Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pipped in thriller - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
We had 14 players tonight who had their first taste of finals footy. Tonight's experience will be invaluable for them in the long run.

The fact that we have another opportunity next week is fantastic for the club and I'm sure the boys will learn a lot from tonight and what is required to be a successful team in September.

Agree absolutely, Jezza.

More importantly, Treolar will be much better for the run. He looked out of sorts and, despite his possession stats, was largely ineffectual. He was basically off the pace. I'm not sure if I was reading too much into it but he almost looked like he was scared of being hit in a big tackle and, as a result, appeared to rush almost every disposal.

Looking forward to next week.

tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:28 pm

^ they were onto Treloar as soon as he got the ball and gave him no time and space, resulting in the hurries kicks. Yes, should be better for the run.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Abdul The Bull wrote:
Jezza wrote:
We had 14 players tonight who had their first taste of finals footy. Tonight's experience will be invaluable for them in the long run.

The fact that we have another opportunity next week is fantastic for the club and I'm sure the boys will learn a lot from tonight and what is required to be a successful team in September.

Agree absolutely, Jezza.

More importantly, Treolar will be much better for the run. He looked out of sorts and, despite his possession stats, was largely ineffectual. He was basically off the pace. I'm not sure if I was reading too much into it but he almost looked like he was scared of being hit in a big tackle and, as a result, appeared to rush almost every disposal.

Treloar was terrible, but I think playing him was the right move. We're not winning the flag without him, and he'll be much better for the run. I don't think he was scared of being tackled, I think he was just struggling with the pace of the game. He'll be better this week.

uncanny 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:38 pm

Loved reading the posts about the footy ability, guts and spirit of this side. So close but no cigar. Big chance next week. So glad to have the opportunity to be there to cheer on the boys. Let's fill it up like the tiges did last year when they played em. None of that classless booing of the weagles nuffies either. If in two minds on going, go and bring a friend or three. How good would it be to get a chance to knock of the tigers? Which they could well do. Go woods.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:40 pm

WHE up the ground was a good move. He was class after half time, one touch at ground level and overhead. I wouldve liked to see sstephenson be given that opportunity at some stage too though.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:45 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
Abdul The Bull wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Agree absolutely, Jezza.

Treloar was terrible, but I think playing him was the right move. We're not winning the flag without him, and he'll be much better for the run. I don't think he was scared of being tackled, I think he was just struggling with the pace of the game. He'll be better this week.

Yep, no matter how fit you are, you don't get "touch" without actually playing, especially in a final. Which makes Goldy's performance all the more remarkable. Experience does help

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:11 pm

I really thought we'd win last night but of course it wasn't to be. We were gallant though, and took them all the way, forcing them to beat us. This team gave all that they could. Some lead by example while others were exposed for their lack of experience. Finals football is another level, something more than half our side will learn and benefit from. We matched it with the second best team, in a qualifying final, on their turf all night. Sure we missed opportunities but we had a red hot go and no real Collingwood supporter would deny that. The umpiring was appalling. Free kicks paid against us whenever we had a surge of momentum. We live to fight another day and hopefully slay the giants next week. Go Pies.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Anyone who thinks that we lost the game last night because we lacked effort in the last quarter has pretty much got rocks in their head!

Quite a bit of luck went the Eagles way - i.e., had Varcoe not slipped heading towards goal would've had us 10pts up, Adams concussed & going off for a spell etc., but most of all those dodgy frees plucked out some of which I have never seen awarded in my nearly 45 odd yrs of watching footy.

Let's be honest here, if at the start of the year we were all told we'd finish 4th who wouldn't be ecstatic?

Win against the Giants next Saturday night & anything is possible.
So we mightn't beat RICH the following week but I'd rather lose to them in a Prelim than a GF!

It's all good people, our players are getting the finals experience they need & will be better for it come 2019 & beyond!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:12 pm

I hate gallant efforts and all of the backslapping that comes with it. We fumbled, stumbled and tumbled at the most inopportune times. That was more critical to the outcome than umpires.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:21 pm

^

You are close to winning a free cactus suppository for being the most prickly arsehole on Nicks.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:41 pm

Nine news. Checkers on crutches
Scans to come

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:09 pm

inxs88 wrote:
I hate gallant efforts and all of the backslapping that comes with it. We fumbled, stumbled and tumbled at the most inopportune times. That was more critical to the outcome than umpires.

I don’t know how much of the game you watched. The stumble of Varcoe running towards goals was caused by the ground giving way underneath his foot. If you watch the replay on HD TV you can see the muddy divot left behind from Varcoe sliding into the turf. There were numerous other incidents with players on both sides slipping and sliding on the turf. It’s a new ground with fresh grass giving rise to an unstable surface which will settle down with age. We also slipped and slided on the same ground 2 weeks ago against Fremantle. Are you implying that these weren’t gallant efforts because we fumbled, stumbled and tumbled? I understand you don’t like losing but you could at least recognise the efforts of the players who busting their guts on behalf of the supporters last night.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:12 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

I don’t know how much of the game you watched. The stumble of Varcoe running towards goals was caused by the ground giving way underneath his foot. If you watch the replay on HD TV you can see the muddy divot left behind from Varcoe sliding into the turf. There were numerous other incidents with players on both sides slipping and sliding on the turf. It’s a new ground with fresh grass giving rise to an unstable surface which will settle down with age. We also slipped and slided on the same ground 2 weeks ago against Fremantle. Are you implying that these weren’t gallant efforts because we fumbled, stumbled and tumbled? I understand you don’t like losing but you could at least recognise the efforts of the players who busting their guts on behalf of the supporters last night.

I'm admiring of efforts but my response was geared around our "controllables" vs things such as umpires and the ground. Eagles players never seemed to slip and as an umpire hater from way back (hello Peter Cameron) there were some odd decisions, however our fate was sealed by our own critical mistakes.

Bleedblackanwhite 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Bleedblackanwhite wrote:
I wish people would put things into perspective sometimes, just sometimes.

One of the more smarter posts in this thread.

I posted in the pre game thread that I felt this was the last match up we would want in the finals series. The eagles in Perth. They didn’t finish second on the ladder from a lottery result.
The Giants at the G will be a different story. They play like we do, so we won’t have to tweak our game style. Davis is a very good player but he doesn’t zone off his opponent, so he will be easier to kick around and Kelly won’t play.
Curbing Whitfield will be a priority.
I like this match up a lot more.
Bring it on.

Agreed. I’m just as heartbroken as anyone else but I like to just keep things in perspective and not let emotions dictate my judgement.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:50 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
... Davis is a very good player but he doesn’t zone off his opponent, so he will be easier to kick around and Kelly won’t play.
Curbing Whitfield will be a priority.

Can we just hide him at Gubby's house for the entire match?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18   

Jump to: