Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many weeks for Gaff?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

7 weeks if the mrp is softish

8+ if we are serious about this kind violence in our sport.

Guys get niggled everyweek- rise above it.

It’s not like he’ll never play again.

Marley Williams
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/collingwood-s-williams-spared-jail-for-..

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:14 am

Having seen the footage again and reconsidering whether this could have been a jumper punch gone wrong, I'd say almost certainly not. Gaff's response to what he did was not one of "oh ##!# that's not what I had intended". His immediate response was to calmly jog away, not show concern for Brayshaw's well being or to apologise.

I don't see it being graded anything other than intentional. And with the initial grading of impact as severe, and again I don't see how that can be argued, this is in Barry Hall territory of 10 weeks. With Bugg's high impact hit at 6 weeks, the absolute minimum would have to be 8. The only other consideration here is whether Bugg or Hall had extra loading due to a bad record. There is no longer any automatic bad record loading and no reduction for a good record.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:02 am

Donny wrote:
think positive wrote:
Brayshaw was niggling him behind play too. The umpire should have stopped it. Not defending Gaff at all, just adding perspective.

Agree.

This was an accident/incident waiting to happen. No, it's not netball but this relentless scragging (jumper punches, trash talking etc.) of a players' opponent, even before the first bounce, should've been dealt with a few years ago.

Gaff will pay, big time, but it's unfortunate that a previously considered fair player was involved in the incident with Brayshaw.

I think there is plenty of agreement here :

1. Gaff needs to get around 6-8 weeks.
2. The niggling off the ball needs to stop. It’s wrong in principle, and it leads to incidents like this. Gaff should not have done it, but any of us can snap when subjected to this type of rubbish. Provocation is always a reasonable plea in mitigation, and might take a week or two off the base 8-week sentence here.
3. A red card seems appropriate for this type of severe incident where the affected player is unable to continue. It should be enacted sparingly and include video review.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Agree with all of that, great post
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Skids wrote:
8 - 10 weeks.

So if Gaff had whacked [for example] Haydn Ballantyne in the moosh for the same result, would everybody still be up in arms over it?!

Or would we have said "too bad, so sad, but he had it coming, long overdue" etc?

K 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:55 pm

Looking back, I think Hall should have got a suspension at least in double figures. Don't know how he got off so lightly.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:07 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Donny wrote:
think positive wrote:
Brayshaw was niggling him behind play too. The umpire should have stopped it. Not defending Gaff at all, just adding perspective.

Agree.

This was an accident/incident waiting to happen. No, it's not netball but this relentless scragging (jumper punches, trash talking etc.) of a players' opponent, even before the first bounce, should've been dealt with a few years ago.

Gaff will pay, big time, but it's unfortunate that a previously considered fair player was involved in the incident with Brayshaw.

I think there is plenty of agreement here :

1. Gaff needs to get around 6-8 weeks.
2. The niggling off the ball needs to stop. It’s wrong in principle, and it leads to incidents like this. Gaff should not have done it, but any of us can snap when subjected to this type of rubbish. Provocation is always a reasonable plea in mitigation, and might take a week or two off the base 8-week sentence here.
3. A red card seems appropriate for this type of severe incident where the affected player is unable to continue. It should be enacted sparingly and include video review.

1. 6-8 is on the low side, but we'll know soon.
2. We can say that this needs to stop, but it's a separate conversation for mine. The niggling is constant, it happens all the time. Incidents like Gaff's are rare (let's say three in a decade), so I don't think it can be claimed as an expected response or something "anyone" might do. And how many of us watched the game? There seems to be an assumption that Brayshaw is somewhat to blame because of his niggling, but I've not seen anyone go into detail as to what he actually did.

I don't think there should be any mitigation for niggling at all. I've not heard of that being taken into account previously. The only way it would even be considered is if Brayshaw did something completely out of the norm and I seriously doubt it. This justifies Gaff's actions as much as bad traffic justifies serious assaults as a result of road rage.

The only way this attack is not of the absolute worst kind is if it was accidental. It's hard for me to believe that given he jogged away after it. He didn't show any of the distress he has since. There can be reasons for that, but it makes it difficult for me to believe the outcome was unintended. Regardless, it shouldn't matter much in terms of punishment. If you intentionally punch someone you're responsible for the consequences.

3. Agree

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:29 pm

8 weeks it is. I think this was the lowest acceptable suspension, but it'll do.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:55 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
8 weeks it is. I think this was the lowest acceptable suspension, but it'll do.

Agreed.

Mrp got it right this time.

Not too much - not too little.

Precedent upheld - lessons learnt- justice for the injured.

Greening should be enough evidence of just out pear shaped brain farts can go - and that is well beyond football.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:17 pm

^ This sort of "off the ball" should've stopped AT Greening, yet here we are nearly 50yrs on & nothing's changed!

Shame!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:48 pm

He should never be allowed to play again. Remind me what Heater got for a trivial bet.

Sidey got about 5 weeks (reduced to 3 for a good record) for a mistimed challenge at the centre bounce. I can’t believe that this wasn’t viewed as being at least 10 times as bad. This penalty certainly should have been measured in seasons, not weeks. The only mitigating circumstance is that he doesn’t play for Carlton.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:20 pm

Can you imagine for 1sec if a COLL player did what Gaff did?

Instant ban!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
K 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:44 pm

Gaff incident: Deliberate hit to wrong area is still a low blow

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/gaff-incident-deliberate-hit-to-wrong-area-is-still-a-low-blow-20180806-p4zvrj.html

"Jimmy Bartel has reasoned – and again on The Age Real Footy Podcast this week – that football and non-football acts should be judged differently. Punching and elbowing are not parts of the game so an elbow or punch should be punished more heavily than say a late bump or a spoil that is slightly awry.

Gaff committed a non-football act. It might not have been the one he thought he was committing but he committed it and what happened next falls on him."
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:46 am

For the last 10 years or more geefrickenlong have been all about off ball and onball niggling crossing the line and getting away with it, I don’t actually mind Bartel, but I’ll take that with a grain of salt.

The umps need to clamp down on it, it’s been going on far too long. That Freo player mentioned above a classic example of a hired thug. I guess it will be interesting now. Hopefully no more pushes into the boundary fence.

Anyway, he’s shown remorse, I genuinely believe him, and if Leigh Matthews got redemption any one should be able to.

Good liuck to young Brayshaw.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:11 am

Outraged by footy violence? Well don't celebrate it

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/outraged-by-footy-violence-well-don-t-celebrate-it-20180807-p4zw41.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: