiggle.com.au/cateye-padrone-digital-wireless-cc-pa400b-speed-caden/

You can spend $20 - over $1,000 as another factor to consider

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:41 pm

A traqgedy. A cycling advocate who predicted his own death while QLD police failed to uphold the law.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-06/cycling-advocate-who-warned-of-dangers-dies-on-ride/10468864

http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com.au/news/cameron-frewer-integrity-commission-to-examine-failure-to-investigate-close-pass-complaints

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:19 am

Thats awful, Im also wondering why he didnt find somewhere else to ride. Im guessing those cameras are not going to be a comfort to his wife and children. Fight the battle to change things, but riding with that mindset? Thats crazy
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:58 am

think positive wrote:
Thats awful, Im also wondering why he didnt find somewhere else to ride. Im guessing those cameras are not going to be a comfort to his wife and children. Fight the battle to change things, but riding with that mindset? Thats crazy

QLD police will be in serious trouble here for not doing their job when they had evidence to do the same. This has gone high level & his sacrifice by a murderous driver will go a long way to improving things for cyclists and getting police to actully enforce the law.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:02 am

The best kind of bike computer is surely a car.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:08 pm

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:

QLD police will be in serious trouble here for not doing their job when they had evidence to do the same. This has gone high level & his sacrifice by a murderous driver will go a long way to improving things for cyclists and getting police to actully enforce the law.

Still cold comfort to his family.

Before further comment is there vision of where the accident happened? Yesterday I was following a truck, both of us 10k under the posted speed limit, narrow country road, no concrete verge, 4 cyclists, a good 2 feet into the lane, the truck gave them a very wide berth, so did I, but what if there is traffic the other way? Maybe some roads are just not equips for cyclists?

Every time I see about the cyclists getting doored, I think why is there a bike lane there? On extremely busy roads with parking both sides? And the cyclist so often are not gonig at a reasonable speed. Walk to the footy at Etihad from the car park near Costco, the cyclist think they are in the Tour de France on a SHARED walkway.

This works both ways, there is no easy solution. Its not always possible to give enough room. There is a bike lane all the way down queen street, its a good metre wide, yet they ride on the line! As many as there are inconsiderate selfish drivers there are just as many stubborn arrogant cyclist refusing to stay in their lane.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 33 of 43   

Jump to: