Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

This is weird right?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

I developed late physically, so wasn't really an option. But my year 8 maths teacher was fresh out of uni, had a habit of sitting on the desk while talking to the class and had a bodacious set of ta ta's.

If she'd asked me to stay back after class it would have been "Yes maam"

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:22 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
I think I've read about that story before, and yeah, it's sad. I think it's okay to condemn the crime – and to recognise the necessity that it be a crime – while simultaneously acknowledging that suffering is not always inherent in the nature of the crime committed (particularly when the harm is psychological rather than physical), but dependent on other factors; not everyone reacts the same way, and what's awful and traumatic for 95% of the population might be less so for someone else (and people have a right to process their victimisation as they see fit).

While we need to dispense with harmful gender stereotypes in cases like these (girls are victims, boys are gagging for it), I don't think there's anything wrong with acknowledging the role of gender as one of several factors in the extent of harm and victimisation. How could it not be?

Yeah i guess thats what I mean, i just wish subconsciously i didnt think like that! becuase really it shouldnt matter! im just wondering if its my age group, have things changed?

What’s interesting is that nothing about the act (or, as far as I’m aware, our psychological or scientific understanding of it) has really changed at all, though social views about it definitely have in various ways. I’m reminded here of a similar case from France in the 1970s, except in that case prominent French intellectuals like Simone de Beauvoir, Jean-Paul Sartre and Michel Foucault – who, at times, declared opposition to the idea of age of consent altogether – were up in arms in defence of the perpetrator, and it was the parents who were publicly shamed for reporting the relationship to the police:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1971/06/26/immortal-gatito

It was a different time and place, needless to say. The really provocative question, I guess, is: how do we know for a fact that we’re right now and that they were wrong then? (You can also, unwisely or otherwise, apply that to other topics like whether homosexuality is a mental illness or whether men and women are inherently better at different jobs.) The 1960s and’70s weren’t exactly the dark ages when it comes to scientific understanding of human psychology, and many of the things that were up in the air then are contested now. So what do we know now that we didn’t then?

I don’t think there’s any serious scientific dispute that child sexual abuse is harmful, for all sorts of reasons unrelated to cultural norms. But we do get into murkier territory when it comes to teenagers who are biologically ready for sex but psychologically immature. Ultimately, in recognition of the possibility of exploitation, negative effects on psychological and social development and cost-benefit ratios, we rightly take a cautious approach to such matters in law and broader culture. But that’s not a solution to the broader philosophical questions above; perhaps it’s more just a sensible compromise that works for now.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:00 pm

^

In the olden days for some cultures and more recent days for others, once a girl had her first period she was deemed able to be married. Biologically ready but possibly still in primary school.

I'm happy with the current laws, arbitrary as they may be.

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:40 pm

Is she a looker at least?

You should be teaching the boy how to bed the female.

If it goes to shit, as the teacher she'll cop the blame for it - another millennial learns that life comes with no safe spaces.

14yo boys gotta do what 14yo boys gotta do
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:41 pm

Why don't you ask her?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:29 pm

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
Is she a looker at least?

You should be teaching the boy how to bed the female.

If it goes to shit, as the teacher she'll cop the blame for it - another millennial learns that life comes with no safe spaces.

14yo boys gotta do what 14yo boys gotta do

wise words from a 30+ yr old virgin. Razz Wink

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:00 am

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:
I think I've read about that story before, and yeah, it's sad. I think it's okay to condemn the crime – and to recognise the necessity that it be a crime – while simultaneously acknowledging that suffering is not always inherent in the nature of the crime committed (particularly when the harm is psychological rather than physical), but dependent on other factors; not everyone reacts the same way, and what's awful and traumatic for 95% of the population might be less so for someone else (and people have a right to process their victimisation as they see fit).

While we need to dispense with harmful gender stereotypes in cases like these (girls are victims, boys are gagging for it), I don't think there's anything wrong with acknowledging the role of gender as one of several factors in the extent of harm and victimisation. How could it not be?

Yeah i guess thats what I mean, i just wish subconsciously i didnt think like that! becuase really it shouldnt matter! im just wondering if its my age group, have things changed?

What’s interesting is that nothing about the act (or, as far as I’m aware, our psychological or scientific understanding of it) has really changed at all, though social views about it definitely have in various ways. I’m reminded here of a similar case from France in the 1970s, except in that case prominent French intellectuals like Simone de Beauvoir, Jean-Paul Sartre and Michel Foucault – who, at times, declared opposition to the idea of age of consent altogether – were up in arms in defence of the perpetrator, and it was the parents who were publicly shamed for reporting the relationship to the police:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1971/06/26/immortal-gatito

It was a different time and place, needless to say. The really provocative question, I guess, is: how do we know for a fact that we’re right now and that they were wrong then? (You can also, unwisely or otherwise, apply that to other topics like whether homosexuality is a mental illness or whether men and women are inherently better at different jobs.) The 1960s and’70s weren’t exactly the dark ages when it comes to scientific understanding of human psychology, and many of the things that were up in the air then are contested now. So what do we know now that we didn’t then?

I don’t think there’s any serious scientific dispute that child sexual abuse is harmful, for all sorts of reasons unrelated to cultural norms. But we do get into murkier territory when it comes to teenagers who are biologically ready for sex but psychologically immature. Ultimately, in recognition of the possibility of exploitation, negative effects on psychological and social development and cost-benefit ratios, we rightly take a cautious approach to such matters in law and broader culture. But that’s not a solution to the broader philosophical questions above; perhaps it’s more just a sensible compromise that works for now.

Interesting read. Surprised that it’s french, I thought they were more opened minded about these th8ngs, noting the boy is a lot older of course.

Interesting post too, a lot to think about,

I know at the time I was horrified, and I guess now I’m equally horrified that I’m rooting for the to have a Happy after! cheers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: