Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pipped in thriller - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^He was very quiet for someone we had "no answer" to. Only kicked 2 goals and took 5 marks. Mihocek performed better against a supposedly superior defence.

Taking 5 contested marks in the forward line and kicking 2 goals is a mighty effort in a relatively low scoring game. And Mihocek was wonderful as well, not quite as good as Darling but still played a very good game of football. And De Goey and Stephenson had good games as well as far as I'm concerned. This was a finals game on opposition territory so you need to judge the efforts of forwards according to the increased pressure of finals football. I wasn't expecting any of our forwards to kick a bag of goals. All the forwards contributed except for Cox who had a poor game in my opinion.

Last edited by MatthewBoydFanClub on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:36 pm

dp
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:08 pm

Pies2016 wrote:

I posted in the pre game thread that I felt this was the last match up we would want in the finals series. The eagles in Perth. They didn’t finish second on the ladder from a lottery result.

Well one could argue they actually did finish second on the ladder from a lottery result; don't recall them having to play 2 home games at Etihad stadium like the Victorian based clubs?

And I know we all laughed at the time when Port lost that game against WCE on the siren late in the season after the McGovern goal, but shit it cost us top spot ultimately. Would love to see Melbourne roll Weasels again in the Prelim.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:30 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
^^He was very quiet for someone we had "no answer" to. Only kicked 2 goals and took 5 marks. Mihocek performed better against a supposedly superior defence.

Taking 5 contested marks in the forward line and kicking 2 goals is a mighty effort in a relatively low scoring game. And Mihocek was wonderful as well, not quite as good as Darling but still played a very good game of football. And De Goey and Stephenson had good games as well as far as I'm concerned. This was a finals game on opposition territory so you need to judge the efforts of forwards according to the increased pressure of finals football. I wasn't expecting any of our forwards to kick a bag of goals. All the forwards contributed except for Cox who had a poor game in my opinion.

Statistically, Darling had a modest game by his 2018 standards. He had 9 kicks, 5 marks (3 of the 5 contested and 2 of the 5 inside 50), 4 handballs, 3 scoring shots (2.1), 2 goal assists. His season averages are 9 kicks, 6 marks (2.3 contested, 3 inside 50), 4 handballs, 2 goals (4 scoring shots) and a goal assist.

He played well enough and he was a threat, because he is a good footballer. However, he's kicked more goals, had mores disposals etc in 11 of his other 18 games this year than he did on Saturday. Bearing in mind that he was injured early in two of those other games (St Kilda and Melbourne), it might be reasonable to rank his game on Saturday night as his 12th best game of a 16 game season. He certainly didn't run rampant - and he presented nowhere as much trouble for us as he did for Richmond in round 9, when he kicked 6.2, took 15 marks (6 contested and 8 inside 50), had 20 kicks and 2 goal assists.

Looked at another way, of course, no-one in the competition has an answer for him - West Coast lost to Sydney in round 1 but, since then, the Wiggles have won every single one of the 16 games that Darling has completed.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:38 pm

This Pies team doesn't come back well from a bye. All the skills were there on show but they never really clicked as a group. They will be better in this next game, and better again for the Prelim.

Its a blessing in disguise really. If the Pies had held on and dragged themselves across the line to beat the Eagles we'd now be looking at another bye. And we'd come back from that one poorly and get thrashed by whoever we play. By losing to the Eagles we have a fighting chance in the Prelim, but have to get there first.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:48 pm

It all depends on Cox. He is the key to our success or failure, as he has been all year imo.

He doesn't need to take 10 marks or kick 5 goals, but he has to clunk a few, bring the ball to ground and compete strongly in the air. Against the Eagles he did none of that. This was a double blow for us at it meant there were also less ground ball opportunities for Stephenson, De Goey and co.

His job would be helped by better delivery, in front of him, rather than on his head, where he gets knocked out of the contest far too easily. Unfortunately, in finals, there is often much more pressure on the ball carrier, and they often are forced to kick long, in hope more than anything, without being able to carefully place the ball in the right spot. Overall, I'd like to see a much more aggressive and angry Cox, hitting the packs hard and knocking defenders over.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

Statistically, Darling had a modest game by his 2018 standards. He had 9 kicks, 5 marks (3 of the 5 contested and 2 of the 5 inside 50), 4 handballs, 3 scoring shots (2.1), 2 goal assists. His season averages are 9 kicks, 6 marks (2.3 contested, 3 inside 50), 4 handballs, 2 goals (4 scoring shots) and a goal assist.

He played well enough and he was a threat, because he is a good footballer. However, he's kicked more goals, had mores disposals etc in 11 of his other 18 games this year than he did on Saturday. Bearing in mind that he was injured early in two of those other games (St Kilda and Melbourne), it might be reasonable to rank his game on Saturday night as his 12th best game of a 16 game season. He certainly didn't run rampant - and he presented nowhere as much trouble for us as he did for Richmond in round 9, when he kicked 6.2, took 15 marks (6 contested and 8 inside 50), had 20 kicks and 2 goal assists.

Looked at another way, of course, no-one in the competition has an answer for him - West Coast lost to Sydney in round 1 but, since then, the Wiggles have won every single one of the 16 games that Darling has completed.

Agree on Darling. He was on fire before his injury earlier in the season and you don’t stop good players for the entire game. His attack on the contest is so strong and so many of his pack marks are taken on his chest. If you can’t stop his run at the ball ( and that usually requires support from a team mate ) then he will make you pay at some point in the game.
If someone gave you the choice of both darling and Kennedy only kicking four between them, I reckon you would take it.
The problem is that still managed to win their share of games without them both, so they were never going to be just one trick ponies up forward.
We were pretty good, just not quite good enough on the day.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
It all depends on Cox. He is the key to our success or failure, as he has been all year imo.

He doesn't need to take 10 marks or kick 5 goals, but he has to clunk a few, bring the ball to ground and compete strongly in the air. Against the Eagles he did none of that. This was a double blow for us at it meant there were also less ground ball opportunities for Stephenson, De Goey and co.

His job would be helped by better delivery, in front of him, rather than on his head, where he gets knocked out of the contest far too easily. Unfortunately, in finals, there is often much more pressure on the ball carrier, and they often are forced to kick long, in hope more than anything, without being able to carefully place the ball in the right spot. Overall, I'd like to see a much more aggressive and angry Cox, hitting the packs hard and knocking defenders over.

Honey everything depends on Cox

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:35 pm

think positive wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

😂😂😂
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:01 pm

I disagree re: Cox not bringing the ball to ground. He did a number of times after quarter time, especially after that free kick adams got early in the last quarter when we were up 10 points. NO ONE was at the freakin’ fall, Eagles swooped and put it down JK’s throat within 10 seconds, he goals, and we go from 10 up and locked in our F50 (or even 16 up) to just 4 up in the blink of an eye. THAT was the play that cost us the final quarter.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:09 pm

think positive wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:25 am

A good point I heard made tonight: backing in Mihocek to turn his performance on McGovern around really cost us in the first. As soon as Mayne was moved to him the game changed completely.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:54 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
A good point I heard made tonight: backing in Mihocek to turn his performance on McGovern around really cost us in the first. As soon as Mayne was moved to him the game changed completely.

One of the most underrated aspects of a players ability is their smarts.
You have to be smart to beat McGovern. I’m not bagging Miochek but playing a defensive forward is something he has probably never done in his career.
People say just take McGovern away from the play but for how many years have players been unsuccessfully trying that tactic.
You need to take him up the ground but to the point he won’t drop off you because he knows you won’t get used anyway.
That takes a lot of smarts. You have to be fit and blow him up early and still be good enough that he doesn’t bother to pick you up.
I’ve watched a bit of footy this year and the guy who destroyed him was Bombers Mitch Brown. He took him up to the centre and through the middle so the Bombers kicked the ball beyond McGovern when they went forward. Brown was also quick enough to get back, drop off McGovern and get a couple over the top on the way back.
Moore at his best could probably do the job but that seems a long way off right now.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:10 am

AN_Inkling wrote:

Darling took 3 contested marks, 5 marks in total. Kennedy also took 3 and 6 in total.

It was a below par performance especially from Darling. Kennedy had rust as an excuse and could have had a better night if he kicked straighter. His game was on par with Mihocek's with Darling slightly below.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:55 am

RudeBoy wrote:

That's the main reason that I intensely dislike night finals. They eliminate one of the key features of our game. When I say our game I mean football and not just Cox at Collingwood.

I prefer games where the big forwards have a reasonable chance of taking big pack marks and having a real influence on the game. That just doesn't happen at night unless it is indoors at the little stadium.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18   

Jump to: