Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post inauguration Trump:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Yeah, sure. A shame that so many real people's lives are at stake, though...
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:34 pm

Oh. I did not know that.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:07 pm

David wrote:
^ Yeah, sure. A shame that so many real people's lives are at stake, though...

On the evidence to date, not that many people have been affected by Trump’s depredations. GW Bush harmed many more. Trump’s real danger, so far, has been to America’s democratic traditions and institutional processes, not so much to many fellow humans.

The Paris accord and his choice for tax cuts over fiscal responsibility will almost certainly cause long term harm, but there is room for some uncertainty over both. Some illegal immigrants have been roughly handled, which is regrettable, but his actions there have not been fundamentally worse than our government undertakes with less cause.

I despise Agent Orange, but I think it’s easy to confuse his assault on decency, intelligence and adult sensibilities with actual worldly harm. Hopefully, in about 2.25 years, this farcical administration will pass like a bad dream, and the better parts of America will re-emerge.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:30 pm

If Trump loses in 2020 then it'll be to a left wing crazy in the Bernie Sanders mold. American politics might be a less refined, impolite and bellicose game than under Obama, but you can't deny that Trump loves his country and is trying to fix it. Like John Howard just said, let him make his mistakes and learn from them, he's not doing as shit a job as the media and lefties with Trump Derangement Syndrome would have you believe.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:17 pm

Wokko wrote:
If Trump loses in 2020 then it'll be to a left wing crazy in the Bernie Sanders mold. American politics might be a less refined, impolite and bellicose game than under Obama, but you can't deny that Trump loves his country and is trying to fix it. Like John Howard just said, let him make his mistakes and learn from them, he's not doing as shit a job as the media and lefties with Trump Derangement Syndrome would have you believe.

At the risk of Godwin’s law, there is no doubt that Hitler loved his country and was trying to fix it. The bar is much higher than that. I doubt his ability to learn from mistakes because I see no capacity in the man to do so.

I agree with the thrust of some of his policies - especially border control, resistance to Islamization, and pressuring China on its predatory trade and IP practices - but success is always about nuance and execution, as well as direction. A good strategy appallingly executed wins no more battles than a bad strategy.

More broadly, America has many serious problems which more of this kind of right-wing politics is unlikely to fix. Fiscal irresponsibility, the highest Gini coefficient in the developed world, insulting and alienating fellow democracies, arbitrary cosiness with septic dictatorships (why NK and not Iran?), rank protectionism and the sowing of social discord from the Oval Office - these will not restore America’s grandeur. Neither will it restore the US to grandeur to raise to such eminence a man whose leadership skills and intellectual capacities are so obviously poor.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:26 am

I honestly don’t think Trump really loves anything but himself. Like most politicians, he comes across pretty transparently as a raging narcissist. The difference with other politicians is that many others take their jobs seriously and want to do it to the best of their abilities; I get the feeling that Trump likes being president but doesn’t actually want to put the hard yards in.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:35 am

David wrote:
I honestly don’t think Trump really loves anything but himself. Like most politicians, he comes across pretty transparently as a raging narcissist. The difference with other politicians is that many others take their jobs seriously and want to do it to the best of their abilities; I get the feeling that Trump likes being president but doesn’t actually want to put the hard yards in.

Many others? I call bullshit, and I reckon that’s why trump got elected. Sick of the corrupt system, so let’s teach the system a lesson.

What exactly has he done that’s caused harm? I don’t follow Aussie politics, let alone any others! So genuine question.

I just asked hubby, and he said he has invigorated the aconomy, decreased unemployment and he’s running the country like a businessman not a politician.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:41 am

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jul/18/unc-coach-concussion-military-college-football

"UNC coach says softening of football could bring down America and military" - I'll just leave the link, in case anyone wants to read it.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:39 am

Swoop and others, I highly recommend checking out the first twenty minutes or so of this recent Noam Chomsky interview, in which he discusses the historical context of ‘Russiagate’:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1EgaHvr_fFg

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:10 pm

Another excellent article:

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/07/its-time-for-a-little-perspective-on-russia

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:17 am

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/22/conservative-despair-republicans-trump

A conservative perspective from someone who didn't feel the need to take his brain out of his skull before considering Trump.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:54 am

David wrote:
Another excellent article:

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/07/its-time-for-a-little-perspective-on-russia

Good read. Hypocrisy has always been a cornerstone of U.S. exceptionalism.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:41 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/22/conservative-despair-republicans-trump

A conservative perspective from someone who didn't feel the need to take his brain out of his skull before considering Trump.

There is nothing conservative about Trump, but then, there is nothing very conservative about modern America. Certainly not the Republicans, with their penchant for war (the ultimate unconservative act), their fiscal irresponsibility, and their preference for partisanship over the national interest. That’s not to endorse the Democrats, though on balance o think they are a more conservative force than the Republican Party ; I t’s just to point out that modern America, like most Western nations, lacks a party with a genuine conservative philosophy. This is partly why the West is losing power so quickly to the more genuinely conservative Asian cultures.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:07 am

Anyone else seen his all-caps Twitter rant about Iran? For the good of the species, someone disable his account, please.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:44 am

David wrote:
Anyone else seen his all-caps Twitter rant about Iran? For the good of the species, someone disable his account, please.

No worse than his earlier stuff about NK before KJU became his bestest buddy. One of several positives in his bedding down KJU, is that it proves his Twittering is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury. Moreover, given Iranian leadership’s predilection for “Death to America” and “The Great Satan” rhetoric, I’m not sure this is all that significant beyond piling on evidence of his grotesque unfitness for office.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
Page 97 of 222   

Jump to: