Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade period summary

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Beams is back. An elite player. Prodigal son.
Hopefully his injuries were partly psychosomatic.

I have full faith in our recruiting and our abilities to identify gold/value from any pick.

Only need to acquire 1.5 guns per year to have an infinitely well-above average footy team. If we can pluck another (Maynard/Langdon/Sier/Phillips) in the draft we should be good.
DT 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:43 am

swoop42 wrote:
Beams finished 2nd in Brisbane's B&F (1 vote behind Zorko) and was Brisbane's leading Brownlow vote receiver and finished 8th overall.

His trade cost is effectively our 2019 1st round selection as we'll leave the draft with the same two players we intended to take.

Not sure how anyone can believe we've overpaid and while the trade could prove to be a bust if his body fails him you can say they same thing now about using pick 6 on Scharenberg so risks are ever present whatever the age.

In my opinion wherever the bid for Quaynor comes now is inconsequential to how you rate the Beams trade or whether you preferred to retain pick 18 and for a number of reasons.

1. The landscape has changed with us parting with pick 18 and gaining further points so clubs may not be so inclined to make a tactical bid in the first round now because we've insulated ourselves against it and by our actions they know we will match it. I accept I may be wrong on this of course but with the whole song and dance routine now surrounding the first round of the draft on Foxtel will a club with pick 15 or 17 really waste the time focusing on any player they can't get if they see his value between 15 to 25?

If a bid comes don't be surprised if it's Brisbane at 18.

2. If the Beams trade hadn't eventuated then their is every chance we would have chosen to do what Sydney did and exchanged pick 18 for multiple selections that was worth more points. This is an entirely plausible scenario because once Moore and Langdon re-signed we seemingly had little capacity outside the trading of future picks to gain points for this years draft. The picks we entered trade week with only equated to 453pts which wasn't nearly enough to match a bid for Quaynor prior to pick 18 and would have pushed back our 2019 1st round selection to the 2nd round. Taking Kelly would have seen that 2nd round pick wiped out also should a bid for him come in the range anticipated.

3. Finally if you are happy to have Beams back at the club then pick 18 was always going to be involved. More importantly though if you believe like I do that the club values Quaynor as being worthy of pick 18 then it would have been a disaster to not use the bidding system to our advantage and obtain him with lesser selections in the draft.

Personally I think we've been very fortunate that the availability of Quaynor and Kelly has coincided with a season we've returned to September with a bullet and giving up pick 18 as part of the deal for Beams is in no way comparable to using pick 6 on Stephenson the previous season.

We've maximised the value of pick 18 in my opinion and will leave this trade/draft period with not only the player we were prepared to use it on we don't get Beams without it.

I'm stoked.

Brilliant explanation of the detail. Many thanks. Totally agree too

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:53 am

Great summary Swoop.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:22 pm

swoop42 wrote:
3. ... More importantly though if you believe like I do that the club values Quaynor as being worthy of pick 18 then it would have been a disaster to not use the bidding system to our advantage and obtain him with lesser selections in the draft.

That is a highly debatable statement, for reasons discussed elsewhere in this thread.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:18 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-26/pick-swap-pies-gain-more-draft-points-in-trade-with-cats

We trade pick 51 to Geelong for picks 59 and 60.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: