Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Yellowstone National Park inc day 2!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Nice pics TP. My cuz was over there last year, said it was amazing. Apparently Old faithful is not one of the most impressive geysers, there's several a heap bigger and more spectacular, it's just the most regular hence the name.

Yeah there is quite a few, as u say old faithful goes off like clockwork, they actually have a clock that tells you the next time due! Depending on the time of year it goes off every 45 to 90 min! It was freezing and pouring so it was nice to sit in the lodge with a hot choc until she was ready to blow! Lasted a good 10-15 min, just amazing. Did your cuz go anywhere else?

Yeah, he went with his GF and his sister and her BF. They hired a big RV and drove around. Apart from Yellowstone they went to some place with the giant redwoods, Frisco, Vegas, Death Valley, Bonneville salt flats, whole bunch of joints. His sister had the whole thing planned out and he reckons he'll never travel with her again. Laughing

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:41 pm

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Nice pics TP. My cuz was over there last year, said it was amazing. Apparently Old faithful is not one of the most impressive geysers, there's several a heap bigger and more spectacular, it's just the most regular hence the name.

Yeah there is quite a few, as u say old faithful goes off like clockwork, they actually have a clock that tells you the next time due! Depending on the time of year it goes off every 45 to 90 min! It was freezing and pouring so it was nice to sit in the lodge with a hot choc until she was ready to blow! Lasted a good 10-15 min, just amazing. Did your cuz go anywhere else?

Yeah, he went with his GF and his sister and her BF. They hired a big RV and drove around. Apart from Yellowstone they went to some place with the giant redwoods, Frisco, Vegas, Death Valley, Bonneville salt flats, whole bunch of joints. His sister had the whole thing planned out and he reckons he'll never travel with her again. Laughing

lol!
Guessing they drove either way from Yellowstone to Vegas or Utah the redwoods are amazing, they have some near Yosemite and also grand Teton next to Yellowstone. That would be a fabulous road trip as long as you all got along!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:44 pm

KenH wrote:
Just seen these photos, awesome! I love seeing your photos TP!
thanks ken much appreciated,
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:39 pm

Impressive photography, Jo.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:41 am

Thanks Jezza, cheers xxx

all together now - awwww!!

itchy

one more of the bears!

so the second day i tiptoe around the bison in the doorway, and we head off to the Grizzly & wolf sanctuary on the other side of the Park, me driving, and suddenly there is this bright blue pool of bubbling water just next to the road!, just unreal!

This sanctuary is home to grizzlys, wolves, eagles and a few other creatures who for what ever reason can no longer live in the wild. There are three bald eagles, 2 had wing damage, cause unknown, the third was shot, and they will never be able to fly well enough to survive, so they have a really terrific enclosure, and the bears were orphans or nuisance bears, bears that figured out garbage dumps and towns were an easier food source than hunting!

the bears have enclosures out the back, away from the public, either separate or with other bears they get along with. twice a day they are rotated into a big area in the public viewing area for 45 min at a time. before the bears are let into the area, rangers hide food all over the enclosure so the bears move around looking for the food, its really cool, better than bored animals & the donating public!

wheres dinner??

they seem pretty content and are in great nick

ï love you...."

Yeah, nah, not feeling it!!

.... and thats when the fight started!!

this enclosure is home to a small wolf pack that they hope to put back in the Park sometime this year

After a quick look around town we went back into the park, it was pouring & this appeared around the bend:

no where to park, belting rain, so i jumped out the car with my jacket protecting my camera and bolted up the steps and ramps, and man it was so worth getting drenched for!

no photoshop on the colours, and you can see the rain splots on the lens!

not sure what minerals make the colours but the whole area smells like sulpher

Old faithful Geyser, so named because she goes off like clockwork, this was about 10 min to go, still raining

pretty spectacular!

finally stopped raining & this beautiful boy pops out!

you can see the steam all around the shore line & in the hills, just amazing

driving through a cloud, so many beautiful colours _ note the yellow line, all roads have this, even one way streets have it in the gutter, so you know what side you should be on - and hence me occasionally waking in the middle of the night screaming yellow line yellow line! and hubby reply OK i GET it! he doesnt though!! good for the heart rate!

like coming home to a puppy dog!

i let hubby hold the camera - just once! id love to spend a week in this cabin, it had hydroponic heating, and it was just amazing to wake up to free range bison and the view every morning.

he followed me around like a puppy! i so wanted to go give him a hug!

driving back to Cody

just had to stop - did you know that some deer shed their antlers every year? apparently in spring they grow an inch a day!

well worth the trip, just totally amazing, beautiful, unspoiled, cheers

next up the road trip from Vegas to Denver through some amazing places!!

thanks for looking!!

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:27 pm

My sister and her family flew out to the US a couple of days back and after a visit to New York City are planning what I imagine is an extended visit to Yellowstone and possibly other national parks.

Is it safe or recommended to go hiking/camping in Yellowstone with bears present?

I'd rather run into a snake in Australia than a grizzly in the US when out bush walking.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:09 pm

swoop42 wrote:
My sister and her family flew out to the US a couple of days back and after a visit to New York City are planning what I imagine is an extended visit to Yellowstone and possibly other national parks.

Is it safe or recommended to go hiking/camping in Yellowstone with bears present?

I'd rather run into a snake in Australia than a grizzly in the US when out bush walking.

hmm good question! if your experienced maybe, i wouldn't im not agile enough anymore! and i dont reckon i could sleep!
they do have hiking trails, plenty of them, but you'd want bear spray and pretty good idea of what to do with it, even on those trails I’d imagine. We walked up a hill next to the entrance road and were someone offered up bear spray, so we got back down pretty quickly.

I’m sure there is plenty of locals who go off the beaten track. At the Bear sanctuary they had big posters with what to do depending on if the bear was agitated, scared, angry or hungry. personally, id rather avoid them! the red grizzley in the photos above would stand easy 7 foot tall, and weigh, gees, i don't know 300kg?

if they are going to Yosemite (probably the most popular/visited besides Bryce, accommodation books out months in advance, and all we could get was tents with a bear proof box out the front for your toiletries and any food! although the ranger i was talking to at Yellowstone when watching the wild grizzly and her cub said She had worked at Yosemite for 6 months last year, and there arent any bears in the Park. not a chance id take though! Shes been at yellowstone since Christmas and seen heaps of bears. (I want her job!!)

Yellowstone is massive and not as populated , meaning not that many roads for wide open spaces and dense forest, so more remote places for Bears to flourish.

not keen on snakes but year, id take the snake any day!!

where else are they going? i love the National parks there, they are just amazing. very well run. id imagine New York is more of a jungle! though i felt safe there,

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Go hiking with other people. If you run into an agitated bear, you don't need to outrun it to get away, just 1 member of your group.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:48 pm

Hehe like swimming in the surf, just make sure there is a chub chub further out than you!
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:27 am

stui magpie wrote:
Go hiking with other people. If you run into an agitated bear, you don't need to outrun it to get away, just 1 member of your group.

That's a problem when the other members are your husband and 4 kids.

Perhaps they should befriend an obese Trump supporter as insurance?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:15 am

swoop42 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

That's a problem when the other members are your husband and 4 kids.

Perhaps they should befriend an obese Trump supporter as insurance?

They'll probably have come prepared; "loaded for bear" as it were.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: