Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Good article on Mayne

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:22 pm
Post subject: Good article on MayneReply with quote

Hard not to respect this guy's endeavour:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-resurrection-of-collingwood-s-chris-mayne-20180912-p503df.html
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely! Great article. Goes to show the value of keeping faith in people.
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:45 pm

I have enormous respect for the guy. He has changed almost every aspect of his life for this opportunity and that cannot be ignored.

I especially liked his use of the bus analogy; clearly picking up on Buckley's earlier use of the same analogy. That suggest to me that he has bought in and is committed.

Chapeau!

tbaker 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:07 pm

Similar article in Herald-Sun:

How Chris Mayne salvaged his career after a nightmare start at Collingwood
JON RALPH, Herald Sun
September 12, 2018 5:35pm
Subscriber only

CHRIS Mayne has revealed the depths of his first miserable year at Collingwood, saying the faith of his fiance Britt and a dramatic off-season fitness program helped save his football career.
The former Fremantle forward endured a nightmarish first year, savaged over his lucrative contract and ending the year with his father in a Twitter spat with Nathan Buckley over his treatment.
Mayne only got into the Collingwood side this year because of a four-day break after Anzac Day but hasn’t missed a game since, playing a key shutdown role on Jeremy McGovern in last weekend’s narrow finals loss.
He said yesterday when the criticism was at its worst last year he effectively shut himself off from the football world — shutting off all social media and cancelling the newspapers.
Fiance Britt also played a key role as he hired a running coach over the summer and smashed himself with a fitness program instead of enjoying the club’s eight-week break.
“It was extremely tough but I think it took halfway through the year when my partner deleted the AFL app, got rid of the papers, got rid of all social media and stopped listening to the white noise,’’ he said.
“People didn’t know my circumstances, didn’t know my family or partner’s circumstances, and not only was it sucky in a way I had to deal with it but my mum and dad had to deal with it at home, my partner is here and we have no family or support so it was really tough.
“So when I got to the end of the year it was what can I do to put myself in the best shape and head space to be part of this team.
“We didn’t go away on holiday, we stayed here and I worked with a running coach, at a gym close by with two people and Britt was there the whole way.”
He and Britt will wed in October, Mayne aware if the Pies can knock over GWS it could be the start of a perfect year.
“It’s been great so far, but it can be even better. It would be a great end to the year, win a premiership, get married, go on a honeymoon and then start on the little ones,’’ he said.
“I have always envisioned myself having all those so hopefully I can do it this year but if not this year next year.
“Being a part of the AFL is great but it’s definitely an aspiration to be a premiership player.”
The finals run has also been reward for his parents, including father Steve, who tweeted last year his son had been thrown under a bus by Buckley when he refused to play him.
“Yeah that was well publicised, but Dad has always had my best interests at heart but him and mum found it pretty tough,’’ Mayne said.
“They couldn’t be here, Dad would get a phone call and I would have a chat to him and everyone found it tough and little things vent.
“But the big thing about it is not only my friends and family and partner but everyone around me backed me in to work hard through the adversity.”

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:28 am

Great article.

I admire Mayne's ability to keep persevering and now he's reaping the rewards of his hard work.

Last edited by Jezza on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:55 am

Article was as much an insight into Chris as it was the attitude around the club

Every one on the same page and the younger player say like Sier have been inspired by Mayne,s sheer persistence

Ditto the Sack

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:40 pm

Just thought I would bump his thread.

This guy may get hold the key to beating the Eagles on the weekend.

He’s a had a very influential finals series to date.

We all know he went to McGovern for the last three quarters in the first final and he curbed McGoverns influence to a trickle for the remainder of that match.
Against GWS, he smashed an in form Tomlinson ( check his couple previous matches ) and kept him to 6 effective possessions on the wing.
Against the Tigers, he started on the wing against Grigg and was then moved to Lambert after quarter time. The rest is history.

Surely he must get first crack at McGovern this time around. You don’t get a stat for footy smarts but Mayne knows his way around the park.
If you’re fit and you have the smarts, then you are on the way to stopping McGovern from having a big impact in this game.

12 months ago, who would have thought.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:48 pm

As long as they have contingency plans... Sometimes second time round does not work.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:15 pm

K wrote:
As long as they have contingency plans... Sometimes second time round does not work.

Very valid point K. As long as Miochek third time around isn’t one of those contingency plans.
Miocheks focus as a forward, needs to be the ball and not his opponent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: