Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Numbing numbers for numpties: Article by G Baum

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
K take a chill pill.[1] Perhaps you can provide a statistical and quantitative analysis of Baums article?[2]

[1] I am still recovering from GF trauma. I believe Scotch whiskey is more effective than a pill.

[2] Just to annoy him? I'd have to send it to him, then; I assume he's not a Nickster (or else he would have been safe, as part of a protected species).

I actually have wondered if he's lost the plot. I don't recall him writing like this 10 or 15 years ago. Maybe, he was more heavily edited in the past.

I already gave him the benefit of the doubt when I saw this article was filed under "baseball". It contains essentially no baseball, and if Greg knows anything about baseball he has chosen not to reveal it to us. I assume for his sake he was not actually asked to write a baseball article, but instead allowed to rant about anything.

Maybe Baum was bothered by an article his own newspaper ran (from WaPo) a few days before his:

Red Sox need to fix one key stat to beat Dodgers in World Series

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/red-sox-need-to-fix-one-key-stat-to-beat-dodgers-in-world-series-20181023-p50bbf.html

If I were writing about the Sox, of course, I would write about The Curse.

I don't know about that. I think the curse is well and truly dead. 4 world series in 15 years is pretty dominant stuff (given there are 30 teams in the league).i think in that period, Sf have won 3 and no one else has won more than 1. They are now the standard bearers of excellence.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:44 pm

E wrote:
K wrote:
Maybe Baum was bothered by an article his own newspaper ran (from WaPo) a few days before his:

Red Sox need to fix one key stat to beat Dodgers in World Series

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/red-sox-need-to-fix-one-key-stat-to-beat-dodgers-in-world-series-20181023-p50bbf.html

If I were writing about the Sox, of course, I would write about The Curse.

I don't know about that. I think the curse is well and truly dead. 4 world series in 15 years is pretty dominant stuff (given there are 30 teams in the league).i think in that period, Sf have won 3 and no one else has won more than 1. They are now the standard bearers of excellence.

What do you mean? Don't you think it's interesting to write about a broken curse? I'm undecided about how much of a curse it really was. It's not as if they played off all that often during the drought. Is being uncompetitive for much of a century a "curse"? The video clip linked on the previous page is rather horrific, though.

The Sox fan in me is pleased about the four titles in rapid succession. The Pies fan in me wonders why the Pies cannot do the same thing: bury the &*&% thing, instead of just having one title every two or three decades. (In fairness, those sporting teams that bury curses in avalanches of titles tend to be unrestricted in financial terms.)

["Consistently among the biggest spenders in baseball, the Red Sox led the major leagues with a payroll exceeding $230 million this year."]
K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Are Boston Sports Fans Sick and Tired of Winning?

The enthusiasts of a city gifted in the 2000s with a glorious and bountiful title harvest still cant seem to get over themselves.

By Will Leitch
Mr. Leitch is a Cardinals fan but has nothing against the Red Sox.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/29/opinion/boston-red-sox-world-series-fans.html

"Even my 6-year-old son scowled when he got the news this morning that the Boston Red Sox had won the 2018 World Series. The Red Sox again, he said, furrowing his brow at an age far too young to be furrowing ones brow. Boston wins everything.

How confused my young son would be by any piece of New England-based popular culture on the Red Sox produced before 2004, which was steeped in misery, torture, pain and suffering. (Im pretty sure Misery, Torture, Pain and Suffering made up the Red Sox infield for most of the 1970s.)"
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:41 pm

Can we please stick to the thread? Who cares about American baseball unless youre talking about the series by Ken Burns or a Night at the Opera
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: