Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The ball tampering saga

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Cricket Australia calls in ethics experts for review into culture

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/cricket-australia-calls-in-ethics-experts-for-review-into-culture-20180501-p4zcms.html

Quote:
Captain Tim Paine and star quick Pat Cummins have been chosen as the current players inolved in Rick McCosker's investigation ...

Also on McCosker's panel are former captains Shane Watson and George Bailey, Ashes-winning skipper Rachael Haynes and the yet to be named national coach.

Cummins' involvement is a clear indication he is the strong favourite to become Australia's next Test vice-captain.

The not-for-profit The Ethics Centre will run the four-phase independent review into any wider cultural, organisational and governance issues within CA ...

The reviewers, led by the executive director of The Ethics Centre Dr Simon Longstaff, will interview almost every layer at the top end of the game from board members, CA management and staff; to current and former players, the players union, commercial partners and media.

Watson is representing the Australian Cricketers' Association, which had been agitating for a formal seat on the panel.

Quick (belated) comment:

When it was announced that McCosker would head the review, my immediate reaction was relief that it was not Morris Iemma, who seemed to be publicly lobbying for the job. I don't know much about Iemma, but I don't understand why he thinks he would be well suited to that role, as a mere former politician who, as far as I can tell, has had no meaningful connection to any professional sport.
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:03 am

Conflict sidelines CA director from culture review

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23382771/conflict-sidelines-ca-director-culture-review

Quote:
Michelle Tredenick, a CA director since November 2015, also serves on the board of The Ethics Centre...

... A CA spokesperson confirmed that Tredenick had excused herself from any prior Board discussions relating to the choice of the independent body to conduct the review and the amount of money to be paid for it, and will not be involved in any related discussions until the review is complete.

Tellingly, the terms also state that CA employees and others will be freed from corporate confidentiality clauses in order to speak fully and frankly in interviews.

This review is running concurrently with another inquiry specifically into the culture of Australian teams, to be led by the former Test opening batsman Rick McCosker. ... Peter Collins, director of the Melbourne-based Centre for Ethical Leadership, will play a key role facilitating the teams' review.

The ACA president, Greg Dyer, said that it was critical the reviews were undertaken with a high degree of transparency and independence.

"Culture starts at the top and we welcome investigation in to all aspects of cricket's culture, organisational structure and governance," he said.
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:41 pm

Justin Langer (asked who was responsible for where the line was drawn): "Everyone knows the difference between right and wrong, that's simple.
We get taught that from when you're a little kid from your parents, through school. If our players literally stick to that, right or wrong, they'll be OK, I think."

M. Knox: "So many things have not turned out as planned for this generation of Australian cricketers. Their talent has not been enough to protect them. Talent isn’t everything. Justin Langer’s time has come."

G. Baum: "But the question remains: why now, before the twin reviews into the integrity of Australian cricket even have started, let alone finished? Does this not look as if CA is giving the reviewers not just a list of questions, but one of the answers, pre-emptively?
... Langer may prove to be the right appointment, inspired even. And yet the haste remains a puzzle, as does the rush to say "amen". As ever in cricket, the prudent call would have been "wait"."

D. Brettig: "Langer, a devout Catholic, was a student of Steve Waugh, and shares a reverence for the iconography of the baggy green cap and image of the national team, though balanced with a fervent desire to make life difficult for opponents. How this will square with the new direction charted by Paine remains to be seen."

Justin Langer: "Has he got areas to get better at? Yep. Has Steve Smith? Yep. Has Cameron Bancroft? Yep. Every single person in Australian cricket? Yep. If we can keep mentoring and helping them and they want to get better and meet the standards of the Australian cricket team of course they will be welcomed back."
K 

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:35 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiVyq5XBHc0/?taken-by=steve_smith49

steve_smith49: "It’s great to be back home in Australia. I have had some time away to come to terms with everything and now it’s time to get back into it. The amount of emails and letters I have received has been incredible and I have been extremely humbled by the enormous amount of support you have given me. I now have a lot to do to earn back your trust. To my Mum, Dad and Dani you have been my rock through this and I can’t thank you enough. Family is the most important thing in the world and I thank you for your love and support."
K 

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:33 am

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/justin-langer-leaves-door-open-for-david-warner-20180503-p4zd5j.html

A. Wu wrote:

Exiled batsman David Warner has mended bridges with his teammates as newly appointed Australia coach Justin Langer declared the deposed vice-captain still had a future in the international game.

Sources close to the team have told Fairfax Media the highly charged emotions at the height of the crisis had contributed to the conflict but there was now no animosity from players towards Warner.

It can also be revealed Warner has been in discussions with his grade club Randwick Petersham to play for nothing in the NSW Premier Cricket competition next season.

"He'll play for us next season," club president Mike Whitney told Fairfax Media. "He's indicated to me he'll definitely be available for the first couple of rounds.

"[There's] no payment at all in any way, shape or form - no petrol money, no lunch money, definitely no payment at all."
K 

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:28 am

The deal between athlete and audience is souring

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/the-deal-between-athlete-and-audience-is-souring-20180505-p4zdk1.html

Tim Boyle wrote:

There is a bizarre penchant in this country for demoralising sportspeople. ... At worst it is hypocritical, and dangerous. ...

What they have in common is having been humiliated by the sports that fostered their fame, if not by their own actions then by ideas about them projected either by corporate face-saving or by the double standards of their audience.

Yes, Smith conspired to break cricket’s rules. It needs to be discouraged, but manipulating a cricket ball to make it swing is hardly a lynching conspiracy in cricket – it’s common practice. The level to which his players stooped in participating was unusual but his treatment was beyond the scope of sport, and had an air of sick about it. To read later in the British press the outrageous suggestion of Smith’s “crocodile tears” was testament to the morality of the story being more theatrical than it was accurate.

It’s hard to imagine it was only an inner calling to shepherd the nation’s morals that lead [sic] CA executives to ban the Australian trio for an unprecedented 12 months. It’s far easier to imagine that what made it possible was the administrators’ own embarrassment, and desire to retain their jobs.

What must have been in Faf du Plessis’ head, sitting at a press conference in South Africa (having been twice caught ball-tampering), watching his fallen comrade Smith be dismantled before a global audience? If he felt some survivor’s guilt he might also have felt that South Africa was in the end beaten by Australia, if not on the field then by an idea of its greater righteousness. Your ball-tampering captain may have won the series, but ours won't play the best year of his career.

It was a corporate lynching, perhaps someday for the sake of cricket, but now for the sake of a myth about Australian culture, the same culture the current players learned from their new coach’s generation, which, in some “cultural” way lead [sic] them to this. So far it has all worked to trample the lives of the men in the arena, and preserve the sanctity of the administrators, who displayed neither the grit to resign their own positions, nor to stand up for their captain.

What those Australian cricketers did is ridiculous, more than it is sinister. What is sinister is the total destruction of these men by popular opinion. No one thinking clearly would condone the players’ actions in SA, but who can say that the whole story did not reveal more about our strange relationship to sports people than it did about the players themselves?

K 

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:52 pm

Smith should return to captaincy: Taylor
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/smith-should-return-to-captaincy-taylor-20180506-p4zdoj.html

Mark Taylor: "Steve Smith to me, and everyone wants to label people, is not a cheat. Steve Smith was guilty of negligence in my opinion."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23419780/bloody-good-human-beings-love-dearly

Darren Lehmann: "Hopefully, everyone forgives them. I'm sure they will. They're bloody good human beings and I love them dearly. I speak to them quite a lot. It's a case of keeping in contact because I worry about them. They're going okay."

[Comment: the Fairfax headline seems to be pushing it a bit. The direct quote in the article used the word "can", not "should". Fairfax no doubt would claim that the context of the Ch. 9 question (which I haven't seen) indicated "should" was justified.]
K 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Bob Every resigns from Cricket Australia Board

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23429103/bob-every-resigns-cricket-australia-board

D. Brettig wrote:
The commissioning of the Ethics Centre to conduct a review into the overall culture of CA, from the chairman David Peever down, is believed to have been a sore point. ...

This experience made him by a distance the most accomplished corporate figure on the CA Board, making his voice one of the most respected among its nine members. Every's links to cricket were also strong ...

Mark Taylor, the former Test captain and longtime CA director, was close to Every after the pair had become friends due to past corporate links. Taylor had previously indicated that he was unlikely to serve another term as a CA director after he was reappointed at last year's AGM for a further three years, but following Channel Nine's loss of the rights to broadcast cricket in Australia he has been touted as a possible chairman. How Every's departure affects Taylor's thinking remains to be seen.

Another area for concern about the reviews being conducted is the fact that the facilitator of the teams review, Peter Collins of the Centre for Ethical Leadership, is a longtime paid consultant of CA. Formerly with the management consulting firm McKinsey, Collins has worked closely with Sutherland in particular for many years, in addition to advising CA's management team more generally. Still more significantly, Collins was also a mentor to Ricky Ponting during his early days as the national captain.

http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window/peeved-bob-every-quits-cricket-australia-board-20180506-h0zpgg

J. Aston wrote:
We did ask CA how much lucre it's slinging Longstaff to conduct this fearless moral audit but Jolimont Street declined to share the Samantha Mumba on the Gregory Peck, falling back on that old "commercial-in-confidence" chestnut. Ethical opacity. Apparently it's whole a thing!

CA chairman David Peever has brought in Longstaff right after the upstanding doctor authored an independent report into the culture of the Australian Olympic Committee under John Coates (price tag also unknown), triggered by a Coles queue of bullying complaints and the resignation of chief executive Fiona de Jong (and the unsuccessful putsch against Coates). Longstaff produced acres of obsequious praise for Coates and a few paragraphs equivalent to flogging him with a short strand of orange peel.

... Every will never do that, because, on Friday, he resigned, abruptly, from CA's board. The former mining boss (something Peever, a middle-ranking Rio Tinto paper shuffler, never was) was the only actual business leader and, alongside Mark Taylor, the only leader of any meaningful kind, sitting at that table. CA has expunged Every from its website. ...

We do know that Dr Every openly contested Peever's commission of Dr Longstaff's paid apologia. One can only assume his catatonic peers sided with the chair. Hey, nobody can question the keenness of their survival instincts!

But even more mind-blowingly (and here's our second piece of new information), the same circle of dolts has also resolved (unanimously but for Every's exception) to proffer the bungling Peever to the state cricket associations as CA chair for a further three years. This also remains undisclosed. ...

With nobody willing to disclose what the celebrity ethicist's time is worth, we can only rely on his own pitch: pay the Ethics Centre $50,000 each year and you can "exercise your collective wisdom to leverage real global cultural change" but, more importantly, get "one-to-one consultation with Dr Simon Longstaff as required". Panic not: there are cheaper options, but with lesser access to the great man.

Longstaff was also previously paid by AMP as a consultant on "socially responsible investing" (not, in his defence, itemised customer invoicing). Cash-tiered levels of ethical intergalactic oneness and stipends drawn from high priests of corporate scandal – marvel as irony goes fully transcendental.

K 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:57 pm

http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window/cricket-australias-top-personnel-paid-6m-20170615-gws3cd

J. Aston (15/6/2017) wrote:
... the key management personnel – and that's chairman David Peever, current directors Earl Eddings, former Wesfarmers chair Bob Every, Melbourne F1 boss John Harndem, token Tasmanian Tony Harrison, Qantas director Jacquie Hey, former Aussie paceman Michael Kasprowicz, former captain Mark Taylor and former Vocation director Michelle Tredenick, as well as former directors Wally Edwards, the late John Bannon and Kevin Roberts (who left the board in that fiscal year for an executive role and is considered successor to chief executive James Sutherland), plus "the executives with the authority for the strategic direction and management of the Company" took home $5.6 million in fiscal 2016. ...

... as recently as the last home Ashes ..., CA directors received zero remuneration. All but the chairman were volunteers. That could have changed without disclosure but, has it not, Peever, Sutherland and an unidentified number of executives "with the authority" etc, are making off with hatfuls ...

K 

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:23 pm

Tim Paine:

[On whether Warner was ostracised by the group] "No, he wasn't actually. Certainly the week in South Africa was very difficult and everyone said that, but guys in that team get along well and David is a respected member of that team and always has been. For as long as I've been around the team, he's been really well-liked and really well-received by his teammates."

"All three are certainly going to be welcomed back into our team, if they're prepared to toe the line with our new brand of cricket, which I know they will."

"Justin and I are certainly on the same page with the way we want it to look."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23458321/tim-paine-denies-david-warner-relationship-broken

R. Craddock (Monday, SEN): "How do you have cultural shift and Warner in the same team?"
[See below.*]

Tim Paine: "I certainly like Crash Craddock's writing. But I thought he was a little bit off the mark there."

"There's a side of David that people don't know. He is very loyal and really caring and a good team man to have around."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/paine-would-welcome-warner-back-to-australian-team-20180510-p4zels.html

R. Craddock: "For me his big issue is David Warner. Because Langer wants mateship in the team. I don’t believe mateship and Warner are compatible. Because half the players can't stand him. They contacted Cricket Australia and said they didn’t want to play with him again. Now they should have no choice in that; it’s not their decision but that’s the vibe."

“A lot of people believe ... that if you took Warner out of the team, guess what? All your behavioural problems are solved aren’t they? Who's the other trouble maker in the team? Is there another one?”

* Craddock's segment is here:
https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=192931
[ https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/05/07/how-do-you-have-cultural-shift-and-warner-in-the-same-team/ ]
K 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:20 am

Bancroft cleared to play by Perth clubs
Quote:
The CA charge sheet stipulated that all players were banned from playing for Australia or their states, but remained able to play club cricket.

However Western Australia club cricket regulations state that any player suspended from playing for the state side the Warriors is also barred from playing in Perth Premier Cricket. A vote of the competition's 16 clubs was required to turn this around, with a simple majority enough to allow Bancroft to play. On Monday night, 14 clubs voted in favour of letting him play, with two against.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23501552/cameron-bancroft-cleared-play-perth-clubs

It seems someone leaked that info, because Fairfax says: 'WACA chief executive Christina Matthews wasn't allowed to reveal the exact numbers of the vote, but said it was a "very strong majority". ... Bancroft wasn't present for the vote, with Matthews revealing the right-hander was at yoga.'

Also:

Warner confirms Sydney grade stint with Randwick Petersham
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/warner-confirms-sydney-grade-stint-with-randwick-petersham-20180516-p4zfr0.html

Smith keenly sought by T20 leagues
Quote:
Fairfax Media understands Smith's management has been inundated with offers to play in competitions organised by Sri Lanka, Pakistan and the Caribbean as well as leagues run by the Afghanistan, United Arab Emirates and Canada boards.

Smith has resumed training, raising speculation a return to competitive cricket may not be far away.

It's understood Smith has not ruled out any league and is looking at how each would fit in with his calendar.

CA is fully supportive of Smith playing in a sanctioned T20 league during his suspension.

While Smith's schedule remains in the air, he will certainly pad up for his grade club Sutherland in Sydney's Premier Cricket competition.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/smith-keenly-sought-by-t20-leagues-20180518-p4zg7u.html
K 

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:18 am

Cricket Australia secures deal for new major sponsor

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket-australia-secures-deal-for-new-major-sponsor-20180522-p4zgw5.html

"CA has since signed a record six-year TV deal worth $1.18 billion and now sold its branding rights on the national team’s shirts.

The governing body had been under pressure from its corporate partners after the ball tampering crisis with wealth management company Magellan ending a lucrative agreement one year into a three-year deal.

Qantas also expressed its disappointment but continued its shirt sponsorship deal. Magellan had held the naming rights for the Test series."
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:33 am

A. Wu wrote:
Relations between the ACA and CA remain strained despite the resolution of the pay saga. The two parties were again at loggerheads in the aftermath of the ball tampering scandal in South Africa.

The ACA had been urging Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft to fight the lengthy bans imposed by CA, which it believed were "disproportionate", however the trio accepted the sanctions which head office believed was a slap in the face to the union.

The ACA has also questioned the independence of the review called by CA to investigate whether any cultural, organisational and governance issues at Jolimont had contributed to crisis in South Africa.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/cricket-s-players-boss-in-line-to-be-demons-chief-20180523-p4zh22.html

[Comment: I wonder whether the highlighted claim is verified info or just a plausible extrapolation of what we knew already.]
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:47 am

'I paid the ultimate price': Candice Warner tells of miscarriage after ball-tampering scandal

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/i-paid-the-ultimate-price-candice-warner-tells-of-miscarriage-after-ball-tampering-scandal-20180524-p4zh59.html

"In an interview with Australian Woman’s Weekly, Mrs Warner said the stress and taunting she received after the incident led to her miscarriage."

Candice Warner:

“I'd have to be bullet-proof for the taunting not to have affected me.

“It rocked my very foundation and I paid the ultimate price, losing our baby. I wonder how all those who came after me feel now?"

"I called Dave to the bathroom and told him I was bleeding. We knew I was miscarrying. We held one another and cried."

"I don't think either of us realised how much we longed for this baby.”

[Comment: I tentatively believe* and am horrified.
* https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6644-stress-can-make-pregnant-women-miscarry/ ]
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:36 pm

Infamy, redemption entwine for Smith and Warner

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23569979/infamy-redemption-entwine-steven-smith-david-warner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 13 of 24   

Jump to: