Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Anyone notice we are covering injuries a lot better

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:20 pm
Post subject: Anyone notice we are covering injuries a lot betterReply with quote

....isn't it amazing when the squad finally believes in a game plan and executes it as a team. Suddenly we have become a little bit plug and play.

No Reid, No Moore, Now Howe, no worries. Everyone is playing according to Buckley''s genius plan and it doesn't seem to matter who the personnel are. We got 10 goals from WHE and Mihocek this weekend. Thomas and Phillips are now stud goal kickers. DeGoey, Stevenson, you never know who is going to pop up for a bag.

And on defense, it seems to be the same.

Plug AND Play. If you can do it, you are finals bound baby!

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it’s as much about a number of our “ handful of games “ players becoming 30 game plus players and and our next level of 30 game players becoming “ 50 game plus “ players. I feel we have had a bit of untapped talent on our list that just hadn’t had enough time on the park or enough preseasons to start impacting games. Those 10 - 70 game players ( as of today ) are finally in a good position to showcase their talent.
As for plug and play, I hope you’re right but it’s a lot easier to plug and play against cellar dwellers than it is against quality opposition. This week will show a lot more. We need to be thereabouts at worst if we have aspirations of being taken seriously in Sept.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:00 pm

Still need to cherry pick either the Roos or Tigers fitness gurus
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:08 pm

Anyone notice we have a great coach? Cool
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:04 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Always had. Actually to be honest, I didn’t know and still don’t know if he’s a great coach. I DID know that hed been desperately unlucky with injuries and due to the rebuild was dealing with young players.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:41 pm

Link this to the perennial best 22 discussion. We will NEVER have our best 22 on the park. Probably had 6 players last Sunday who would not have been considered best 22 by most. Mick Malthouse always used to say your best 22 is the 22 who Take the field and he was spot on. This is a BIG strength of our team at present. Lots of injuries and lots of Changes but still getting the job done. Not many, if any irreplaceable players on our list. Kudos to the list
Managers, recruiters and Coaches.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:26 am

Pies2016 wrote:
I hope you’re right but it’s a lot easier to plug and play against cellar dwellers than it is against quality opposition. This week will show a lot more. We need to be thereabouts at worst if we have aspirations of being taken seriously in Sept.

Understand the point but I disagree. No club can perform against the best teams with the injury list we had earlier. Neither the Giants or the Crows are coping.

Plug and play, when it's more than just a couple of players, is about still being able to beat the lower teams. We've done that. And some of those "lower" teams are still those that had better 2017 seasons than us and had high hopes for 2018: Bombers, Saints, Dogs.

I think there are a couple of reasons why we are dealing better with injuries: our young players have more experience and aren't the liability they were.

And just as importantly: running and organisation helps everything. We are a better running side than ever and are getting more easy goals. You don't need guns to kick those and that's why we get so many different forwards bobbing up with bags. We had no player kick 5 goals last year, this year we have 5 already. These players didn't all of a sudden become Ablett Snr. In fact they're lesser forwards than Elliott and possibly Fasolo who played last season. We're playing a more sustainable style and it's making the game easier for everyone. We have more open players, so moving the ball is easier, and resulting in many more transition goals.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:29 am

RudeBoy wrote:

What, you're on the Longmuir bandwagon too, Rudey?? Wink
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:38 am

I think that we are batting deeper this year due to the improvement of a few players like Phillips, Thomas, Crisp, Shaz, that were on the fringes of selection last year. Add to that the new recruits that have been getting games.
In saying that, I think we've nearly reached breaking point with the injuries. If we get a couple more, I think the dam wall may burst.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:55 am

Dumbass.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:50 am

RudeBoy wrote:

Those of us who believed in him are certainly pleased our belief, thus far, is being vindicated. There is a long way in the season to go. I am pleased we still have him rather than a new coach many were crying out for.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:38 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
I hope you’re right but it’s a lot easier to plug and play against cellar dwellers than it is against quality opposition. This week will show a lot more. We need to be thereabouts at worst if we have aspirations of being taken seriously in Sept.

Understand the point but I disagree. No club can perform against the best teams with the injury list we had earlier. Neither the Giants or the Crows are coping.

Plug and play, when it's more than just a couple of players, is about still being able to beat the lower teams. We've done that. And some of those "lower" teams are still those that had better 2017 seasons than us and had high hopes for 2018: Bombers, Saints, Dogs.

I think there are a couple of reasons why we are dealing better with injuries: our young players have more experience and aren't the liability they were.

And just as importantly: running and organisation helps everything. We are a better running side than ever and are getting more easy goals. You don't need guns to kick those and that's why we get so many different forwards bobbing up with bags. We had no player kick 5 goals last year, this year we have 5 already. These players didn't all of a sudden become Ablett Snr. In fact they're lesser forwards than Elliott and possibly Fasolo who played last season. We're playing a more sustainable style and it's making the game easier for everyone. We have more open players, so moving the ball is easier, and resulting in many more transition goals.

I probably went with the glass half empty conclusion instead of the glass half full version. I completely agree that we have a system in place that seems to be sustainable and understandable for whoever steps in.
As we both pointed out, some of that is on the back of organic maturity and self belief.
I suppose I was only pointing out, particularly over the last month, that it’s easier for these systems to stand up against lesser opposition than it is against the better teams. Who knows, after Monday, we may finally be seen as one of those better teams.

FWIW - After last round, Pies were attributed to the fifth highest ranking of best 22 players missing over the season to date.
Those above us included Crows, GWS, Cats, Carlton ( I think ) and then us.
On those numbers, you would say that we certainly have done pretty well to currently hold down a spot in the eight.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:41 pm

Of the 22 that played Freo; only 14 of them were in the round 1 loss to Hawthorn,
15 of them played in the round 4 win over the crows and
16 of them in the round 8 loss to cats.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: