Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Oh and on behalf of Collingwood FC... THANK YOU GEELONG!!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The cats reportedly wanted 20+22+2019 1st round selection.

Eagles only prepared to offer a future 2nd alongside the other 2 selections.

Geelong not guaranteed to get a better offer next year especially so if Kelly is now disgruntled and his form dips.

tbaker 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:50 pm

E wrote:
tbaker wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:
K wrote:
Cam wrote:
Yeah, the ethics aren't great...

How so? I didn't think there were really extraordinary circumstances the player was facing.

Most likely his family live in Perth next season. You have the right to work near where your family live. They prevented Kelly from doing so. You also have the right to select your employer.

Still, Kelly elected not to make Freo an option.
I lost some sympathy accordingly.
Ross Lyon is costing the club players I think. Neale walking out was a real indictment.

Kelly played hard-ball and got the same from Geelong - what he deserved.
And next year, he can't just walk to the eagles; he'd have to nominate for the draft if he walks away as an uncontracted player (right?), so Geelong can still broker a trade next year (albeit with less bargaining power than this year).
Typical Geelong though - sill trading in/keeping older players instead of going through a minor rebuild with draft kids - they obviously think their window is still open, and that's their whole problem...good for all other teams though...

Kelly will start his second season next season??????

Huh???? Your point/question is????

mabo 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:26 am

I'm glad Geelong took a stand on this and made him stay put. If it was a legitimate request, he would have taken the deal from Freo, considering he's from Freo.

The fact that he insisted on only going to WC just tells me that they were into him and his whole reason for leaving was a load of BS and a poor return for Geelong after giving him a chance in the AFL in the first place.

Well done Geelong for not falling for this wannabe free-agent crap that's rampant in the comp.
On the March 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:20 am

Interesting article in Herald Sun today giving the point of view from the Kelly family. (not sure how to link article). Very difficult circumstances - sometimes we forget footballers are humans with families and the responsibilities that go with that.
I will bet my left knacker he ends up at WC for less cost than what he could have this year.

I concede the question still stands why Kelly wasn't prepared to discuss going to Freo (like Beams not going to GCS).

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/caitlin-miller-says-geelong-cats-didnt-provide-enough-support-for-family-after-signing-tim-kelly/news-story/f645a43449b0a283b11ce2b53bfce7bf
tbaker 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:25 pm

^ Yes, interesting article, but evoking little sympathy considering that Geelong were willing to trade him to Fremantle. Not sure what the Kelly's now expect Geelong to do (they now want more support from Geelong in 2019; presumably in covering costs of trips back & forth between Geelong & Perth for family members). Kelly knew that, if drafted, he would be on a 2 year contract, and that it would be highly unlikely he'd be lucky enough to be picked up by a WA team.
Good on Geelong for making a stand - they'll have less bargaining power next year and Kelly will likely get to where he wants - but they didn't let Kelly bully them into a trade that wasn't rewarding enough for the club.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:50 am

mabo wrote:
I'm glad Geelong took a stand on this and made him stay put. If it was a legitimate request, he would have taken the deal from Freo, considering he's from Freo.

The fact that he insisted on only going to WC just tells me that they were into him and his whole reason for leaving was a load of BS and a poor return for Geelong after giving him a chance in the AFL in the first place.

Well done Geelong for not falling for this wannabe free-agent crap that's rampant in the comp.

Agree. One good reason to have at least 2 clubs in every state, I suppose

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:24 am

tbaker wrote:
^ Yes, interesting article, but evoking little sympathy considering that Geelong were willing to trade him to Fremantle. Not sure what the Kelly's now expect Geelong to do (they now want more support from Geelong in 2019; presumably in covering costs of trips back & forth between Geelong & Perth for family members). Kelly knew that, if drafted, he would be on a 2 year contract, and that it would be highly unlikely he'd be lucky enough to be picked up by a WA team.
Good on Geelong for making a stand - they'll have less bargaining power next year and Kelly will likely get to where he wants - but they didn't let Kelly bully them into a trade that wasn't rewarding enough for the club.

Indeed:

Kellys: "Waaa! We miss WA, send us back, whatever the cost, we miss everyone, our support network, we are dying on the vine here in G-long. Please, we beg you."

Cats: "Ok we have a deal so you can go back."

Freo: "Hi!"

Kellys: "Waaa! But not Freooooo!"

Cats: "Riiiiiiiight..."

K 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:15 pm

^ Maybe the wife and kids vetoed the Freo coach.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:28 pm

Cam wrote:
tbaker wrote:

Indeed:

Kellys: "Waaa! We miss WA, send us back, whatever the cost, we miss everyone, our support network, we are dying on the vine here in G-long. Please, we beg you."

Cats: "Ok we have a deal so you can go back."

Freo: "Hi!"

Kellys: "Waaa! But not Freooooo!"

Cats: "Riiiiiiiight..."

Hypocritical from the Cats. Dangerfield didn't consider any other clubs when moving. Most players will select one club (Beams another example when going to Brisbane). You still want to be in a good situation and the Dockers simply aren't that. It's also important for the destination club to have some certainty, if they're not sure whether a player will come to them or go somewhere else, it's hard for them to put a full effort into the deal as they may have other options.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:28 am

^This. I suspect that when Kelly elected for the draft he thought he'd get to WCE, who were definitely keen on him then.

Cats have picked up Dangerfield, Rohan and Selwood on 'return home' grounds. They paid unders for Dangerfield. What goes around comes around a bit I think.

Cats should have banked the 2 picks in the low 20's (better picks than Kelly was drafted with 12 months prior) as well as a 2nd round next year and commenced their rebuild. They aren't a shot this year while they have Kelly. Need some draftees.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: