Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies lash Lions - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a pretty game of footy by any stretch but very pleasing that they were able to restructure and overcome.
I thought Adams was huge in the first half when the game was on the line and we needed someone to curb the flow, so to speak. (How important is he to our structure!?)
JDG was huge and his touch will only get better.
Aish looked (almost) like he's hardly missed a game. He will be much better for the run.
Langdon was great down back.
Sier was another stand out for mine and appears to be improving week on week.
Chris Mayne was a great contributor and deserved the praise.
Grundy was BOG in my opinion and it's no coincidence that when he excels the team performs that much better. I feel he is our most important player.

I'm looking forward to the challenge next week and hope that we can get the biscuits against a team that will be hurting and desperate for a win.

Floreat Pica!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Do you wish there were any?
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:00 pm

got the job done and that's all that matters. no injuries helps too and we're one step closer to finals. just wish we had a full list to choose from.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:36 pm

^ yes, exactly, got job done, good effort, Lions were hot, had smashed hawks twice, good form so we did pretty well. Finals beckon now bigtime, finally. !!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:19 pm

Brisbane have Martin, Beams, Rich, Zorko, Robinson, Hodge as pretty seasoned campaigners, as well as Taylor, Hipwood, Harris. They’ve had a mostly good year. Beaten Hawks twice. Should’ve taken Adelaide and North, and got close to us earlier in the year. Was always a danger game. But! They’re one paced. As soon as their run n gun game was stifled by us after quarter time, it was a walk in the park. If not for some typically bizarre decision making inside F50, where we like to make the easy look difficult, it was a 50 point win. No mean feat considering the stadium (fast paced, perfect for Brisbane’s style), and our defensive line up (the most inexperienced and weak defence we’ve likely ever put on the park in recent memory).

Bank the 5 goal win, Aish and JDG make strong returns, and we end Port’s season next week.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Score line flattered Brisbane. If not for a sluggish start and some sloppy work inside 50, they were destroyed.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:15 pm

I hope before we next play Hawthorn Bucks sits down and watches the first half of this Brisbane game again.

For mine the first quarter was very reminiscent of how Hawthorn has consistently broken our game plan apart since 2012.

Brisbane like Hawthorn many times before were able to use a patient and effective kicking game to keep possession and hit up targets as we looked to zone off in guarding space.

This ability to find loose men and the subsequent pressure that came on our defenders from the repeated inside 50 entries saw us desperately trying to clear the ball only to hand it straight back.

It gave me flashbacks of our worst performances against Hawthorn but thankfully at quarter time we readjusted and were able to successfully implement a more contested man on man style and denied Brisbane the time and space they desired.

Basically we backed in our individual talent to beat theirs and lifted our intensity level (It was bruise free football until then).

This is exactly what must happen against Hawthorn or any side that looks to mimic that style against us (West Coast?) as sitting back and zoning off just hands them the game on their terms.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Good points Swoop. I really think that the coaching staff decided to try to beat WC without making those adjustments that could win us a final against them.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:03 am

swoop42 wrote:
I hope before we next play Hawthorn Bucks sits down and watches the first half of this Brisbane game again.

For mine the first quarter was very reminiscent of how Hawthorn has consistently broken our game plan apart since 2012.

Brisbane like Hawthorn many times before were able to use a patient and effective kicking game to keep possession and hit up targets as we looked to zone off in guarding space.

This ability to find loose men and the subsequent pressure that came on our defenders from the repeated inside 50 entries saw us desperately trying to clear the ball only to hand it straight back.

It gave me flashbacks of our worst performances against Hawthorn but thankfully at quarter time we readjusted and were able to successfully implement a more contested man on man style and denied Brisbane the time and space they desired.

Basically we backed in our individual talent to beat theirs and lifted our intensity level (It was bruise free football until then).

This is exactly what must happen against Hawthorn or any side that looks to mimic that style against us (West Coast?) as sitting back and zoning off just hands them the game on their terms.

Interesting observation which rings true, thoug it could also just be that we didn’t pressure them enough when they had the ball in hand. Hoskin-Elliott said at half time that they needed to step up their pressure on the Bruins. I confess I have some fear of meeting Hawthorn in the finals and I’d like to have had another shot at them since R1.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9   

Jump to: