Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The danger of psycho babble

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

E wrote:
maybe we should ask them whether percentage matters? Might be a better use of their time. They will probably not agree with me proving they dont know ANYTHING!

But whatever you or I think about percentage is not important, it's how percentage feels about itself. Wink Razz

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:25 pm

K wrote:
I joined the conversation between you and John LEWIN, in which I think my views are more aligned with JL's than yours. I know you have a certain distaste for university qualifications, but what are your HR views on OHS issues?

A direct, forceful and smart arsed mate of mine,when employed by a very large professional services firm a few years ago, decided to circumvent the HR department and go to the source of the problem and to deal with it there, rather than raising it with HR. Of course the source of the problem was very upset with that and complained to HR. HR sought to counsel my friend about what he had done. He refused to meet with them, telling them that they were a waste of time. The HR manager became quite upset and asked if he even knew what HR meant. He wasn't expecting the answer "Is it something to do with Puff n Stuff?' (those that weren't watching kids TV in the early 70's won't know what I am talking about).
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:16 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
K wrote:
I joined the conversation between you and John LEWIN, in which I think my views are more aligned with JL's than yours. I know you have a certain distaste for university qualifications, but what are your HR views on OHS issues?

A direct, forceful and smart arsed mate of mine,when employed by a very large professional services firm a few years ago, decided to circumvent the HR department and go to the source of the problem and to deal with it there, rather than raising it with HR. Of course the source of the problem was very upset with that and complained to HR. HR sought to counsel my friend about what he had done. He refused to meet with them, telling them that they were a waste of time. The HR manager became quite upset and asked if he even knew what HR meant. He wasn't expecting the answer "Is it something to do with Puff n Stuff?' (those that weren't watching kids TV in the early 70's won't know what I am talking about).

Ihad ab a4poster of Susie O neill in her Australian swim costume before the Oly,pics which were on the next week. HR rang and asked me if I had "Some offensive bikini poster up".No I had the Australian swim captain in her sporting gear. HR came done , had a look and sid "Yaeh, no proble," Complainant persisted . I just said the complainer from the sub continent " We can't say but you would be real close'. Serial whinger. So I wandered past her desk and she had over 40 posters of mainly Tony Modra and a few other Crows rubbish. So I rang HR and said if Susie is out of order so surely are footballers in uniform. They rang whinger and she was going to formally complain about my poster. So HR put an edict that all posters such as swimmers, footballers,netballers, runners etc where to be removed due to a constant complaint. In a 27 storey building. Said complainer couldn't even go to the canteen without someone calling her a bitch because "I had to take my netball grand final photo because of you you bitch" etc. Everyone knew who the whinger was and HR refused to back her citing "Because of you we got complaints from grandmothers about 6 year olds in little aths". When she applied for a severage package it was processed within 48 hours and when she tried to change her mind it was too late. Sorry your job is gone.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:29 pm

A few HR stories come to mind. One is more about the insurance company than the HR department itself. Insurance guys send inspectors to their clients, and they fuss about things like a chair being too close to the exit. I think an old, huge couch plonked right in front of an emergency exit is safer than a Collective Mind camp. I reckon the Crows would have "accidentally" not told their insurance company about their camp.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:50 am

I teach HR to MBA students at Uni and they are often bemused at my description of it as Human Remains Management.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:08 pm

I still prefer the term HR over the new age wanky moniker "People and Culture". It seems to encourage a special breed of pretentious twat who take themselves way too seriously.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:27 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I still prefer the term HR over the new age wanky moniker "People and Culture". It seems to encourage a special breed of pretentious twat who take themselves way too seriously.

Tru dat.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:37 pm

People and Culture at one place make clear to employees that there is to be no kicking or punching of fellow employees. I don't think they would sign off on any of the thread stuff --- not the negatively geared stuff, anyway. (They may be okay with the Trevor Hendy stuff.)
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:44 pm

Gambling, family issues, more: Goodwin tells all

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-20/gambling-family-issues-more-goodwin-tells-all

"At Melbourne, they've become known as 'growth sessions', much like reigning premier Richmond's HHH (hardship, highlight, hero) gatherings.

These types of honesty sessions are becoming increasingly popular in overseas codes, and Goodwin went on a sports-related study tour in the United States in the off-season.

The Demons dabbled in this area last season, but not to the extent they have this campaign, kick-started by Goodwin and run by former AFL footballer Jim Plunkett.

Plunkett previously worked for Leading Teams and joined Melbourne's cause in November 2016, as general manager of people and culture, and even sits on the bench on game days.

The growth sessions involve between one and three players or coaches standing in front of the group and speaking for about 10 minutes each on various topics, and all designed to forge deeper relationships.

They might discuss their fears, their vulnerabilities, their dreams or what they love. Some of them end in fits of laughter, others in tears."
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:51 pm

It used to just be the Personnel Department.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:01 pm

^

The good old days

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:06 pm

Not that a youngster like you would remember them. Smile
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:58 pm

Someone told me about them. Young, slim, good looking bloke, looked a little like me.

Dunno what happened to him.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:04 am

Tannin wrote:
It used to just be the Personnel Department.

Newfangled term. They used to be just “payroll” - when they had a purpose and knew their place.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:08 am

Like who, specifically?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 11 of 18   

Jump to: