Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is this a sexist slur?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
Eh. Cory “Common Sense Does Not Live Here” Bernardi is pretty much the king of bad takes, so I’ll take his assessments on parliamemtary behaviour with a grain of salt.

I don’t know much about him, but prompted by your blanket dismissal I just spent half an hour reading several of his blogs. His “common sense” seems to consist of fairly orthodox conservative positions, which may be unfashionable, but are probably closer to what most people believe than your views. I was pleased to see someone advocating values that underpinned the relatively gentle and respectful society we used to have.

So do you mean you disagree with him, or has he genuinely really been off with the fairies somewhere ? Has he any record of unparliamentary behaviour?

He strikes me as a self-righteous blowhard who is very happy to dish it out but doesn’t like to get it back in return. His comments that same-sex marriage would lead to people marrying their pets is just one example of his exquisite grip on reality in action. He also left the Liberal Party because Turnbull is too left-wing and a “warmist” to boot. The “interjections” that he accuses Hanson-Young of probably relate to her calling him and his ilk fascists for supporting Australia’s detention centres – the sort of thing that people like him think they have the moral high ground on.

Ah, I didn’t realise that he was the fellow who made the comment about marrying pets. It is a valid debating point (reductio ad absurdum about concept boundaries and meaning, etc) but was probably ill-judged given the hyperventilations of the time.

As for objecting to being called a fascist for supporting detention centres, well, of course he would be 100% right to do so. I know that there is little understanding of history among parliamentarians, especially those who are too concerned with “progress” to consider the past informative, but if they think that fascism means excluding people from your borders, well, many Europeans of the 1930s should have been so lucky.

As for being a “warmist”, well, I disagree with the anti-AGW view strongly, but I do not think that holding it makes you loopy. Fashionable opinion has been wrong about complicated questions before.

I still find it concerning that the Left think that their opponents are not just wrong, but either malevolent (fascist) or psychologically sick (phobic, delusional etc). It’s a very disturbing mindset to have in a free society..

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:18 am

I don't think he's psychologically sick, I just think he's a joke.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:34 am

^

Yes, but you've clearly experienced a form of awakening in regard to the attitude of many on the left, being called racist and sexist yourself I gather, by blinkered, slogan repeating idealists, for putting forward views that don't fit in their thought bubble.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:39 am

David wrote:
I don't think he's psychologically sick, I just think he's a joke.

I trust you know enough history to know that he’s not a fascist, so I wasn’t thinking of you. But the phobia language is on one side of politics.

As to whether he’s a joke or not, well, you’re entitled to laugh at anything you please. But his point of view strikes me as less whimsical than some others, and broadly part of a great liberal political tradition. I would not join his party, which seems to me To bear the whiff of US Republicanism, but there is some substance to a lot of his positions, and as far as I can tell he conducts himself courteously, compared to Leyonhjelm and SHY.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:48 am

Senator David Leyonhjelm
9 mins ·

Senator Hanson-Young has been admonished for calling other Senators liars, grubs, frauds, white-supremacists, misogynists, nut jobs, corrupt, dodgy, unfit for office, on-the-take, a fool, wacky, racist, bigots, crazy and more.

26 to 1. That's how many times more Hanson-Young has been asked to withdraw comments than I have.

9 of the 10 times another Senator has asked her to withdraw she has refused, just as I refuse to withdraw my one comment merely because Hanson-Young demands it.

And yet, Hanson-Young is portrayed as a meek and humble victim, as an underdog in an oppressive and misogynistic world. But she is not the David in this David and Goliath narrative. She can depend on the sympathy and bias of the politically correct media and the cowardly acquiescence of both the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition.

So I'll put it to you in your own words Ms Hanson-Young, "toughen up petal. If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen".
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:45 pm

Wokko wrote:
Senator David Leyonhjelm
9 mins ·

Senator Hanson-Young has been admonished for calling other Senators liars, grubs, frauds, white-supremacists, misogynists, nut jobs, corrupt, dodgy, unfit for office, on-the-take, a fool, wacky, racist, bigots, crazy and more.

26 to 1. That's how many times more Hanson-Young has been asked to withdraw comments than I have.

9 of the 10 times another Senator has asked her to withdraw she has refused, just as I refuse to withdraw my one comment merely because Hanson-Young demands it.

And yet, Hanson-Young is portrayed as a meek and humble victim, as an underdog in an oppressive and misogynistic world. But she is not the David in this David and Goliath narrative. She can depend on the sympathy and bias of the politically correct media and the cowardly acquiescence of both the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition.

So I'll put it to you in your own words Ms Hanson-Young, "toughen up petal. If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen".

I'd like to think that I can both agree with these comments regards Senator Hanson-Young AND consider Senator Leyonhjelm's previous comments as inappropriate and offensive.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:49 pm

What is the David in this David and Goliath narrative ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: