Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#46 Mason Cox

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

npalm wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Hawthorn can take the video to AFL house if they want but it all looked legal to me. If you're good enough you can break tackles.

I wasn't talking about tackles. I was referring to the tactic that has crept into the game in recent times of pushing opposition players into a crowded marking contest. Its the way that Howe suffered concussion when Moore's knee collected him in the head. Would never have happened if he hadn't been (illegally) pushed into the contest.
Richmond seem to be the worst for this. I suspect they have practised it as a training drill. As far as I'm aware this tactic should be paid a free kick for 'interference in a marking contest'.

It's hard to do when the offenders are the first to appeal for a free kick. Surprised after pushing a player into a marking contest that Rance and Co. don't lunge forward -- with nobody behind them -- claiming that they were pushed in the back by the ghost of a former Collingwood great.
npalm 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:56 pm

^^^ 😃
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:05 pm

SwansWay wrote:
Hawthorn made so many skill errors that they might as well have forfeited to save some energy for next week. I don't think Richmond dominated quite as much as it seems at a cursory glance. The young players significantly let the Hawks down. They choked. I lost count of the amount of double-fisted punches by Hawks defenders last night when they could've easily taken a mark instead. All things considered they only lost by 5 goals..

Au contrare, I thought it was the Hawks older players that barely fired a shot.

Poppy missed that mark when they were about 10 down, Burgoyne was whacked by Cotchin, missed the shot and didn't get loose for the game. Breust missed a soda. Isaac the running man ran 15 kms and touched it with effect probably twice. Rough kicked 3 but was practically unsighted. Gunston may as well have been Norman talking to Gough. They helped lose it by omitting Schoenmakers for Howe, when Howe should have been initially included and Ceglar not at all. Big boy wasn't too bad, for mine it was the young hawks that kept them in it.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:07 pm

npalm wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Hawthorn can take the video to AFL house if they want but it all looked legal to me. If you're good enough you can break tackles.

I wasn't talking about tackles. I was referring to the tactic that has crept into the game in recent times of pushing opposition players into a crowded marking contest. Its the way that Howe suffered concussion when Moore's knee collected him in the head. Would never have happened if he hadn't been (illegally) pushed into the contest.
Richmond seem to be the worst for this. I suspect they have practised it as a training drill. As far as I'm aware this tactic should be paid a free kick for 'interference in a marking contest'.

I knew what you were talking about as it has stood out to me that Richmond have adopted that tactic. It works well because they generally aren't copping frees against them. I assume they spend time training to make it look accidental. If we were playing Richmond in a final I would expect that a highlight package of examples would be delivered to the umpire's department early in the week.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:02 pm

Well, Phil Davis (explaining his altercation with Franklin on Saturday) came out and pretty bluntly said Franklin pushed him into a couple of marking contests in the previous encounter...

I have no idea why the media said nothing at the time about the concussion-causing push on Howe.

The AFL asleep at the wheel again, it seems.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:30 pm

On Footy Classified...
Lloyd's take: Cox getting to the contest too early, planting both feet; needs to run the angles.
Judd adds: players overkick in finals and balls carry 5m further, because of the adrenaline.
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:43 pm

K wrote:
Well, Phil Davis (explaining his altercation with Franklin on Saturday) came out and pretty bluntly said Franklin pushed him into a couple of marking contests in the previous encounter...

I have no idea why the media said nothing at the time about the concussion-causing push on Howe.

Well we can't expect much from an organisation who can't even juggle two finals games without causing a break disparity between teams. I think they're becoming a joke at best and a dictatorship at worst.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:41 am

^ That started about 30 years ago
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:16 pm

SwansWay wrote:
K wrote:

Well we can't expect much from an organisation who can't even juggle two finals games without causing a break disparity between teams. I think they're becoming a joke at best and a dictatorship at worst.

I've been saying for the best part of 10 years - The AFL is the most arrogant sports organisation in Australia.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:56 am

^ So you didn't think they were arrogant when they tried to force clubs to merge and/or move interstate, or when they built Waverly?
First To Twenty Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:37 am

Yep... Amongst other things
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
^ That started about 30 years ago

Try at least 40 years ago.

I recall the very loud booing when Aylett was called forward to present the 78 premiership cup.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:32 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
npalm wrote:
... I was referring to the tactic that has crept into the game in recent times of pushing opposition players into a crowded marking contest. Its the way that Howe suffered concussion when Moore's knee collected him in the head. Would never have happened if he hadn't been (illegally) pushed into the contest.

I knew what you were talking about as it has stood out to me that Richmond have adopted that tactic. It works well because they generally aren't copping frees against them. I assume they spend time training to make it look accidental. If we were playing Richmond in a final I would expect that a highlight package of examples would be delivered to the umpire's department early in the week.

Was this obvious in the games against us? The video of the 2nd game didn't show much except the already known examples of manhandling Cox (probably only a small fraction of all infringements against him) and shoving Howe. It really needs close-up camera of all marking contests.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:40 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-17/big-pie-happy-being-the-arrogant-american

"He wouldn't be drawn on whether he feels he is not getting the free kicks he deserves for marking infringements, a point alluded to by his coach Nathan Buckley earlier this season. Cox has kicked two goals in each of his games against the Tigers this season."
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:58 pm

K wrote:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-17/big-pie-happy-being-the-arrogant-american

"He wouldn't be drawn on whether he feels he is not getting the free kicks he deserves for marking infringements, a point alluded to by his coach Nathan Buckley earlier this season. Cox has kicked two goals in each of his games against the Tigers this season."

You'd reckon these clowns got try to get basic facts right.

Quote:
But big decisions aren't foreign to the game's foreigner: he left a soccer career in the United States to pursue an opportunity in the AFL with Collingwood.

No, he left a career as an aeronautical engineer in the US. He reckons he can strip an A380 and rebuild it himself. He played soccer in highschool and got picked up to play B ball at college, but neither of them were his career.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 95 of 178   

Jump to: