Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Glorifying the Villain

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redlight 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The consequences of what Gaff did are terrible, however I don't believe for a second that he intended to injure Brayshaw - his immediate contrition was very compelling. He's copped his right whack in terms of weeks but even Brayshaw's brother speaks very highly of Gaff as an individual.

It was a perfect storm and what would've been a chest punch in a thousand other similar incidents became a serious assault. I'm jumping on board the 'no-punching' bandwagon. Those jumper punches and the like have to go lest we have to deal with this again, maybe even worse next time.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:04 am

think positive wrote:
glasseyevfx wrote:
Our media outlets need to take a good hard look at themselves.

Barry Hall - renown for his thuggery = plumb media job
Wayne Carey - Lets stick his mug under Anthony Stevens nose every week
Gary Lyon - no reason to take him out of the public eye.

dead set - what sort of message are we sending

Don't care how many goals this lot have kicked we shouldn't be listening or looking at them.

This I agree with. And Leigh Matthews.

And Giaan Rooney. I still can't believe that with her history she has become a channel nine "personality".
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Most Commentators are Morons
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:24 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
think positive wrote:
glasseyevfx wrote:

Don't care how many goals this lot have kicked we shouldn't be listening or looking at them.

And Giaan Rooney. I still can't believe that with her history she has become a channel nine "personality".

What did she do? Google turns up nothing!

Pipes1970 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:47 pm

Yeah what did she do?
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:34 am

think positive wrote:
think positive wrote:
glasseyevfx wrote:

What did she do? Google turns up nothing!

That’s surprising.

I think it was the 2006 Commonwealth Games when she was the swimming team captain. She was interviewed before the games stating that she was retiring and hoped to go out with golds in the 100 and 200 metre backstroke. She was favoured to win both.

I can’t remember which event was first but she came second in the final, narrowly beaten by the Australian Sophie Eddington. She didn’t congratulate Eddington in the pool then completely ignored her on the dais.

In the final of the next event the same thing occurred. Once again Rooney ignored her in the pool. Rooney did not even attend the medal ceremony, leaving one of her team mates on the dais with only a bronze medalist next to her. Probably Eddington’s greatest sporting achievement of her life and the captain of the Australian team did that.

Rooney most likely already had her deal with channel nine arranged. Do you know what the channel nine commentators said about her petulant performance? Absolutely nothing, they pretended it wasn’t happening, which is hard to do when they live broadcast a medal presentation and the silver medallist is not there. I would not have a person like that representing my business but obviously nine doesn’t care.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:24 am

She sat next to me on a flight from Melb to Sydney. very nice young lady. But what her role in this sad saga is has me stuffed. But then Nicole Livingstone is in charge of womens footy with no experience at management ot football.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:53 am

Redlight wrote:
The consequences of what Gaff did are terrible, however I don't believe for a second that he intended to injure Brayshaw - his immediate contrition was very compelling. He's copped his right whack in terms of weeks but even Brayshaw's brother speaks very highly of Gaff as an individual.

It was a perfect storm and what would've been a chest punch in a thousand other similar incidents became a serious assault. I'm jumping on board the 'no-punching' bandwagon. Those jumper punches and the like have to go lest we have to deal with this again, maybe even worse next time.

I'm in agreement with you on this one. Players have been getting away with jumper punches lately not realising the consequences of their actions through mis-execution. A punch to the stomach can hurt, though not as severe obviously as a punch to the face. A blanket one match minimum ban by the AFL on any punch to the body would stop it. Players in Gaff's position can fend off their opponent in the way Dusty Martin does. That way neither player is hurt. Gaff has learned a very expensive lessen that could cost him a premiership medal. Isn't that punishment enough or do people want their pound of flesh, as in Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice?
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:53 am

No, more likely as in Silence Of The Lambs. With a nice glass of chianti.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:00 pm

Glasseye, nobody's 'glorifying' Gaff.

Have you never made a mistake or done the wrong thing ?

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:30 pm

You know, yeah, I've made mistakes but then I've never murdered anyone either.

I tell you what I used to work in a night club - I've seen a pregnant woman jump on the back of a bouncer a and then run to the local news to report it the next day. I've had blokes begging me to let them take a guy out the back because, "on my daughters eyes he's a pedo". But this BS isn't nearly line ball.

Gaff was being tagged in the game and he lost his cool. That's it; action, reaction now the consequences. He has had a sports punishment for a cowardly assault - the guy didn't expect it, its not in the rules.

Picture this, tomorrow he meets up with Brayshaw on the street and Brayshaw clocks him - the piece of ... goes down with the same injury, do you give him 8 weeks too, or does he line up for a court date like he should?

When I see Barry Hall, or Greg Williams on the front bar can you honestly say their past misdeeds aren't being 'Glorified'. You mark it - in ten years time the encounter will be treated as 'he was quite the lad'

its wrong

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:17 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Redlight wrote:

I'm in agreement with you on this one. Players have been getting away with jumper punches lately not realising the consequences of their actions through mis-execution. A punch to the stomach can hurt, though not as severe obviously as a punch to the face. A blanket one match minimum ban by the AFL on any punch to the body would stop it. Players in Gaff's position can fend off their opponent in the way Dusty Martin does. That way neither player is hurt. Gaff has learned a very expensive lessen that could cost him a premiership medal. Isn't that punishment enough or do people want their pound of flesh, as in Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice?

The way Dusty does? With a jab to the throat? Wow that would be so much better!

The jumper punch is bullshit, Hawkins is a classic jumper puncher, another reason to detest him

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:18 pm

No, more likely as in Silence Of The Lambs. With a nice glass of chianti.

And your cheap shoes!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: