Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Attacking power has improved

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:02 am
Post subject: Attacking power has improvedReply with quote

Much has been said about the improvement of our defence under Justin Longmuir, which is no doubt evident, but I think the improvement of our attacking power has been remarkable.

We're currently #4 for 'points for' with 1017 points which is an average of 92.45 points a match. Only the top 3 sides in Melbourne (1186), Richmond (1124) and West Coast (1103) sit above us in this statistic.

We've already scored over 100 points in six of eleven matches which is a solid effort, considering the scoring average has been declining steadily across the league.

The last time we averaged over 90 points, we played finals which occurred in 2013 when we averaged 97.63 points a match and this was occurring at a time when scoring was obviously higher across the league.

We've also seen bags of five kicked on five occasions already this season, when this feat only occurred once over the course of the 2016 and 2017 seasons when Alex Fasolo kicked 6 against the Tigers in our thrilling win against them in round 2 2016. The following players who have kicked five or more goals in the game are as follows:

Josh Thomas (5) = Round 3 2018 v Carlton
Jaidyn Stephenson (5) = Round 4 2018 v Adelaide
Jordan De Goey (5) = Round 7 2018 v Brisbane
Jordan De Goey (6) = Round 9 2018 v St Kilda
Will Hoskin-Elliott (6) = Round 11 2018 v Fremantle

It's remarkable we've been able to improve this in area despite the absences of Elliott and Fasolo who were our top goal scorers last year and Cox and Reid have been largely insignificant as our tall forwards.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

How more potent then with a fit and firing Jamie Elliot could it have been

Maybe another 2 or 3 percentage ❓❓

woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:35 am

And Reid and moore barely been seen this year. The problem will be with all the above wanting a turn in the midfield
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:08 am

Multiple goal kickers are a really important ingredient if you want to keep winning in Sept. The good teams usually find it fairly easy to shut down on teams who generally rely on one ( sometimes two ) players to kick the bulk of their goals.
The Swans as good as they are, are a great example of being to Buddy centric and it comes back to haunt them every final series.
I think it also challenges the conversation about prioritising a high profile KPF
like Lynch into your team. You still only pump the ball into your own forward 50 the same amount of times whether Lynch is there or not. I’m not sure I can see a significant advantage by bringing him in and having another noted goal kicker receiving virtually no opportunities in the same game.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:19 am

Media on North’s win “They had 14 different goal scorer,s—I checked and they
sure did (some were multiple goal kickers)

Their top gun Brown kicked two only so that backs up the multiple avenues to goal

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:42 am

We looked a more balanced forward line with just the one tall in Cox, alongside the medium tall, but strong, Mihocek, and the fast moving W-H-E and De Goey. We could still do with a genuine crumber. Hopefully Wells will be better for the run, as he could be the icing on the cake.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:44 am

Let's get back to that later.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:16 pm

woodys_world69 wrote:
And Reid and moore barely been seen this year. The problem will be with all the above wanting a turn in the midfield

Maybe there is something that can be read into that Wink
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:18 am

Excellent post Jezza!

I think it's an across the board thing as well. Grundy has grown into the exceptional ruckman as most of us knew he would, Pendles contnues to do the Matrix stuff, Sidey hasn't been injured and the side has grown as a unit under Bucks.

I've said it in other threads and I stand by it, we will be threatening a top 4 finish this year and are on the cusp of a prolonged period of domination.

Buckley is building a weapon of mass destruction.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:22 pm

I love your confidence Skids, and I think you're starting to be vindicated. I have to admit I haven't been confident in the last few years, but I've always remained cautiously optimistic that the tide would turn after a few down years.

Updated list of 5 or more goals in a match:

Josh Thomas (5) = Round 3 2018 v Carlton
Jaidyn Stephenson (5) = Round 4 2018 v Adelaide
Jordan De Goey (5) = Round 7 2018 v Brisbane
Jordan De Goey (6) = Round 9 2018 v St Kilda
Will Hoskin-Elliott (6) = Round 11 2018 v Fremantle
Mason Cox (5) = Round 12 2018 v Melbourne

It was also the first time since 2011 (Round 19-20) when we've kicked 20 goals or more in consecutive matches, further enhancing the argument that the forward line has substantially improved this year.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:12 pm

These guys are all doing what Fasolo did on the scoreboard occasionally but they offer so much More and they’re all Kids. Faz is no longer required unfortunately. Hopefully the Dockers or Eagles have some need for him and we can do some sort Of trade to get Him home.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:15 pm

Who is required?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:25 pm

We are hitting targets with our disposals by hand and foot, which in turn transfers into goals kicked. Last year we struggled in that area. Improvement is across the board.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:18 pm

Damien wrote:
These guys are all doing what Fasolo did on the scoreboard occasionally but they offer so much More and they’re all Kids. Faz is no longer required unfortunately. Hopefully the Dockers or Eagles have some need for him and we can do some sort Of trade to get Him home.

We won't be trading him, he's an unrestricted free agent. If someone make him an offer and he wants to go, he goes and we get whatever pick the AFL decides, if any.

I hope we offer him a mid range $ 2 year contract and keep him. With our current improvement in delivery he (and Elliot) if fit could get 50+ goals per year each and create more.

You can't have too much class in a squad.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:36 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Damien wrote:

We won't be trading him, he's an unrestricted free agent. If someone make him an offer and he wants to go, he goes and we get whatever pick the AFL decides, if any.

I hope we offer him a mid range $ 2 year contract and keep him. With our current improvement in delivery he (and Elliot) if fit could get 50+ goals per year each and create more.

You can't have too much class in a squad.

Sadly, I think Fas is too slow for the current game. Our forward line working so well at present due mainly to the speed and movement offered by WHE, Stephenson and the resting midfielder in De Goey/Treloar/Sidey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: