Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gun laws in USA??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Of 27 mass shooters, 26 grew up in Fatherless homes.

Once you start looking down that rabbit hole it gets pretty scary.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/markmeckler/2018/02/27-deadliest-mass-shooters-26-one-thing-common/
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:06 pm

Wokko wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Last time I checked, Kavanaugh hasn't been prosecuted for any crimes.

It was a character assassination.

Why would a person with a professorship who was well regarded do this to herself?

Because Kavanaugh was going to tilt the Supreme Court conservative, his nomination was something that every leftist was railing and fighting against. There were attempts to smear him or find scandals from the moment he was nominated. The tactic then became to delay his nomination in hopes of taking the Senate in the mid terms.

Instead they found a man of impeccable character who had consistently hired female law clerks and sent a record number of female lawyers to clerk with Supreme Court justices. Even liberal women considered him a Mentor..........

Yeah nah, no.

My argument was about one woman who testified (I assume to say that the good Judge was not of good character as he raped her in the past - in her exprerience ). She was not on trial.

Yes of course it is true she couyldn't find anyone to support her reported experience of being raped by a drunken ?teenage Kavanagh. She wasn't arguing about his chararer since the rape or his conduct as a Judge and as you put it mentor to others.

She tesitifed that she was raped by him and another male held her down. Others supported her view that he was a drunken jock who did what he did. Many including Fox at the time said her evidence was credible.

This is a professor who has a good job and social standing. It beggars belief that she would jeopardize that to be ridiculed, abused, and shamed in front of an all male ? congressional republican ?enquiry. It doesn't pass the pub test.

And I know you know how hard it is for women to prove being raped.

Your link to say even liberal woman supported Kavanagh is a red herring as this woman was not reflecting on K's experience as an adult or a lawyer but her experience of him as a teeenager. The woman you linked to was the the author of Tiger Mum's: I don't know how much of a liberal she is ( as an aside and amongst other things I deal with the children whose parents create anxiety by their high expectations foistered on their children: the amoount of suicidal doctors, engineers, and pharmacists amongst others is surprizingly high - almost all are from Chinese heritage). I doubt very much this woman is a liberal.

There was a good link (but I've used my free allowance to a Vanity Fair article which analysed what she experienced through the republican process of vetting her information. However this article in the Washington Post neatly summarized her plight and the scenario:

"...Earlier this summer, Christine Blasey Ford wrote a confidential letter to a senior Democratic lawmaker alleging that Supreme Court nominee Brett M. Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her more than three decades ago, when they were high school students in suburban Maryland. Since Wednesday, she has watched as that bare-bones version of her story became public without her name or her consent...",

"...She engaged Debra Katz, a Washington lawyer known for her work on sexual harassment cases. On the advice of Katz, who said she believed Ford would be attacked as a liar if she came forward, Ford took a polygraph test administered by a former FBI agent in early August. The results, which Katz provided to The Post, concluded that Ford was being truthful when she said a statement summarizing her allegations was accurate...."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/california-professor-writer-of-confidential-brett-kavanaugh-letter-speaks-out-about-her-allegation-of-sexual-assault/2018/09/16/46982194-b846-11e8-94eb-3bd52dfe917b_story.html?utm_term=.c19dfe61692c

In short she had a lie detector. The computer said no: she did not lie. Did Kavanaugh have a lie detector test? (I'm not saying he has to but that wouyld help)

Now treating women as equals is not the same as placing women on pedestals - I understand that can be hard for some right wing males to understand.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Wokko wrote:
Of 27 mass shooters, 26 grew up in Fatherless homes.

Once you start looking down that rabbit hole it gets pretty scary.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/markmeckler/2018/02/27-deadliest-mass-shooters-26-one-thing-common/

The thing people need to remember is that nothing ever has a single cause. There are heaps of factors contributing to gun violence, and I have no doubt that socioeconomic disadvantage, mental illness and unstable upbringings are significant ones. So that statistic shouldnt surprise us at all. The question, then, is: why on earth would you want to add easily accessible firearms to that dangerous cocktail?

Should Americans be fixing those other things in the meantime? Absolutely. All the time. Gun violence or no gun violence. And wherever US society is at in that struggle, resolving the violent symptoms of those problems has to be a high priority.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:03 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Wokko wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Jezza wrote:
... Kavanaugh ...

Still not the "correct" thread (what does that person have to do with guns?), but I'm glad this discussion has moved away from the thread in which I was posting. I'll recycle my posts mentioning that person in that thread for more thread-appropriate matters.

The question is: what past behaviour or current temperament, if any, should disqualify one from specific jobs? (e.g. is it sufficient that some job applicant has not been charged in the past with criminal offences? That is certainly not the way AFL recruiters view their draft choices.)
K 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:03 pm

watt price tully wrote:
... ( ... I deal with the children whose parents create anxiety by their high expectations foistered on their children: the amoount of suicidal doctors, engineers, and pharmacists amongst others is surprizingly high ...). ...

Do you mean the "bad" parenting is driving the children to suicide even in adulthood? (Young adulthood, such as 20s or 30s, or older adulthood, such as 40s, 50s?)

* This is a recycled DP.

Last edited by K on Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:51 am

https://pjmedia.com/jchristianadams/flashback-30-years-guns-schools-nothing-happened/?fbclid=IwAR2gfVaJwFA5NctNh3URWzjGvUnXYt9qCuqlhQSD-3GCZEfii1L8N-KDzYU
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:05 pm

One of those where do you even start articles, but one of the funniest claims is that the root of all the USs cultural problems is 1960s liberalism, and yet the 1980s (a whole generation later!) was an idyllic time in which people knew right from wrong. Ive read a lot of silly exercises in false nostalgia before, but never one so chronologically challenged.

Anyway, Im inclined to agree with one of their premises: its not just the guns, and there is something deeply wrong with contemporary American culture. A logical conclusion of the claims asserted in the article (which Im absolutely taking with a grain of salt, given the generally factually-challenged nature of right-wing gun-nut websites), though that guns were in students hands in some US schools without incident in 1985, but that school shootings have become common occurrences in 2018 would be that a) somethings changed since the 1980s, such as, I dunno, the unrestrained capitalism ushered in by the Reagan administration and an increasingly atomised, alienated society emerging as a consequence; and that b) whatever the cause of the contemporary malaise (whether it be rampant capitalism, a decline in living wages, decadent pop culture, no-fault divorce or all the kids becoming purple-haired transgender Marxists), gun access has become more dangerous than it used to be. Now, what sort of policy proposals would a sane person derive from those conclusions? Bring guns back into schools? As they say in the classics, hurr durr.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:18 pm

^

Guns have been around for ages, society has changed.

Australia always had stricter gun laws than the USA, we always had limits on fully automatic rifles and handguns, yet we'd had access to semi automatic rifles for decades without major incidents until the 80's.

Then we had Hoddle St and Queen St in Vic, a few others in other states, and the straw that broke the camels back being Port Arthur

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:47 pm

And we stopped those things happening by putting semi-automatic weaponry in the hands of young children.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:20 pm

I had access to semi automatic weaponry from the time I could walk. Dad wasn't great on gun safety.

I haven't killed anyone.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:49 pm

Good management or good luck?

I gave my kids bubble wrap to pop when they were small. They havent killed anyone either. Im reasonably confident the murderous little slugs would have taken an entire school out, if theyd had half a chance. But, you need a lot of bubble wrap for that.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:07 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I had access to semi automatic weaponry from the time I could walk. Dad wasn't great on gun safety.

I haven't killed anyone.

That youre admitting to 😉

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:13 pm

And we have people shooting people on a weekly basis in Australia...

Only the delusional will tell you that gun laws work... if I wanted to shoot someone, I could have a glok in my hands before your head hits the pillow tonight.

That's a fact.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:15 pm

Try it.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:37 am

Skids wrote:
And we have people shooting people on a weekly basis in Australia...

Only the delusional will tell you that gun laws work... if I wanted to shoot someone, I could have a glok in my hands before your head hits the pillow tonight.

That's a fact.

So whats your theory on why Australia has fewer mass shootings per capita than America, exactly? We just want to shoot people less?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 26 of 48   

Jump to: